Thin Ends????

LucieLoo12

Is there a way to thicken up your ends? Ive have been bunning for awhile now, and I am noticing my ends are looking thin. I dont know why this is happening, but its very frustating...Any solution to this?

When i wear my bun i make sure my ends are moisturized and sealed and tucked.......

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Many people including myself use castor oil which helps to thicken up your hair. You don't have to slather it on heavily to see results, just use it consistently.

Just as a personal caution, I don't bun super regularly because, for me, I found it played a role in my hair thinning as well. So consider changing up your style regularly...even with loose buns.

TLC1020

Not sure if you can make your ends thicker besides a good trim. I bun also but it really depends on how take care of your ends. I don't care for the donut bun, just don't like the tension. Maybe keep your ends moisturize and hidden..

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Sometimes your hair isn't actually getting thin...it may be just that your hair is growing in unevenly. Since not all the hair is the same length on the ends, it may seem that it's thinner than the rest of your hair. Unless your ends are frayed, full of split ends or looking worn, I say keep bunning and don't trim.

Nonie

MHO is that for most people, hair thins because it's old and worn out. Even people who wear buns 24/7 (Wanakee) have to dust regularly to keep ends looking thick and full. There are those who can get away with not doing so, but IMO most won't.

I don't agree with the theory that ends look thin because they are at different growing stages because if that were the case, then when you have a TWA, you'd start looking like a troll before too long because the different growth stages would not wait till a couple of years later to become evident. They should be evident right from the get-go. But that's not usually the case.

Hair thins because ends that have been around a while split and then tear away, leaving a partial hair that has a smaller diameter than the rest of the hair. I bet you if you were to follow the hair from ends to base, you'd notice it gets thicker as you get closer to your scalp because it is only the newer hair that is whole.

Many disagree with me but the only solution is to dust. Search and destroy means waiting till damage has been done to then chop off the damaged hair. Regular dusting means you prevent that damage from ever coming to be by getting rid of the hint that it's about to happen. Dusting means getting rid of a lot less than you would waiting for months for the hair to be already in bad shape.

NaturallyMo

A good trim is really the only way to ensure that your ends are full and healthy. Since they are the oldest, and most often the most damaged part of your hair, it does more harm than good to hold on to them just for the sake of length. Once trimmed, you can do things to reduce/prevent splits and help thicken up strands like henna or using castor oil as one pp said.