Terressentials Mud Wash Altering Curl Pattern

TrulyBlessed

Has anyone else had their curl pattern altered by this product? I liked this product at first because it makes my hair a lot easier to detangle but it has loosened my curl pattern drastically to the point where I'm getting loose straight/stringy twistouts with no definition whatsoever which is not normal for my hair. It also appears less voluminous. My normal curl pattern is usually a fine springy/coily 4a and before I could get defined twistouts with no product. I don't use heat at all. I don't know if I'm using it wrong or my hair just doesn't like it. I just want my normal texture back. Any advice or similar experiences? Thanks!

Update: I clarified and did a conditioner wash with V05 Kiwi.conditioner then used Ultra Sheen Duo Tex protein treatment for 10 minutes with no moisturizing conditioner afterwards. My hair immediately snapped back to its original state!!!!! So it looks like the mud wash is a no for me. I loved its detangling benefits but what fun is having stretched moisturized limp hair. Maybe my hair naturally craves more protein than moisture. Thanks again for the help ladies!

Last edited:

faithVA

Perhaps you are just using it too often. How often are you using it?

There really isn't much in the mudwash to cause your curl pattern to change. It pretty much just strips the toxins from the surface of your hair and allow your hair to absorb more moisture. This could be what's going on in your case.

I'm not a big fan of protein but are you balancing out your protein?

I would try cutting the usage back to once a month and/or just using it on your scalp and not on your hair.

hair4romheaven

I'd say stop using it. I notice a difference as well. It seems like my curls are tighter from using this product and my hair doesn't feel as heavy. When I finish this bottle I am going to take a break from it. I think I have like one use left.

ETA: I use it once a month

Ann0804

It seems to make my curls pop and they are more elongated. I use it twice a month. You could try a protein treatment that should get your hair back to being curly.

TrulyBlessed

Thank you much ladies and faithVA the strange thing is I've only used it once a month so far. The first time last month I used the lavender and left it on for 1 hour instead of doing the daily detox. This month I used the lemon and left it on for 10 minutes. I also henna'd last week prior to using the lemon wash. I agree that perhaps the mud wash may have messed up my moisture/protein balance. I think I'll stop using it for now and try a more hardcore protein to bring my coils back. I'll keep you all posted.

SimJam

My hair is definitely more defined / sections of curls clumped straight out the shower without product.... which I like.

I havnt seen a change in curl pattern though, more change in manageability (someone mentioned their hair feeling lighter) thats a good description of the effect it has on my hair.

I use 2 times per month and leave it in over night or for at least 3 hours.

if you dont like what its doing to your hair, then stop using it and see if your hair comes back to normal.

faithVA

Thank you much ladies and @faithVA the strange thing is I've only used it once a month so far. The first time last month I used the lavender and left it on for 1 hour instead of doing the daily detox. This month I used the lemon and left it on for 10 minutes. I also henna'd last week prior to using the lemon wash. I agree that perhaps the mud wash may have messed up my moisture/protein balance. I think I'll stop using it for now and try a more hardcore protein to bring my coils back. I'll keep you all posted.

Yeah go ahead and put it aside especially if you are doing the henna. Not sure how doing a henna before the mudwash works. I've always washed first and then did the henna.

SimJam

Oh and I wouldn't do henna and mud wash back to back (I know my hair couldnt manage that)

@fathVA do you mud wash then henna on the same day ?

hair4romheaven

I Henna(Cassia) last weekend and mud washed first. I didn't notice anything different. The cassia made my hair feel stronger & heavier but that's it.

faithVA

Oh and I wouldn't do henna and mud wash back to back (I know my hair couldnt manage that)

When I was doing henna yes. I'm low porosity so I needed to get my cuticles to open so I would mudwash first. Then I would apply henna.

If I didn't mudwash first, the henna would just slide off my hair when I rinsed it later :ohwell:

I don't use shampoo so the mudwash is the only cleanser I have. I have stopped using henna though.

faithVA

[USER=244830 said:
SimJam[/USER];16284133]Oh and I wouldn't do henna and mud wash back to back (I know my hair couldnt manage that)

What do you think would happen if you did them on the same day?

SimJam

faithVA I consider both applications pretty intensive (at least for my hair, mud wash, deep cleanse and henna medium to deep strengthening treatment)

additionally I don't mess around with henna. When Im hennaing that's the only treatment I do to my hair (apart from a deep moisture after)

my hair is a simpleton, too much excitement and she loses it :lachen:

faithVA

@faithVA why did you stop henna. not trying to hijack thread OP. Sorry.

I switched from color to henna because I thought the color was killing my hair. 2 years later my hair is still a wreck so I was like if my hair is going to be a wreck anyway I can at least not walk around with 50 colors in my head. With henna, my hair was gray, dark brown, red, copper and some other color :nono: The edges of my hair lost color within 3 days. Within a week it was just like :ohwell:

It was a lot of work and I really didn't like the results. It always looked rusty and dry. I know people do indigo but I can't see me pulling off a dark color like that. My hair is naturally a medium/sandy brown.

I switched back to regular color at the beginning of June. I figured if I was going to be bald anyway I should at least enjoy the color of my hair. :yep: It's about 7 weeks now and my hair is just getting to the point where I may have to color.

yeah, that was long :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
It might not be the mud wash. How long you been doing henna? I don't use terressentials. However many ladies here have noted that henna loosens the curl pattern. 4 months using henna 2x a month, and I've noticed my bangs and kitchen are much looser. More like a 4a than the b/c I have. Just a thought.

reeko43

I haven't noticed a change in curl pattern but I don't leave the mudwash on for long periods. Longest I leave it on is during my shower.

TrulyBlessed

DarkJoy said:
It might not be the mud wash. How long you been doing henna? I don't use terressentials. However many ladies here have noted that henna loosens the curl pattern. 4 months using henna 2x a month, and I've noticed my bangs and kitchen are much looser. More like a 4a than the b/c I have. Just a thought.

Thanks DarkJoy, this was my first time using henna since Spring 2011 so its been a little over a year. I used Nupur henna and left it on for 1.5·hrs. It's possible that I could have stretched it even more by using henna but I definitely noticed the lack of curl pattern after the first time using mud wash last month. I'm also thinking that the mud wash clarified my fine strands so much that anything moisturizing is now weighing it down. Just a guess.

HanaKuroi

I use both. The henna is most likely the culprit. I have used the mudwash for 9 months and no loosening of my type 4 hair.
I have been using henna every week or so for under 3 months. The henna is loosening my curl pattern. Some people say henna loosens curls while others don't. If you add amla to your henna it will bring your curls back.
I have only read about the loosening of curls with henna and the temporary effects of elongating of curls with the mudwash. TrulyBlessed

springy_curly

It's good to hear that your hair is back to normal OP!

The change in your texture may have because the mud wash was leaving behind a residue in your hair, weighing it down.

Mud wash is basically just watered down clay mixed with essential oils. Clay is awesome for removing dirt, oil, and toxins, but it's not so good for removing additives in commercial hair products like silicones, proteins, and plastic polymers.This is why a lot of women go through detox period when they first make the switch. Their hair will feel stiff, sticky, oily, heavy or even dry until the mud wash effectively removes everything stuck to the hair.

This may be why clarifying fixed the problem. It removed the stuff stuck to your hair and anything left behind by the mud wash due to the detox process.