The Cornrows FAQs for Newbies thread

YankeeCandle

I would like to compile everything you know about cornbraids/cornrows for newbies considering getting their hair cornbraided for the first time. I would like it to include a focus on professional stylists for those who cannot braid themselves or who do not live near friends or family who can braid.

Here are some questions I think would be very helpful to me and other newbies. Please feel free to add your own questions/answers, too.

I will periodically compile the answers and edit them into the original post (unless you know of a better way to digest the info).

THANK YOU!

How is price determined--by time and labor of stylist, by length of hair, etc?

a. Price is usually pre-fixed based on style and cost of hair (if not purchased beforehand)

How much can people expect to pay for full cornrows (without extension hair and with extension hair) on Ear Length, Shoulder Length, Armpit Length, and Bra Strap Length (and any other lengths)? ** you can list prices from any country, just include the currency type.

a. Anywhere from $30-$70 depending on length.

Pros and cons of using extension hair mixed in with your own?

a. -- Pros: the tension of adding extensions stimulates growth, they last longer looking neat, and your own hair protected

- Cons: some people have allergies to synthetic or human hair pieces, costs more

Is it better for one's hair to be wet, slightly damp, or completely dry, and why?

a. completely dry hair for me ... after I part out the section to be cornrowed I add a pea sized amount of grease or WGO (which is free from lanolin, mineral oil and petroleum), and then cornrow my hair ... gives it a bit of slip and makes it easier to cornrow right to the end

b. I say, as a braider, that for natural hair, its better slightly damp because its easier to comb and the braid ends up looking sleeker. For extensions, I prefer dry hair because there is no slip.

Is it better for natural hair to be pressed straight first or left tightly coiled or curly, and why?

a. well my hair is relaxed but I think it would be better for tightly coiled hair to be blowdried or stretched

b. Leave it alone. No need for heat. It can be combed or brushed out.

Any special tips for coarse hair?

a. No but its the best hair for braiding IMO. Maybe make sure its well moisturized before braiding and combed through, and be careful removing so it doesnt break.

Any special tips for fine hair?

a. cornrowing fine hair is a task
b. Dont get anything too tight and dont use too much extra hair. Some styles will look spacey with gaps because of the fine hair unless its dense.

Any special tips for natural tightly coiled or "z-patterned"?

a. Be careful with combing and pulling and the hair can break easily.

Any special tips for natural looser or wavier curl patterns?

a. Cornrows dont always look that great on straighter hair IMO, but I'm biased lol Sometimes using a curling wax helps the braids hold tighter and stay frizz free longer.

Any special rules for relaxed hair?

a. Moisturise every morning and night. Tie hair down at night because silky relaxed hair tends to get fuzzy quickly. If you have textured relaxed hair then 'rows would be able to last longer

b. I dont think so. I braid relaxed hair all the time.

What tips or tricks do you have for getting the stylist to respect your edges and to NOT BRAID TOO TIGHT? (e.g. putting one finger on the edge/start of braid while the stylist braids).

a. Other people don't cornrow my hair because once i feel my edges being pulled I say stop and thank you for your time. However .. my sister did it once and I applied castor oil to my edges and spotted water on it for one day and it loosened up

b. Whenever you get extensions, I recommend doing that. Also telling your stylist you cant handle it being too tight and STOP her if she isnt listening to you. You are paying her, so you are in control. Sometimes stylists dont know whats too tight

Is it okay for hair health to leave hair out in the front or is it better to braid it all?

a. I think you should do what you want based on style. I'm sure leaving the front out helps the edges, but IMO, the side edges get jacked up the worse and not sure if that would look all that great.

Are there specific names for any type of braiding patterns--e.g. swirling long hair around the head so that it all fits under a wig? –

a.

If the braids are uncomfortable just after the braider finishes, what can you do to relieve the pressure (short of taking them all out??)

a. See above
b. Oh I recommend getting some steam like in a hot shower or steamer or sauna. Sometimes that loosens it up a bit. Even a warm cloth might help.

If at all, how to moisturize hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

a. I use my glycerin spray and spray all over ... scalp /roots , cornrows and ends
b. Oils directly on the scalp or something like lite sulfur 8 if u have dandruff issues

If at all, how to wash hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

a. I apply the shampoo directly on the dry scalp and sprinkle some water on it for lather ... then i use my nails and scrub my scalp and squeeze the rows. Then after rinsing, I apply conditioner all over and put on a shower cap. Rinse .. and tie down right after the last rinse

b. I dont recommend it because I dont recommend leaving cornrows in for more than two weeks. But if you do, wear a stocking cap and wash through that. Some people use the water-less shampoos but those have too many chemicals. If your scalp is dirty, take a warm rag and gently wash off your scalp with your hands. You can also use astringent like Sea Breeze to remove dirt and cleanse daily or every other day.

Tips for minimizing fuzz and frizz?

a. spray with a liquid moisturiser and tie down immediately
b. tie your hair up at night and wear a bonnet under hats or lined hats only

Tips on taking out one's braids. ...

a. i just take them out ... nothing special there
b. Gently and with care, use a rattail to pick out the ends and then your fingers to unravel. Dont snag or jerk.Sometimes wetting them or using oils creates more slip.

Last edited:

plastic

1. How is price determined--by time and labor of stylist, by length of hair, etc? i do them myself

2. How much can people expect to pay for full cornrows (without extension hair and with extension hair) on Ear Length, Shoulder Length, Armpit Length, and Bra Strap Length (and any other lengths)? ** you can list prices from any country, just include the currency type.see above

3. Pros and cons of using extension hair mixed in with your own? never wore extensions with my cornrows... fake hair is fine .. just not on my head

4. Is it better for one's hair to be wet, slightly damp, or completely dry, and why? completely dry hair for me ... after I part out the section to be cornrowed I add a pea sized amount of grease or WGO (which is free from lanolin, mineral oil and petroleum), and then cornrow my hair ... gives it a bit of slip and makes it easier to cornrow right to the end

5. Is it better for natural hair to be pressed straight first or left tightly coiled or curly, and why? well my hair is relaxed but I think it would be better for tightly coiled hair to be blowdried or stretched

6. Any special tips for coarse hair? treat it right ?

7. Any special tips for fine hair? cornrowing fine hair is a task

8. Any special tips for natural tightly coiled or "z-patterned"? BLUP BLUP big up the 4bs ... but no comment

9. Any special tips for natural looser or wavier curl patterns? -

10. Any special rules for relaxed hair? Moisturise every morning and night. Tie hair down at night because silky relaxed hair tends to get fuzzy quickly. If you have textured relaxed hair then 'rows would be able to last longer

11. What tips or tricks do you have for getting the stylist to respect your edges and to NOT BRAID TOO TIGHT? (e.g. putting one finger on the edge/start of braid while the stylist braids). Other people don't cornrow my hair because once i feel my edges being pulled I say stop and thank you for your time. However .. my sister did it once and I applied castor oil to my edges and spotted water on it for one day and it loosened up

12. Is it okay for hair health to leave hair out in the front or is it better to braid it all? ...what do you mean ?

13. Are there specific names for any type of braiding patterns--e.g. swirling long hair around the head so that it all fits under a wig? -

14 . If the braids are uncomfortable just after the braider finishes, what can you do to relieve the pressure (short of taking them all out??) see above

15. If at all, how to moisturize hair and scalp while in cornbraids? I use my glycerin spray and spray all over ... scalp /roots , cornrows and ends

16. If at all, how to wash hair and scalp while in cornbraids? I apply the shampoo directly on the dry scalp and sprinkle some water on it for lather ... then i use my nails and scrub my scalp and squeeze the rows. Then after rinsing, I apply conditioner all over and put on a shower cap. Rinse .. and tie down right after the last rinse

14. Tips for minimizing fuzz and frizz? Im guessing this should be number 17 ... spray with a liquid moisturiser and tie down immediately

15. Tips on taking out one's braids. ... i just take them out ... nothing special there

purplepeace79

1. How is price determined--by time and labor of stylist, by length of hair, etc?

Price is usually pre-fixed based on style and cost of hair (if not purchased beforehand)

2. How much can people expect to pay for full cornrows (without extension hair and with extension hair) on Ear Length, Shoulder Length, Armpit Length, and Bra Strap Length (and any other lengths)? ** you can list prices from any country, just include the currency type.

Anywhere from $30-$70 depending on length.

3. Pros and cons of using extension hair mixed in with your own?

Pros: the tension of adding extensions stimulates growth, they last longer looking neat, and your own hair protected

Cons: some people have allergies to synthetic or human hair pieces, costs more

4. Is it better for one's hair to be wet, slightly damp, or completely dry, and why?

I say, as a braider, that for natural hair, its better slightly damp because its easier to comb and the braid ends up looking sleeker. For extensions, I prefer dry hair because there is no slip.

5. Is it better for natural hair to be pressed straight first or left tightly coiled or curly, and why?

Leave it alone. No need for heat. It can be combed or brushed out.

6. Any special tips for coarse hair?

No but its the best hair for braiding IMO. Maybe make sure its well moisturized before braiding and combed through, and be careful removing so it doesnt break.

7. Any special tips for fine hair?

Dont get anything too tight and dont use too much extra hair. Some styles will look spacey with gaps because of the fine hair unless its dense.

8. Any special tips for natural tightly coiled or "z-patterned"?

Be careful with combing and pulling and the hair can break easily.

9. Any special tips for natural looser or wavier curl patterns?

Cornrows dont always look that great on straighter hair IMO, but I'm biased lol Sometimes using a curling wax helps the braids hold tighter and stay frizz free longer.

10. Any special rules for relaxed hair?

I dont think so. I braid relaxed hair all the time.

11. What tips or tricks do you have for getting the stylist to respect your edges and to NOT BRAID TOO TIGHT? (e.g. putting one finger on the edge/start of braid while the stylist braids).

Whenever you get extensions, I recommend doing that. Also telling your stylist you cant handle it being too tight and STOP her if she isnt listening to you. You are paying her, so you are in control. Sometimes stylists dont know whats too tight

12. Is it okay for hair health to leave hair out in the front or is it better to braid it all?

I think you should do what you want based on style. I'm sure leaving the front out helps the edges, but IMO, the side edges get jacked up the worse and not sure if that would look all that great.

13. Are there specific names for any type of braiding patterns--e.g. swirling long hair around the head so that it all fits under a wig?

Not sure

14 . If the braids are uncomfortable just after the braider finishes, what can you do to relieve the pressure (short of taking them all out??)

Oh I recommend getting some steam like in a hot shower or steamer or sauna. Sometimes that loosens it up a bit. Even a warm cloth might help.

15. If at all, how to moisturize hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

Oils directly on the scalp or something like lite sulfur 8 if u have dandruff issues.

16. If at all, how to wash hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

I dont recommend it because I dont recommend leaving cornrows in for more than two weeks. But if you do, wear a stocking cap and wash through that. Some people use the water-less shampoos but those have too many chemicals. If your scalp is dirty, take a warm rag and gently wash off your scalp with your hands. You can also use astringent like Sea Breeze to remove dirt and cleanse daily or every other day.

14. Tips for minimizing fuzz and frizz?

tie your hair up at night and wear a bonnet under hats or lined hats only

15. Tips on taking out one's braids.

Gently and with care, use a rattail to pick out the ends and then your fingers to unravel. Dont snag or jerk.Sometimes wetting them or using oils creates more slip.

YankeeCandle

^^^^^ Your detailed responses and expert advice were a HUGE help, ladies...Thank You! :clap:

I've digested what you wrote by editing the first post. the different people's answers are indicated by "a" "b" etc.

Please, others weigh in too! It might seem elementary, but those of us who've never had our hair cornrowed could really use your wisdom. :)

ajoke

I am thinking of getting my hair braided as a PS since starting my HHJ. I can cornrow, but not sleekly on my own head, so I have to get someone to braid it for me. The tips on the post so far are very helpful.

BTW I'm 4a natural, but I think I'd like to add extensions because I want to bun.

Vintageglam

How is price determined--by time and labor of stylist, by length of hair, etc?

By style i.e. length, number of cornrows etc.

How much can people expect to pay for full cornrows (without extension hair and with extension hair) on Ear Length, Shoulder Length, Armpit Length, and Bra Strap Length (and any other lengths)? ** you can list prices from any country, just include the currency type.

I am uk based so about 20 - 60 GBP ($30 - 90)

Pros and cons of using extension hair mixed in with your own?

Pros: protects your hair.

Cons: additional hair for fine hair can also mean additional tension which can be a no no for weak hairlines.

Is it better for one's hair to be wet, slightly damp, or completely dry, and why?

80% dry (I blow dry on cool)

And then some non greasy leave ins to get that smooth finish when corn rowing.

Is it better for natural hair to be pressed straight first or left tightly coiled or curly, and why?

There is no need for heat. You can blow dry on the cool settings for a straighter finish.

Any special tips for coarse hair?

DC like a beast before starting the cornrows.

Any special tips for fine hair?

Ask the braider to use less tension and ask the braider to start the extension hair 1/5 of the way down into the cornrows other wise your hairline will suffer.

Any special tips for natural tightly coiled or "z-patterned"?
Said if before so I'll say it again blow dry on cool to use a bit of tension to get a straighter finish.

Any special tips for natural looser or wavier curl patterns?

Use some sort of holding leave in/wax to help hold the style together and avoid slippage. Do not wash as much as with tighter textures.

Any special rules for relaxed hair?

Relaxed hair is already in a weaker state so use less tension and lighter extensions if any.

What tips or tricks do you have for getting the stylist to respect your edges and to NOT BRAID TOO TIGHT? (e.g. putting one finger on the edge/start of braid while the stylist braids).

I just ask them not to do it full stop. I show them my edges and where I am comfortable braiding to and then ask them to start adding hair about 2 inches back from that so that the cornrows begin with my hair only.

Is it okay for hair health to leave hair out in the front or is it better to braid it all?

Leave out baby hairs for sure unless you want no edges.

Are there specific names for any type of braiding patterns--e.g. swirling long hair around the head so that it all fits under a wig? –

No - I just choose from pics.

If the braids are uncomfortable just after the braider finishes, what can you do to relieve the pressure (short of taking them all out??)

i start by saying I do not want my braids tight and assure them that there is no need for them to last 6 months (I am convinced that this is why they are over zealous bc they think they last longer when extra tight)

I then get them to try one braid as a litmus test. If its too tight we start again. Its your head and you are paying. Stay in control but be polite.

If at all, how to moisturize hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

Simple spray which you can make yourself. Rose water, glycerine, aloe vera, witchhazel, essential oils, favourite carrier oils.

If at all, how to wash hair and scalp while in cornbraids?

Wash with shampoo maybe once every two weeks and rinse/co-wash 1x week. Less manipulation is definitely the keep to maintaining the style.
Also wash with a stocking on your head and DO NOT SCRUB. SMOOTH instead.

Tips for minimizing fuzz and frizz?

Gently oiling scalp. Misting with spray from a distance. The point is not to saturate but rather to infuse.

Use some alcohol free gel/ eco styler/ aloe vera to control your edges.

A trick I have is to get a small amount of my favourite moisturiser and then add some ecostyler or aloe vera gel and mix the two together and use that to slick down edges and stray hairs.

Tips on taking out one's braids. ...

I pre-poo and heavily saturate my hair the day before takedown with an oil (i.e. olive oil). I then co-wash and then do DC overnight with a really thick and rich DC. I then rinse in the morning and sit under a hood dryer on low to medium until 80% dry and then allow to cool.

I then use a rat tail for take down and the hair just slips out bc its so moist. :cloud9:

I also find that shedding is easier to deal with this way bc its soft and pliable and easier to comb through. I then do a Intense protein DC after take down. The few occasions I didn't I learned my lesson. If your hair has been braided away for more than 4/5 weeks I strongly recommend a Hard protein like the 2 step. 2 -3 weeks then the Aphogee 2 minute or other reconstuctor like Joico will be fine. Then follow this up with a moisture DC for about 1 hour. Even though braiding is low maintenance, do not forget that its been hard to get to your hair for treatments all that time so you need to make up for that.

Dry hair does not make for a good take down :nono:.

Last edited: