Sulfate Free--I don't get it

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm transitioning, have fine to medium textured 4a hair. I'm 13 months post relaxer (I know, why am I holding on?) and primarily using wet sets and braid outs. Recently tried Mizani True Textures and Avlon Natural Textures. Both times after using the sulfate free shampoo, I was Fro-Town! Made my hair frizz and fro worse than it ever has! What gives?

Never a big fan of sulfate free due to low lather--I'm never quite sure...is my hair clean? But since I had decent results with CurlyQ's sulfate free on my curly 3C daughter, I thought now that I'm a whole lot natural sulfate free might be OK. I knew as soon as shampooing was done I was going to hate the results. The only common denominator--sulfate free shampoo. Made my hair frizzy, tangly and just a hot mess. :nono:

Am I the only one who this "holy grail" does not work for???

Try Giovanni Smooth as Silk or L'oreal Pure Ever Moisture (the pink top) - they are both incredibly moisturizing and lather super well. Especially the L'oreal.

did you clarify your hair first?

did you use the SLS free shampoo more than twice?

both of those make a huge difference in how your hair will respond.

Interesting. Did not clarify, (I did the first time I used sulfate free and didn'thave much of an issue) and have not tried either of those brands. One thing I can say, both products had a lot of lather--and my hair was not moisturized in the least! At least Mizani detangle. Avlon was horrendous. Never seen anything like the tangles and fro-ing with that product. Thanks for the tips ladies. I won't count sulfate-free out just yet...

The sulfate-free shampoos I've tried didn't toot my horn either. The only one I will ride for is the old Creme of Nature shampoo. But, I don't agree with the blame-one-ingredient-for-bad-results thing. I believe it's the product as a whole. Your hair won't like everything, whether it's sulfate-free or not. You just have to experiment and find the right shampoo for you.

I always use sulfates when I shampoo! My hair gets coated pretty easily so I need my hair to be truly clean of product in order for it to come out soft and shiny. You have to listen to your hair and give it what it wants and needs. Another staple of many ladies here is coconut oil - my hair hates it and all other oils! Some hate Shea butter...my hair loves it. catch my drift? I say if you want to try a sulfate shampoo, go ahead :yep: What your hair really needs is nourishment from the inside in order to look it's best.

I had the same question I tried Curl's Target brand of sulfate free shampoo which has NO lather at all and I used so much of it because I couldn't hardly tell when my hair was clean and at $9.99 a pop for a little bottle I wasn't about to re-buy so I tried L'Oreal EverPure (Purple or Pink) cap and it is sulfate free but it lathers really good and is super mositurizing, to me anyways.

I looooooooooove sulfates!!! To counteract the drying affect, I pre-poo with oil. Never dries for me. I'm not willing to give up my sulfates. I love the lather and clean feeling too much. If you want to try one try Giovanni (I hear gkood things about it) but to me it's drying. I liked the peppermint one for the tingle, though lol.

I have both types of shampoos. I don't poo often anymore, but OP I will say that at different sates of my transition. Products had a different reaction to my hair. I can get away with noy poo'ing now, I could never have done that a year ago. But I say do what works for you . As some one else said, if you are afraid of your hair being dried out with sulfates, pre-poo with cocnut oil. When I use my sulfate shampoo I will water it down in a bottle then apply it. I think reguardless of what we say here, hair grows and can thrive as long as you listen to it.

i forgot to mention i use Curls poo and condish. giovanni poo, condish, and leave in work well for me too. also, i use burts bees poo for shine with grapefruit to clarify. i once tried clarifying with HE LTR and my hair was stripped and tangled even with the oils. i mix KCKT with the condish to detangle too. hhg!

Sulfate shampoos dry the heck out f my natural hair and I really haven't found a sulfate free shampoo that has floored me. Komaza Care shampoo is the best one so far for me.

Last edited:
Giovanni Smooth as Silk or Shea Moisture Moisture retention lather quite well (I forget they're sulfate free) and leave my 4a/b hair very moisturized.

Sent from my DROIDX

I freely use both sulfate -free and sulfate 'poos. I have learned tho not to try to use either product in the same manner.

Sulfate-free 'poos will lather but require a little time sitting on hair (1-3 minutes) to completely work with light agitation.

Sulfate 'poos lather quickly (as designed) without having to sit on the hair. SLS are designed to lather when in contact with the oils from your scalp and hair.

Sulfate dry the heck out f my natural hair and I really haven't found a sulfate free shampoo that has floored me. Komaza Care shampoo is the best one so far for me.
My hair used to be so dry until I started using Sally's Hair One for dry hair. It get's my hair clean and keeps it moisturized.

Last week I used Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil poo and my hair didn't like it at all. It's full of sulfates. It left my hair very dry and matted. I DC'd but it just wasn't enough so I had to DC 3 nights in a row.

My hair just doesn't like the sulfates.

Well I hate sulfate free shampoos so I have no desire to try anything else. I say stick to the sulfates if they work for you you need to do what's best for your hair!

I hated all the sulfate-free shampoos I tried, too. They were more stripping than my beloved Pantene Clarifying shampoo (and that has two kinds of SLS in it LOL). I only shampoo once a month and co-wash weekly in between and I don't have a problem with dryness.

a moisturizing ph balanced sulfate shampoo can be much much better on my hair than a sulfate free, non ph balanced shampoo, no matter how mild the cleansing ingredient is. I believe shampoos are far less predictable than conditioners when it comes to formulation.

best sulfate shampoos I have tried: Kerastase Bain Satin, Garnier Fructis
best clarifying non natural shampoo I have tried: Neutrogena T GEL
Best natural, sulfate free shampoo I have tried: Giovanni 50:50

Back