To my natural ladies! I have no idea what I'm doin

Innocent_Kiss

To my natural ladies! I have no idea what I\'m doin

Ok, in a nutshell, I'm temporarily transitioning. I'm not sure if I'll relax when I get to a desired length or if I'll stay natural -- but for right now I'm all natural
Anyway, I decided to give my self a break from braids and I have a sew-in. I'm taking it out this weekend and right now I'm thinking of wiggin' it up for about a month. Anywho, when I take the sew-in out I'mma need to do some serious deep conditioning, cleaning, and treatment. I'm, ofcourse, use to taking care of relaxed hair so I'm a tad bit green on all of this. My hair grows pretty good, it's just keeping my strands STRONG enough so I'll retain some friggin length in this bad fella! Can any of you recommend a simple regime (with products) I can do when I take my hair down. I'm REALLY looking for a strengthening CO. Help a sista out

Thanks

Ayeshia

Re: To my natural ladies! I have no idea what I\'m doin

I like GPB, I dont think you really need a strong protein conditioner for natural hair unless you are constantly heat styling. I only use it once a month

Innocent_Kiss

What does GPB stand for?
And thanks for the tip! Actually, I'm not looking for a strong conditioner..I can use something light and intensify the treatment with steam and or time. But does strengthening conditioners have to have protein?

Thanks Ayeshia

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:
What does GPB stand for?
And thanks for the tip! Actually, I'm not looking for a strong conditioner..I can use something light and intensify the treatment with steam and or time. But does strengthening conditioners have to have protein?

Thanks Ayeshia

[/ QUOTE ]

It stands for Glycogen Protein Balancer. This would be the perfect conditioner for you if you are looking for a light treatment, that strengthens. I actually have pics of me deep conditioning with it in my album. And yes I think that you need some protein in the conditioner in order to strengthen, mainly keratin, If Im not mistaken

NGC

I would look for a good conditioner that is very moisturizing. For me it is Redken All Soft Heavy conditioner or Back to Basics Raspberry and Almond or B2B Honey.

Do you plan to cornrow your hair while wearing wigs? My hair (especially the edges) are not cornrow friendly but if you plan to do so then get a good hair oil. When my hair is in a medium term protective style then I like to apply jojoba oil with peppermint e.o. added.

Do you use shampoo? I like CON or a homemade version.

HTH

Ayeshia

GBP is very moisturizng too, never had a problem with my hair being dry afterward

Innocent_Kiss

Oh, and NGC thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into that
Yeah, I plan on either wearing cornrolls or flat twist while my hair is under the wig. My edges hate even the slightest tension, too, so I'll make sure they're put in with care. Until I'm able to purchase more EO's I have an oil blend call Africa's Best Herbal Oil Blend with a lot of essential and carrier oils. My hair and skin loves it and it smells great, so this'll be my substitute. Yes, I'll use shampoo when I take my hair out of the sew-in because I have the curly type of weave and it's synthetic hair. If you wet it it gets tangly and matted so I haven't been able to properly cleanse my scalp and hair for weeks! I'll defintely have to use a shampoo.

You make your own shampoo? What ingredient do you use for cleansing? I heard Soapnut is natural and gently cleanses.

NGC

Yes GBP is boith moisturizing and strengthening. When I had synthetic braids (wore them for 18 months back to back) my hair need serious moisture and the products I recommended above did the trick

Soapnut is great and all natural yes. I also use castile soap as a base and add oil, etc.

You can add e.o. like lemongrass and orange as antifungal and antibacterial. Also you can add lavender and rosemary e.o. for additional benefits.

I love Africa's Best Hair Oil. It's my fav when I do mix my own. The smell is divine.

Flat twists are really gentle (I like them a lot better than cornrows - I just gotta practice so I can grwo up and be like Kha).