Switching from lye back to no-lye

SweetNic_JA

I've had it with lye relaxers. I'm tired of my hair looking as if I barely applied any thing to it. I may give a lye relaxer another chance but I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of switching back to a no-lye relaxer. I want my hair staighter so that it doesn't get tangled as soon as I wash it. I want to be able to wrap it after I flat iron it. I want to be able to put my hair in a decent pony tail. HELLO! I'm a done with lye. I've tried Motions and that flunked and I would give Mizani a C+ B-.

Has anyone switched from LYE back to No-Lye. did you experience breakage or any other adverse results. I realize that this switch may be a set back but I seriously think I'm ready to take that chance.

Peace

jazzyfunknastee

Now before you go back to no-lye, what have you used other than Motions (which doesn't work well on 4a/b type hair) and Mizani? Maybe it's the wrong strength or you're not leaving it on long enough. That what happens to me. The stylist picks the wrong strength and never leaves it long enough (takes almost a half hour for my stubborn hair to get straight).

I also heard somewhere you can't go back for no-lye but hat didn't make sense because if you're only touching up, then there shouldn't be a problem with the already processed hair.

pebbles

Like jazzy said, before you switch back, try and see if any of those things she mentioned could be the problem. You can switch back to a no-lye if you like, you just will need to take extra care of your hair initially to ensure that you don't suffer any damage. If you don't like Mizani, try Affirm if you haven't already, or Elucence regular strength.

SweetNic_JA

Jazzy, I haven't tried anything other than Motions (3 x) and Mizani (1 X). I've been using regular strength. My hair is too fine to use Super (in my opinion). I don't want my hair to break off.
. I tried Mizani because it seems to do the trick for a lot of women on the board. I'm starting to be convinced that I have alien hair or something. It's so different from everyone else that i know. I must admit that I'm open to trying another solution because I do agree with the belief that switching back and forth between relaxer formulas (lye to no-lye) can be detrimental to the hair. The problem is I don't know what to try next and I don't want to have to wait another 3- 4 months only to end up with the same results. When I relax, my 4a/4b hair looks texturized like it's a 3d or something. I don't see anyone else getting these results and I'm honestly sick of it. I invest too much time and money in my hair for it to look mediocre

SweetNic_JA

Pebbles I do them myself. I don't trust salons in my hair. I used to go and they would never pre-treat my hair before or follow up with deep conditioners. Do you think a salon would make that much of a difference?

KitaWita

I would recommend going to a salon and having an Affirm regular strength relaxer applied professionally. I have THICK, COARSE 4b hair and Affirm did the trick. I've used Motions in the past and my hair reverted in about 2 weeks.

HTH

Crystal

Hey Sweet,

Sorry the Mizani didn't work for you. You're right it doesn't get your hair bone straight but Ilove the wave it gives.

I'm curious to know... why did you switch from No-lye the first time? My experience is that No-lye absolutely gets the hair straighter. I used AFrican Pride No-lye and my hair would get bone straight but it was also dry, but then again I wasn't taking care of it.

If you're looking for Bone straight hair.. I think you should probably switch back to No-lye and I highly recommend the African Pride... Or Maybe you should try a Super, or let the regular stay on longer or get a professional to do it.

Shamboosie mentioned something in his book about switching from lye/no-lye.... I can't remember what he said though but I'll look in the book tonite.

Sorry again the Mizani didn't work for you.... I love it.

pebbles

Oh boy, you got me SweetNic.
I have my issues with salons in general. I have a friend do my relaxers for me, but I will say that I do think a good hairdresser can make a difference on how your relaxers turns out, as long as she uses the right product on your hair. I can't do my own relaxers because the few times that I did, my hair was really under processed. Now the trick is finding a competent hair dresser you can trust.

Pumpkin

Sweetnic DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO BACK TO NO-LYE RELAXERS.

I am having the same exact problem and I can tell you it's the Mizani. My hair looks like I did nothing to it. We have the same type of hair and I can tell you Affirm would be perfect. That is what I used to get before I saw Marvin and then I used Mizani which did nothing. When I saw Marcia for a consult, she told me she HATES Mizani because clients always complain that their hair does not take well, especially with 4ab types. Try Affirm before you switch, and also you may want to try getting it done professionally. If you don't want to spend $$$$ I know of a Dominican woman uptown who does wonderful hair (I know you live in Conn but this is the only thing I can think of now). A girl I work with does her hair there and her bad hair days looks like my good hair days.

jazzyfunknastee

Mizani doesn't get my hair bone straight either (used both medium and super). It leaves it almost 2a like especially in the front. I like the waves but I'm starting to want my bone straight hair back. May try Affirm since I hear that's stronger than Mizani and I want my joint bone straight.

Pumpkin, did Marcia charge you for the consultation?

SweetNic_JA

Crystal & Pebbles I don't want my hair bone straight at least 90% straight. I think I'm at about 45 to 50 % straight, seriously.

I switched from no-lye to lye because I heard that no-lye make your hair dry- like you I wasn't taking care of my no-lye hair and didn't know how. Now that I know how to take care of my hair I'm wondering how different my experience would be the second time around. I admit that I'm NOT to sure about making the switch because I don't want my hair to start breaking.My hair is very sensitive (I 've been slacking on my vitamins for about 2.5 - 3 weeks now and I'm noticing a lot of shedding) so a change like that can end up being a big mistake.

pebbles

Hey SweetNic,

If you don't want to go to a salon and you're determined to switch back to a no-lye, you should be able to without experiencing major breakage by doing treatments and keeping it moisturized. I would stay with the lye because from my own personal experience, the lye is much better for my hair, but that may not be the case for you. Give the Affirm regular a try first. At least you'll know that you tried it and it didn't work for you.

Crystal

I say go back to no-lye. If it didn't cause you dryness... switch back and now that you better know how to take care of your hair you should be fine.

I'll still find what Shamboosie had to say about switching.

But if you're looking for really straight hair... I know for me no-lye worked. I think that because you know how to properly care for your hair...No-lye may not be a huge problem.

Do a strand test with the no-lye and see what happns.

SweetNic_JA

the last message I posted was written before I saw all the other posts. I'm going to hold out on the no-lye just because I don't want to make a mistake. I'll try the Affirm.
Pumpkin can u send me the information about the Dominican salon that uses the Affirm? I'll put in on my list of options. I don't mind traveling to NY but if I can find an equivalent in CT then I'd have to give it a try.

I'm going back to braids in about 2 weekss(I'm using the crown & glory technique) . I'll keep the human braids in for about 3 months so that will equal to about 4 months of new growth. I figure I have enough time to make a final decision.

Thanks again ladies

azul11

I am having the same problem as you. I switched to lye because my no lye parts were dry. when i got motions oil relaxer the first two weeks my hair looked straight and when it was wet it was shiny. after that it looked like it reverted. then i tried revlon and it looked like my hair is underprocessed. it is not straight. so i dont know what to do either. i will have to try marcia like pumpkin because she is my last resort at this moment. I wont bring a relaxer with me like the last two times but let her decide by the consultation which strength and brand i need. God bless you all.

Armyqt

SweetNic, how long are you leaving the relaxer on for.

Now I know why the Lye is better for your hair. I've been having the same underprocessed problems with Lye relaxers. However, I decided not to switch because my hair is much healthier now and not being broken down as much. When I was using no-lye, my hair would be completly relaxed by the time I was done applying and an additional five minutes.

I did my relaxer yesterday and left it on for 25 min. Now the left side of my hair (did this first) is good to go, but the right side still has some wave to it. Not enough to be noticeable or anything but it's there. The next time I relax, I plan to start on the other side and each time I relax I will rotate.

I truly believe that the fact that the the lye takes longer to break the hair down, proves that it is much gentler on the hair shaft. This is a good thing because it means less chance of overprocessing. The key for me has been adjusting the time the relaxer stays on my hair to get the results I want. While my hair is not perfect, I'm getting there

honeycomb719

I've had thoughts of switching back, but I'm 2 scared that when I rinse the relaxer out my hair will be going down the drain too
. So, I'm going try to stick w/ it. I don't think I've been leaving them on long enough.

Babychoc

I have switched back to no-lye relaxers after using lye relaxers before and have never had a problem with it

ngaa

baby choc since switchin back to no lyes do u have to moisturise yo hair more than u did wen still usin a lye??

Kitkat

SweetNic, don't go back to no lye!! Definitely try Affirm lye before giving up on lye altogether. I have 4a/4b hair and Affirm does the job. I have even had Affirm mild applied to my hair, with great results. I do my perms at home with Affirm regular (for some stupid reason I didn't ask the store whether they sold mild), and it turns out okay. I'm one of the many 4a/4b ladies who can tell you that Motions doesn't do squat for our hair. I tried it, and after 3 weeks it was like I hadn't relaxed my hair at all. Give the Affirm a shot, and I also recommend trying to find a good salon. I know there are tons of horror stories, but some ladies here posted some excellent experiences at salons. For some reason, I'm thinking that you're here in NY. If so, you'll have some pretty good options based on past raves about salon experiences. Good luck, and let us know how Afirm turns out!

Tonya

i switched back to no lye back in Febuary and my hair is just as thick as it was before it was damaged. I am having no problems whatsoever. You can see my hair at www.pituretrail.com/tonya0926
I tried about 5 different no lye relaxers, at home and at the stylist. my hair is usually not resistant to relaxers either. I just think that different peoples hair reacts differently to different cheicals. I do nto think my hair can take a lye perm...lye relaxers do absolutely nothing for me. I had not shedding I am not experienceing any dryness because I am rinsing alot and wearing protective styles. Even when i wear my hair out I use olive oil with my leave in so that my hair will be super moisturized!!!
Good luck let us know what u decide!

Babychoc

Hi ngaa. Since switching back to no-lye relaxers, I don't have to moisturize my hair anymore than before. Right now, and for the past 5-6 months, I have been rinsing my hair daily anyway, and this helps a great deal with dryness. I also do the condition only washes a lot while in the shower, and my hair ALWAYS stay VERY moist and soft

This is not my first time switiching back and fourth with no-lye and lye relaxers either. I have experimented a lot in the past with both and I DEFINATELY like the no-lye a lot better for my hair
. I know that it might not be that "safe" for some heads of hair, but I have NEVER had any problems what-so-ever
. I agree with Tonya, different hair reacts differently to chemicals
. HTH

Pumpkin

[ QUOTE ]
Pumpkin can u send me the information about the Dominican salon that uses the Affirm? I'll put in on my list of options. I don't mind traveling to NY but if I can find an equivalent in CT then I'd have to give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry it took awhile. I wanted to check this salon out before I made gave anyone the info. The name is All Season Hair Styling but the sign on the front says Rosalia's. It is on 2nd ave btwn 125 and 124 St. The number is 212-423-0831. Ask to see Minerva. She is in everyday but Tuesday. I will post the details of my visit on the Salon Discussion board just incase you need more details. If you have any questions feel free to holla.

PS. She uses Affirm and charges $20 for the relaxer.

Pumpkin

[ QUOTE ]
Pumpkin, did Marcia charge you for the consultation?

[/ QUOTE ]

The consultation was free. Check her out