Stretching for the 1ST TIME!!

ellehair

Just wondering, what are or have been most peoples goals when stretching for the 1st time? Have you met your goals, was it difficult?
Im asking just because I wonder what realistic goals are for stretching for the 1st time. I am currently at a 12 week stretch, im dying to relax but i refuse, im trying to go at leat another 12 weeks. Is this realistic for the 1st time, being that new growth becomes unmanagable and you have no other choice.. I have not gotten to that level yet, but im just inquiring..I know it varies person by person, but I thought it would be cool if some ladies shared their experiences..
What goals you set for your 1st long term stretch?
did you make the goal?
did you extend your stretch once you met your goal?
did you relax before your goal was met, and why and did you feel defeated?

My very first stretch I went 4 months. I didn't set a goal, I didn't keep track of how many weeks it had been; I just kept going and finally relaxed out of hair boredom. I knew I had to relax before mid-December (was going on vacation), but beyond that I didn't set a timetable. Here I am again, 14 weeks post and I might relax next week, or I might go until July. Once again, I know I want a fresh relaxer mid-December, so I have to relax by Labor Day to give me at least 14 weeks before the December touchup, but beyond that, I don't lock myself in; that way I don't feel defeated and I let my hair do what it wants to do.

When I think about it, my stretches aren't that long because until week 6 or 8 I'm not having to "manage" my hair - a fresh relaxer with minimal new growth isn't any trouble. I don't consider it stretching when I can get it to lay down without fighting. :lachen:

when i first started stretching i went gradually first seven weeks then eight weeks then ten and then twelve...etc that worked best for me because i could see the effects of each time period and then deceide on a stretch period that was best for me

My First Stretch in a long time was 14 weeks. And that was mainly because I had a Terrifying Exerience at a Salon which caused me to plan to become a DIY.

So part of me was scared to Relax and the other part of me knew I needed to give my hair a serious break after that experience.:sad: So, it ended up being 14 weeks before I got the "courage" to attempt Self-Relaxing.

My first attempt, I did not use enough Relaxer and I didn't leave it on long enough and ended up Severely Underprocessed.

My 2nd Attempt was 1 week ago Friday after 10 weeks and everything turned out nicely. I am very pleased.:grin:

My overall goal, is to only Relax 3 No more than 4 times a year.:yep:

Back