The Baptism that Never Happened (a bit long)

Sweet C

I have a friend that currently lives in the DC metro area and she has recently given her life to Christ and wanted to be baptized (aint God good :) ). Well of course, I came up as well as some more of our friends from various areas (TX, ATL, TN, NC, etc.) to support her. However, she has continuously contacted the people who are suppose to be in charge of baptism, and they seemed to have a hard time keeping in contact. Well, the weekend arrives, and the church was having some sort of celebration that weekend like church anniversary, the early morning service runs longer than usual, and they decide that they aren't going to have baptism that Sunday. Well I was a bit dissapointed, but things were just really hectic that whole week, so my friend got in contact with one of the elders to make sure all of the information was together.

Ok, so fast forward to this past weekend (a month later), I come back up as well as a few others, but not as many as last time. My friend had talked to the elder all week and he ensured her that they would be having baptism, though it was Father's Day. So this past Sunday, we go to the church and once again early service ran a bit longer, though not as long as last time due to Father's Day stuff and some other special stuff. My friend gets upstairs and puts on her stuff, we are sitting in the sanctuary, she calls me on my cell, and tells me as she and others are standing in their white robes waiting, they decide once again not to have baptism. Now at this point I have to walk outside of the church, b/c I'm about to blow up. I have to regain my composure, b/c my friend comes out of the church bawling b/c one again we had all gottten together for a baptism that didn't happened. At this point, I am ready to baptize her myself in the Potomac.

I know that baptism doesn't save you, but I find it highly disappointing that my friend's baptism was cancelled w/o an earlier notice. This is a fairly large church and this is the second time I prepared for this trip and many of our friends could not even come back the second time around b/c the plane fare wasn't reasonable (and now I'm glad they didn't).

I'm debating about writing a letter to the pastor of her church about this, b/c if I do so, I don't want to do so in anger. So should I write a letter and if so, what should I say?

You should definitely CALL the church, and ask to speak to the pastor, don't stop unless you get him on the phone. And explain in detail how you and other friends came from out of town to see this 2 times, and how your friend did her part and was in contact with the elders the week prior to ensure it would take place.. Please let us know what happens.

That's wrong! I definitely think you should write a letter to directly to the pastor. Maybe the other people who traveled for the baptism can write a letter too.

Back