Sorry for asking a dumb question but...

wofford16

What is a single strand knot? :ohwell:

I hear a lot of naturals curse their existence but I have been fully natural for almost a year and I have fine hair and detangling my hair is about the only easy thing I can do, having defined curls is a totally new adventure in and of itself.

Maybe I do have them and just don't know that I do so please someone educate me... I am still a student of hair :grin:

When you have a strand of hair that ties onto itself forming a knot. You look at the strand and you're like "How the heck did you do that!!!!" Like, if you have a piece of thread and you tie a knot in it, that is what the single hair strand resembles.

There are pictures posted on the forum somewhere. I'll bump it for you if I can find it.

If you had an ssk honey you would know it...it happens more often to people who twist or braid their hair, its when your hair is in a tangle or a knot and its not clumps of hair thats knotted, its just a strand, as if another strand has wrapped around it and formed a knot. They are awful because they are usually not capable of simply being detangled are unknotted, you normally have to pull em out and they lead to split ends. I had one yesterday because I wasnt careful when I took down my braids.

I was just coming to quote Mwedzi's post. It is apparently something typical of African hair and Proctor & Gamble website used to have an image of how it looks magnified and the damage that results from it. (See attached images)

Attachments

• Knotting Hair Associated with African Hair.jpg
    Knotting Hair Associated with African Hair.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Leads to Breakdown of Hair.jpg
    Leads to Breakdown of Hair.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 2
Wow now I understand the hate behind them, I have never had one but I do believe my daughter had them once before but I just chopped it up to a bad tangle session.

Thank you for the information ladies.

Back