STRAND TESTS

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Why are so many people adverse to doing strand tests prior to relaxing? I think that this step would substantially decrease the number of people ending up with underprocessed, or even overprocessed hair. Strand tests can also be done after you've already relaxed and wish to re-relax due to underprocessing. This will give you a good idea as to what your hair will do if you want to relax over the previously relaxed hair.

The info for strand tests can be found on the instruction paper included in the kit, if you've purchased a kit.

For those who do not know what a strand tests is: You take a few strands of hair and relax it using the time you'd use to relax your entire head. You rinse, then neutralize it as well. I even condition mine, then let it air dry. You can estimate the time. If the hair is not relaxed sufficiently enough, you increase the time. This way, you will know how long to leave it on. This is not fail proof, but it certainly can't hurt to do it.

This is what I do: I take several strands from different parts of my head (top, side, back, and sometimes nape). These parts are the sections where the curl pattern is different. I then tape these strands to separate cardboard pieces and write the section of my head they were cut from. Doing this, you get a fairly accurate representation of how your hair will react. I don't do this all the time, but I've done it when I've felt it was necessary. I think that it is something that many people on here need to do, especially if you're changing relaxer types/brands/strengths. Anyway, it works for me.

Hey Curly
wave.gif
As usual, good advice.

Back