Temple Balm

tbaby_8

I just started using the Nu Gro temple balm to oil my scalp (my edges started breaking off). So I have oiled my whole scalp with it, this was this past Saturday. I oiled my scalp again on Monday. Today, my scalp is really itching and it seems like it is dry. Is this normal? Does this happen with most temple balms? I have no idea. Can someone shed some light on this for me?:ohwell:

I had a similar experience when I used ORS Temple Balm. At first I thought I didn't put enough on because my temples were dry so I added more. Still more dryness and flakes. So I just stopped using it altogether. I recently started using Mega Tek on my edges but I haven't been consistent enough to see any kind of results.

There could be an ingredient in the Product that is blocking the necessary Moisture from absorbing into Your Hair, for instance Mineral oil coats hair, Cones coat hair and a few others that could cause this type of situation. List the ingredients and We can try to figure out together, what the issue is.

I was curious so I went to the site and looked up the ingredients:

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Coconut Oil, Parsley, Garlic, Nettle, Burdock, Horsetail Coltsfoot, Rosemary Leaf, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Paba Panthenol (B-5), Vitamin E and D, Aloe Vera.

If you typically do not use petrolatum-based greases I would point my finger right at that, because that's usually what causes the kind of problem you are describing. And it's the first ingredient, so there's no telling how much of this balm is petroleum and how much is made from the other ingredients (which are actually pretty good :yep: I like them.)

If you usually put regular grease on your scalp without a problem, then I would say it could be the coconut oil. My mother's scalp behaves exactly like yours is right now when she uses it.

ITA with trevpit

By law, ingredients must be labelled in descending order of weight. If you choose to purchase products that contain petroleum/mineral oil/liquid paraffin etc, then it is best if they are listed near the end of the ingredient listing so at least you know that your product contains more of the higher quality ingredients.

Petroleum is the first ingredient..Wow!
Maybe you should use a little at a time or not at all
When you use petro or anything like it make sure its near or at the end of the ingredient LIST...
Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I never had a problem before with petroleum and this is the first time. My friend, who is a stylist, told me that you normal do not use a Temple balm all over the head. I didn't ask her why, now I think I know why. I may give it to my mom, she loved the stuff and it didn't cause her to itch at all.:grin:

People demonize petrolatum unnecessarily. It's noncomedogenic and doesn't seep down into pores. Unless you have a particular allergic reaction to any tar or petrol products, that's not what's causing it. Petrolatum is a pharmaceutical grade product used in medical care. If you have ever used any medication on your skin containing petroleum jelly without issue, then that is most likely not the problem. It could be one of the herbal extracts or the fragrance which is causing the allergic reaction. Depends upon what you mean by itch, tho. If it is a deep scalp itch that is very uncomfortable...I'd stop using it. Temple creme is meant to be used sparingly...on the temples..not the entire scalp. And it could be you used a lot of it and your scalp underneath is peeling away, loosening debris and whatnot.

People demonize petrolatum unnecessarily. It's noncomedogenic and doesn't seep down into pores. Unless you have a particular allergic reaction to any tar or petrol products, that's not what's causing it. Petrolatum is a pharmaceutical grade product used in medical care. If you have ever used any medication on your skin containing petroleum jelly without issue, then that is most likely not the problem. It could be one of the herbal extracts or the fragrance which is causing the allergic reaction. Depends upon what you mean by itch, tho. If it is a deep scalp itch that is very uncomfortable...I'd stop using it. Temple creme is meant to be used sparingly...on the temples..not the entire scalp. And it could be you used a lot of it and your scalp underneath is peeling away, loosening debris and whatnot.

Its not a matter of demonizing Petroleum or petrolatum, She stated two reactions to using a particular product, I Myself was referring to the breakage, and from what I've learned through trial and error, as well as from Hair Boards like this one and professionals, Petroleum coats the hair shaft, which does not allow the proper Moisture to absorb into the shaft, which would naturally cause Dryness and ultimately breakage, and that is a fact. As for the itching, that may be caused by another ingredient. but if someone asks for Help, because this is a Forum, People are apt to give their opinion, that is what this Hair Board thing is all about.

Back