To COW or not to COW?

curlilocs

It seems that a lot of you ladies do conditioner washes on the regular. Are there any of you that have totally eliminated shampoo from your hair care routine, I mean totally? In doing so, what have you noticed the most about the condition of your hair? Is it more manageable? Does it grow faster? Blah, blah, blah....I'm just curious to hear some real life testimony.

Personally, i don't think you should cow all the time. I just think that causes too much buildup, I do mine once or twice a week but i wash my hair (shamp and cond) pretty much everyday. I found that combining WGO and cond is a bad combo..when i cond wash my hair after using WGO it gets all gooey and gross, the only way to get the oil out, for me at least is to use shampoo.

Ok I have to add that I use lots of moisturizer doing the day, you would think all that washing would make my hair dryer but its getting really healthy.

Last edited:
It's a catch 22 for me- If I wash with a strong "foaming" shampoo my hair is way too dry and coarse but if I don't wash it its unruly bc I can't brush it when dry! So a while back I switched to Diva curl brand no poo shampoo (no lather) or their low poo shampoo and when it needs a deeper cleaning I use the Ouidad Moisture shampoo. Basically I try to only wash it 3x per week though.

I had gone to all natural shampoo's then due to financial problems could not keep up. I did not want to go back to shampoo cheap or other wise because I had had good moisture problems improvement with natural. So I took the plunge and started with sauve conditioner washes. The first time I saw such a difference I never went back to natural or any other shampoo. I switched to CO for my daughters and their hair improved tremenddously. The improvement noted was the reduced need for additional products to moisturize and retain moisture. All of our hair is different 2ab my oldest, 2b3bc my youngest to my crimpy 3bc. My oldest no longer got flakes and the oiliness was reduced. Her hair only needs shea butter to protect her last 5 inches. The youngest hair is not as dry and frizzy and little need for extra products. Due to her ballet need for a smooth crown and bun we use a gel but the Conditioners have been fine washing it out. I have sinced moved on to water only but CW helped with dryness for me too.
With less dryness then less breakage. No need for alot of in between product so less build up. The cuticles seemed iimproved on all of us. More shine and slip and minimal tangles.

I haven't used shampoo since finding LHCF in March. My scalp feels great. I don't feel that I have a lot of buildup, but then again I rinse and bun my hair almost every day. I might feel differently if I wore my hair down or CW'd less often.

I still shampoo once a week and CW 3-4x a week. I think shampoo is necessary is rid your hair of any buildup.

I conditioner wash 1-2 times a week. I shampoo about once per month.
My hair is much softer & has better sheen when I do not shampoo. Although the shampoo I use is less harsh than some(Dr. Bronners 18-in-1 castile soap), I still prefer to do this once a month. I don't experience build up because I only use products (shea butter & aloe) 1-2 times a week. If you keep a simple routine with few products you shouldn't have to worry about build-up. HTH

I wash my hair with shampoo only once a week to rid of all the styling product that's been accumulated during the course of time. But I love COWing either 3 or 4 times a week because my relaxed hair needs moisture, and it's a lot easier to manage when you're pressed for time. I only use non-ALS-SLS shampoos or my Kirk's Castile soap with a few drops of peppermint EO to cleanse my hair and scalp. My conditioners I use to wash are Pantene, VO5 and HE (Herbal Essences). I may add a few more conditioners to my stash so I can alternate them when needed.

BC

I wash my hair once a week or every 7-8 days with CON then braid my hair back up. I do not and I repeat do not condition my hair after I shampoo. I only deep condition after every relaxer touch-up and that is 8-9 weeks. My hair does not dry out or get brittle from lack of conditioning. I find that it dries my hair out and it tangles easily IF I condition after every wash. So, I'll just wash it, comb it out and twist my hair in 4 big twists with a light leave-in and some oil on my ends, wear it up in a bun and that's it till my next washing..simplicity.

http://public.fotki.com/Diane71/

I like to shampoo and condition my hair twice a week, and CO wash maybe once or twice in between there. I find that I need shampoo at least twice a week because I like to apply some type of oil/grease to my scalp, and conditioner does not get it out. Right now I have braids, so depending on what my hair is acting like when I take them out will determine whether I alter my regimen or not.

Back