the hair that grows out after u stop relaxing

keke

Is NOT your actual hair texture? Ok im confused i read this on another site i was wondering what does that mean? I thought that after u stop relaxing for a while and then ya newgrowth comes in that that is what your hair REALLY is. Cause if not then what is that hair then? Those of you who have been natural for a long time(1 year or more) do u no about the 'real' texture thing?

Scab hair you mean. It's the hair directly underneath the scalp that has been affected by the chemicals. It usually takes 6 months to grow out. I am not natural but both of my sisters are. You will know your real texture because it will be softer and easier to manage.

Oh? Is that right? Wow.
laugh.gif
Well i cant wait for that. :^D

I'd also like to add that this only affects some people. The longer that a person was relaxed, the more likely they will be affected. Usually the hair is still sort of straight, and dry and brittle.

ive been transitionin for only 5 months but my new growth is soft, an ive been relaxed since i was only 7. if it gets better than the new growth i currently have then bring it on,, but right now im in love with my hair texture an wouldnt change an thing.

If anything, I think when my new growth was 1/2 inch long is when it was this so-called scab hair. When I relaxed regularly, it always felt hard at that 1/2 inch when it was just coming in and that's why I couldn't wait to get a touch-up. BUT, now that I am so far past that hump, it has been free-sailing. My new growth is very soft. It's like, it needed to get to 1 inch to feel soft. Now, I don't know for sure if that was scab hair b/c I do not feel any traces of that hardness now.

I don't believe that I encountered the "scab hair" thing even after 18 straight yrs of bone straight relaxing... (& I was anticipating having it too). Anywho, my new growth came in very curly & soft... Now (just a few days away from) 6 mths into transitioning, my new growth still feels the same way it initially did.

Hey, maybe all of the natural length that I have now is scab hair
confused.gif
.... It so, then I absolutely can not wait to see & feel my true texture
trampoline.gif
... but seriously, I think this is my true texture
smile.gif

Peachtree,

Yeah, at this point, I think it's safe to say it's that we both have the texture it's going to be. I can't imagine 6 inches of hair that's going to just change out of the blue!

Also for me, I take care of my hair completely differently now than I did back then when I got new growth! So, most likely, it was my lack of moisture that caused this hardness to my new growth!

My best friend has been natural for about 1 1/2-2 years. Recently, like in the past 3-4 months, she got her hair cut (not the first time, she had trims in the past), she said she cut her hair because it had become hard from other stresses such as braids and chemicals (probably in scab hair). She cut the ends so she could get her soft curly texture, the reason she decided to go natural in the first place. She cut relaxed ends long ago, but here it is much later and she is cutting hard hair, so I don't know if everybody gets scab hair, but I do feel like the hair that grows after that first six months to a year is probably the real deal. If you go to www.nappturality.com, some of the ladies mention having to cut hair because of dry ends that get hard and some know that it is scab hair.

I certainly had scab hair when I went natural. I don't know if this happens to everyone but I agree 100% with Serei about the difference in textures.

I don't think I had scab hair and if I did, I didn't have it for very long. But my relaxer use was erratic. Sometimes I was relaxed, and then I would cut my hair and go natural for a few years, and then relax again, and then go natural. I had my last relaxer about 2 years ago. My hair is 11-13 inches and my hair is soft.

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
I'd also like to add that this only affects some people. The longer that a person was relaxed, the more likely they will be affected. Usually the hair is still sort of straight, and dry and brittle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had scab hair when after I did the Big Chop and it was *extremely* dry and brittle. After a couple of months, my scab hair was "gone". I didn't cut it off but it no longer felt brittle and dry!

The following is a direct quote from "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell, in which she explains the term "scab hair."

"Hair that has been chemically processed for many years will grow out curlier and in some instances feel dry because of the long-time use of the caustic lye (relaxer) that has stripped the hair follicle of its natural oils and nutrients. Your hair goes through a healing process similar to a wound on the skin, which becomes supple again after the scab falls off. As the new hair growth lengthens, the follicle and scalp have a chance to be rejuvenated, heal and eventually replenish the natural sebum to the hair. The new hair will then begin to feel soft and pleasing. And of course, changing to hair care products that are formulated for curly hair will make a difference in how the hair looks and feels (pg. 69)."

Like skegeesmb, I would relax here and there. I would sometimes not relax for 2 years at a time. Anyhow, my last relaxer was in April and my hair is soft except for a section on the bottom left side. I really have to apply extra moisture to get it to feel soft. We will see how the next 6 months go. In the meanwhile, I will be monitoring that side.

Back