Those of you doing C&G, do you straighten your hair first?

so so chic

I ask because on www.growafrohairlong.com, she recommends to press or blowdry hair first. I imagine that it would make the braiding process easier, but was curious if you ladies do this.

Also, is there anyone who uses all of the products that she recommends...Infusium 23, African Royale braid spray, Lekair Cholestrol Plus, CON, etc? Would spraying the Infusium 23 and braid spray on the braids everyday be too much? I'm going to do the C&G method for the first time, and was planning on doing it EXACTLY as she recommends and would like to know if anyone else does it her way to the tee.

hothair

Well i don't know if I'd qualify, I don't like the smell of braid sprays so I used dilute MNT (Mane N Tail conditioner). I tried using infusium 23 everyday but I think it made my hair too dry/ hard. I prefer Lustrasilk shea butter to LeKair so I use that instead, I think Patient 1 may have used her method more closely. I DO use the afrodetangler and it seems to really help do what it says so far HTH

BTW: You've got a healthy looking head of hair so I would say try her methods/ products but don't hesitate to improvise or incorporate what's worked for you.

nikkivale

so so chic said:
I ask because on www.growafrohairlong.com, she recommends to press or blowdry hair first. I imagine that it would make the braiding process easier, but was curious if you ladies do this.

Also, is there anyone who uses all of the products that she recommends...Infusium 23, African Royale braid spray, Lekair Cholestrol Plus, CON, etc? Would spraying the Infusium 23 and braid spray on the braids everyday be too much? I'm going to do the C&G method for the first time, and was planning on doing it EXACTLY as she recommends and would like to know if anyone else does it her way to the tee.

I've been doing C&G religiously since January (off and on in previous years), this is the first time ive had my hair straightened before putting the braids in, but only because i just didn't feel like washing first this time (i never knew she suggested this but some of her suggestions have changed a little since i discovered it).

I use the recommended products that she suggests when doing C&G, and deep condition just like she does. This is my last time doing C&G with extensions. I plan on doing twists instead and i wont be using the products anymore because i have decided to go the organic route.

so so chic

Chloeshan said:
I don't use heat to straighten but I do flat twists or cane rows to stretch it out a bit.

While I do use C&G, I don't follow it to a T. Infusium makes my hair hard so I don't use it at all. I use Better Braids Leave In Conditioner instead of the one she recommends. I have the cholesterol treatment but I'm not sure of the brand, whichever was in Wal Mart.

I tweak the C&G to what works already for my hair. It's just my protective style guide of choice and it's a great template to begin with.

Thanks!!! I think I may do the same thing, and just twist and airdry my hair instead of using heat. I haven't used heat in so long, I'd hate to use it now if it's not really necessary. I just find it strange that she says to use the Lekair Cholesterol, without any other suggestions such as moisturinzing conditioners, being that not everyone may need protein.

so so chic

nikkivale said:
I've been doing C&G religiously since January (off and on in previous years), this is the first time ive had my hair straightened before putting the braids in, but only because i just didn't feel like washing first this time (i never knew she suggested this but some of her suggestions have changed a little since i discovered it).

I use the recommended products that she suggests when doing C&G, and deep condition just like she does. This is my last time doing C&G with extensions. I plan on doing twists instead and i wont be using the products anymore because i have decided to go the organic route.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to try and stick with her recommendations as close as I feel I should (according to the stuff I learn on here), and I'll see how my hair turns out once I remover the braids.

Nonie

I will chime in, although I don't really do the C&G...coz I am too lazy to undo my braids once they're in *shameface*. But I do wear braids and never straighten my hair before putting them in. Not only would it make my hair more slippery hence require more effort in my doing the braids firmly, but I also believe that it'd only make my braids look horrible when I did finally wash my hair. (OK, maybe this doesn't apply...coz I don't remember if one washes hair in braids with the C&G).

I believe the reason some straighten the hair is to make parting easier...and because the stylist believes the braids will look neater with less hair poking out of the braids since it's smooth. But I can still achieve smooth braids using my 4a/b hair as it is after a wash. Here's a pic that shows a comparison of the before and a close-up of after. Also there isn't much difference in the area containing my hair before or after a wash, because my hair was braided shrunken so it doesn't shrink anymore when washed - which would happen if it had been braided straight: a wash would make my hair shrink and the braid look messy.

Last edited:

so so chic

Nonie said:
I will chime in, although I don't really do the C&G...coz I am too lazy to undo my braids once they're in *shameface*. But I do wear braids and never straighten my hair before putting them in. Not only would it make my hair more slippery hence require more effort in my doing the braids firmly, but I also believe that it'd only make my braids look horrible when I did finally wash my hair. (OK, maybe this doesn't apply...coz I don't remember if one washes hair in braids with the C&G).

I believe the reason some straighten the hair is to make parting easier...and because the stylist believes the braids will look neater with less hair poking out of the braids since it's smooth. But I can still achieve smooth braids using my 4a/b hair as it is after a wash. Here's a pic that shows a comparison of the before and a close-up of after. Also there isn't much difference in the area containing my hair before or after a wash, because my hair was braided shrunken so it doesn't shrink anymore when washed - which would happen if it had been braided straight: a wash would make my hair shrink and the braid look messy.

You made a really good point here. Thanks a lot for your response. I will definitely not worry about straightening my hair now. Thanks :) .