Tips for the natural/relaxed rollercoaster ride

DahomeyAhosi

It's interesting to see so many transitioners and also interesting to see so many ladies who have been natural turning to texturizers and relaxers. I am currently texturized but am thinking about going natural at the end of 2004. I thought it would be nice if those of us who've spent a significant amount of time in both camps (relaxed and natural) to list your personal pros and cons for those who are considering transitioning so I'll start:

<font color="purple"> Pros of relaxing/texturizing</font>
1. Less detangling time
2. Fewer knots at the ends of strands and less hair lost to knots
3. Less styling time (I don't ever use heat)

<font color="purple"> Cons of relaxing </font>

1. Chemicals weaken hair =&gt; Shedding and breakage increased significantly
2. Reliance on stylists to apply chemicals (I'm too scared to self-relax) and the cost of paying the stylist

<font color="purple"> Pros of being natural</font>
1. Big Thick, healthy, luscious hair (ok maybe I should break that one out lol)

<font color="purple"> Cons of being natural</font>
1. Detangling is a monster
2. harder to find a stylist who is both willing and knowledgable about my hair (but I also found that a stylist wasn't really necessary)

sabie19

Thanks for the tips. I'm going natural now. I haven't had a relaxer since April 2003. I'm proud of myself because I am so young (15 years old) and thinking about my hair and the things that I do to it. I'm personally glad that I have decided to be natural because when I was relaxed, my hair last year was thin and flat. It was very unhealthy and by the time I will turn 20 my beautiful hair would probably be chin lenght. I went from almost mid back lenght to last year being 2 inches past my shoulders. I am planning on having my hair become long like it was and even longer with the help of this forum.

pookeylou

Wow...this made me think...

<font color="red"> Pros for Natural: </font>
Thicker hair
Faster growing hair
Retain a lot of length since I dont use heat or chemicals
Strong hair
Versitile hair (should I choose to use heat to straighten or remain nappy and coily)
Unique hair

<font color="red"> Cons of Natural Hair: </font>
Negative view from others (although this is slowly changing)
Negative comments (This just made me stronger

<font color="red">Pros of Relaxer: </font>
I was accepted by others (which at one time meant a lot to me)

<font color="red">Cons of Relaxer: </font>

Chemical burns
Thinning hair
Dependance on stylist
Cost of maintenance