Speaking of Hi-Lites Tracy...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I would love to get some blonde hi-lites--have been admiring them for YEARS (at least 10). But, I am frightened of the potential damage.

Would it be reasonable to get hi-lites, but only ask for like 5 very small sections (less than a centimeter) to be pulled through the cap or would that end up looking idiotic? AND--what's the best way to keep it healthy after that?

That would look absolutely lovely on your hair SG. Just make sure whoever does them uses permanent color, and not bleach, to do them.
smile.gif
Make SURE it's permie color and it should be absolutely fine.

You know my preference on permie color, but any of them (except the well known baddies like Feria and Dark and Lovely) would work.
smile.gif

The best way to keep it healthy is already in your regime - LOTS of protein. Heavy duty ones (like Emergencee) a little more often than normal....

I also remember (and have seen in my experiences with friends who get highlights) that taking care to keep the highlighted portions oiled helps in staving off dryness and breakage. The highlighted hair will change texture a bit and lose some of its elasticity. If you oil them (and do your regular oil treatments you love so much) you'll be fine.
up.gif

Absolutely NOT!
laugh.gif

You should wait 4 weeks AFTER a relaxer to get highlights and then at least 4 weeks after that to retouch again. You're better off waiting 6 weeks for a total of 10.

Make sure too, that ALL of the black rinse you had trouble with is COMPLETELY out of your hair. If even a trace remains wait until it's all gone. Your hair won't lift if there's a stubborn black rinse hanging on to it.

If your hair is back to your natural color, then get the highlights.

Also, make sure they use an ASH based blonde to do the color so you don't end up wth orange streaks. Ask her to show you what color she's going to use, and make sure 'ash' or 'beige' is in the name.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Absolutely NOT!
laugh.gif

You should wait 4 weeks AFTER a relaxer to get highlights and then at least 4 weeks after that to retouch again. You're better off waiting 6 weeks for a total of 10.

Make sure too, that ALL of the black rinse you had trouble with is COMPLETELY out of your hair. If even a trace remains wait until it's all gone. Your hair won't lift if there's a stubborn black rinse hanging on to it.

If your hair is back to your natural color, then get the highlights.

Also, make sure they use an ASH based blonde to do the color so you don't end up wth orange streaks. Ask her to show you what color she's going to use, and make sure 'ash' or 'beige' is in the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second that.

definetly stay away from the warm and golden colors they only translate into orange!!

if you are bold enough to diy--i use loreal hi-color. i really really like this product b/c you don't have to bleach to use it. my hair is VERY light blonde. naturally dark brown almost black. anywho you can get it at sally's since i have a relaxer i use the 20 oreor developer.

the cap thingy is scary to me though. never used it b/c all i can envision is breakage. but your hair seems to be pretty strong so who knows it may work for you!!

good luck!! keep us posted!!
wink.gif

Caps actually don't have to be bad. If you oil the hair before you begin, the hair will slide right through. The easist way to get it through the cap is to use a crochet hook.

smile.gif

I'll have to look into the L'oreal product....I've never heard of anyone who used it. And I'm all for a new coloring product that works well on relaxed hair.

I just used the Loreal hi color last night..in light auburn also with 20 oreor developer. My hair is naturally very dark, almost black. My sister applied it. Turned out ok, I have a med. auburn tint throughout my hair. My hair definately isn't as dark as it was before though.. Now I'm working on keeping it super moisturized.

Make sure you use lots of protein, shanda. It's true that colored hair needs moisture, but it's infinitely more important to keep it strong (protein) and pliable (oil).
smile.gif

I've already started with protein.. I used the last of my Keraphix today.
smile.gif

With oil do you mean hot oil treatments or just applying oil to the hair? I usually do co. washes and I'll apply the oil throughout the length of my hair afterwards..

Applying oil to the hair.
smile.gif
Usually on dry hair is how I do it. Not a lot, just enough to make the hair a little slidey as the comb goes through...serum would work too.

Putting it on wet hair would also be fine, but you'd need to add some betwwen washes.

If you already do protein that's good. My main point is moreso just to be very careful adding too much moisture - it can make the hair too soft when it colored leading to a weak hair shaft and breakage.
smile.gif

lol!! don't be skurred!!

think of it this way...since you are going lighter if worst comes to worst you can always go over it to tone it down!!

and there's always the board!!

we gotchu gurl!!
wink.gif

Back