The Not-so- nice side effects of healthy hair?

teacherjess

I have been on my healthy hair quest for a little over a year. I have learned alot, and my hair is thicker, healthier and I'm starting to see the length come too. Overall, I'm very happy about this:yep:

I am quite annoyed, though because I have noticed a few unpleasant things since my haircare habits changed. First of all, I can't for the life of me permanently unclog my bathtub drain. I buy Drano Max, Liquid Plumber, etc. monthly. My drain is clear for a few days tops and there it is clogged up again. I haven't called a plumber because I really just can't afford it right now. Secondly, my ears are constantly itching because I am washing my hair so much more often. I don't know if the water is getting in there and causing something to grow or what, but they constantly itch and it drives me crazy! I find myself sitting in meetings with a pen cap stuck in my ears to try to find relief. :nono: Do they make drops for this or something?

Anybody else notice unpleasant "side effects" of better haircare?

LOL... yeah, I definitely have that drain problem as well... I purchased a hair catcher but even w/ that I still manage to keep my tub drain clogged :ohwell:

This might sound strange since it's bath tub drain, but have you tried using a plunger? I know plungers are normally for toilets, but I tried it to unclog my bathroom sink. (BTW, I had one that had never been used in a toilet) It worked like a charm, much better than Drano did.

So far just the clogged drain but I try to remember to pull the hair out my comb every few passes to minimize the hair that gets in the catcher it seems to be working so far

I can totally agree with longer hairs down the drain of my sink and my bathtub. My other issue is with highly perfumed products. I loved VS So Sexy conditioner - talk about slip - but the fragrance gave me chest pains. AOHSR and AOWC were the same way, but not as severe.

The ear icthing may be an ear infection - they sell drops at the drug store.

I had an earache which cleared up fairly quickly (in about a day or so) by using Similisan ear drops

I agree also w/ the clogged drain. I also think that buy products is a side effect also b/c I always think I'm going to find the perfect product for my hair. Being impatient is another side effect.

I can relate. From time to time I get water in my ears. and I hate jumping in & out of the shower.
Have you tried the baking soda, vinegar followed by flushing with boiling water for clogs?
Not sure of the proportions, but you can find them online

Also a zip-it (hardware store) is nice to clean hair/gunk out of the drain that can get past a haircatcher. HTH

ETA http://www.doityourself.com/stry/unclogtubdrain
Keeping Drains Clear

Clearing a blocked drain isn't a lot of fun. It's much better to prevent a clog from happening in the first place. Here's some tips on how you can keep your bathtub drains free flowing.

• Use strainers in all your drains to stop hair from going down the drain. It's easier to clear out a strainer once a month than unblock a drain every six.
  • Don't just drop small pieces of soap down the drain assuming they will dissolve and wash away. That's how soap builds up in a drain.
  • Once a month, pour a kettle full of boiling water down the drain. This will melt any grease (body oil) and wash it away before it can build up. (Don't do this in a toilet; the boiling water could crack the porcelain).
  • Every three months or so, pour a half cup of baking soda in the drain then slowly add a half cup of vinegar. Let the mixture sit in the drain for a few minutes and then rinse it away by running lots of hot water down the drain. This will not only keep your drains free running, but clean smelling as well.

For me since I style our hair in the garage it has been an overload of products on my garage worktable. So any time I need plug in the electric power tools I knock over a ton of products and have run out of work space.

Here is what will help with the drain. It has saved me tons of money or plummbers and draino.

Evriholder_medium.jpg

As for the ears you can get these real cheap at the Drug Store.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5670.htm

You can clean them and keep them in your shower area and use them when washing your hair.

:yep:

Speaking from experience.

Last edited:
also, you can try washing your hair in braids... i braid my hair in 4 plats and clip the ends w/barrettes... this way i'm able to get to & focus on cleaning the scalp while also prevent me from piling hair on top thus causing tangles... i also dc in the braids

I use this: http://zipitclean.com/ in my drains when they start running slow. It pulls all the hair out without the chemicals.

I almost gagged when I used it for the first time after moving into my apartment....I know all that hair wasn't mine!:eek:

I love wash'ngos and found that my secret to the itchies is cowash less frequently and just rinse.

put conditioner in hair while dry,
go in the shower,
rinse out hair first,
squeeze out as much water as possible,
apply condition generously to hair and avoiding the scalp
put on shower cap
wash the rest of my body, etc
dress as soon as I come out of the shower
place my hair towel over my shoulders before removing the shower cap
use blow dryer with diffuser (or air dry when the weather is warm)

They also have those things called snakes in your local hardware store you can use yourself they are really easy to use.

You can snake your own drain instead of calling a plummber.

I definitely agree that you should try plunging. I had to do so a couple of weeks back and and it did wonders. I had almost forgotten what it was like to shower without the water accumulating in my tub!

Yah this has happened to me... I went superhood and pulled out the wire hanger... worked like the charm :yep:

:lachen::rofl::lachen:

That sounds kinda hard though...:look:

There is some tv advertisement with some wire drain unclogger,,i guess its similar :scratchch

I definitely agree that you should try plunging. I had to do so a couple of weeks back and and it did wonders. I had almost forgotten what it was like to shower without the water accumulating in my tub!

Girl look at allll that hair!! :drool:

And I used to end up with a whole bathtub full of water when I took a shower at my old apartment:lachen:

I think it was already partially clogged before I moved in....:giggle:

my skin by far

my skin is suffering from all the conditioner and oils
they are breaking me out
my skin used to be clear it really kind of sucks :nono:

I'm not even gonna get started on my wallet. :look:

Back