The Crossroad: Cute Fashionable Hairstyles or Protective Styles?

brnz271

I was looking at some YouTube videos yesterday and I discovered itsjudytime's channel. Her videos are all about hair and beauty. I checked out some of her hairstyling videos, which are great by the way, and I noticed that she styled her hair frequently yet still maintained the health of her hair.

I want to try some new styles because for the past couple of months all I have been wearing are buns and my hair down occasionally. I am tired of wearing the same old bun and want to wear some cute and fashionable styles but I don't want to jeopardize the health of my hair. At the same time I feel like it is hard to get all dressed up and feel good with my hair in a bun. Have you ever been out at the mall or something and you look around and it seems everyone else either has their hair down or styled except for you? That's how I've been feeling lately and I don't like it.

When I talked to my boyfriend he said he doesn't know what I'm talking about, my hair looks nice the way it is. Maybe I'm just overexaggerating. What do you ladies think? Have any of you ever felt this way before? Do you feel that protective styles just aren't cute or stylish enough? What do you do when you feel this way?

Have you seen the the "flapper chignon" on YouTube? I think that is one of the sexiest, jazziest buns out there! If there was any way I could do that on my 8-months post relaxer head, I would. See if you could modify any of the styles on Judy's channel to make them more protective.

It will be alright :hug2: ...everyone gets in a hair rut at some point.

If you do want to keep up with PSn try some looser sexier buns like the "southern tease" or a twistout into a bun

Strict buns can get a lil blah after a while....but at the end of the day you have to feel good about your hair....no sense in feeling like a nun just to grow a couple inches

Have you seen the the "flapper chignon" on YouTube? I think that is one of the sexiest, jazziest buns out there! If there was any way I could do that on my 8-months post relaxer head, I would. See if you could modify any of the styles on Judy's channel to make them more protective.

It will be alright :hug2: ...everyone gets in a hair rut at some point.

:Thankyou: I checked out the video and that is definitely a style I am going to try.

Try wearing a french braid if you know how to cornrow. Add a side part, bangs, or a hump in the front to make it fancier. I like to wear two french braids with the ends pinned up.

A sideswept bun, with bangs, and a flower behind the ear looks nice too.

Awww....I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you can find a style that you like and help you get out of your hair rut.

B/c I get bored with styles easily, I always always ALWAYS change up the styles of my hair. I have done wigs, pony ponies, buns, flexi-rod sets, bantu knot sets, hair braided into 2 french braids....you name it I have probably done it. Currently, my hair is in cornrows (which I'll probably wear for 3 weeks). After I take my cornrows out, I will do a flexirod set and rock that for awhile and maybe go back to braids....I dunno.

I hope this helps you!

I have the same problem. I started adding braids, side parts, clips,etc to my buns I still felt boored. Some of the cutest styles are only avilable if my hair gets longer. I actually find it harder to protective style now that my hair is pressed. My hair will not stay in a bun and the shorter layers in the front are hard to deal with. My twist outs never last longer than a few days so I can't consider them a personal protective style yet.

I would suggest that you find a cute style that can maintian for a few days with low manipualtion. Also, don't underestimate the power of adding a side part and/or clip to your bun (I feel much more chic--not trendy, better IMO). Maybe a rollerset, the curls can be worked into many low tensions tyles without too much ,manipulation.

Last edited:
Back