Smoothing down coarse edges

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

My hair texture is a 4a/4b in the front of my hair/temples. I have tried every product under the sun and technique to smooth them down but no such luck until today.

My step cousin who has a hair salon in Queens told me to use wave noveau smooth edge gel and there is another product called edge up I am not sure who makes it could be protectif (will find out). I got my hair braided for a special occasion and I did not want to braid my weak edges which are also short and have no wave pattern. I used the wave noveau smooth edge gel and it did the trick good smoothing and a slight wave.

The key is to smooth short hairs downwards and not upwards.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Dommo

I love the Eco Styler Gel (clear-10 max hold) ....First i slightly dampen my edges and then apply the gel and put on a scarf . When it dries my edges are super smooth, soft and shiny...People think i just got a touch-up and im transitioning. You MUST let it dry smooth with the scarf though or else your edges will curl up...

Dposh167

when i need quick smooth edges:
garnier fructis sleek n shine 'wet' gel (secret weapon..it's a runny light gel in a tube)
ecostyler gel (as Dommo stated)

for smooth edges for the morning:
wave noveau moisturizing lotion + castor oil + scarf
moisturizer + qhemet heavy olive/amla cream + scarf

garnie

almond eyes

I think for those women with coarse short non-wavy edges the trick is to slick the short edges downwards.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
If you don't want gel, you could use the Luster's Nutrient Stick. It's a castor oil based wax stick. You can get it from the BSS, Walgreens, etc. It really works with smoothing down edges, especially if you dampen the edges a little with water to kinda "set" it.

Also, the highest hold Eco Style like someone else mentioned.

India*32

I need something. These edges don't move and even get tangled. Urgh. I'm going to try this gel. I hope it helps this coarse section of my hair. I can't believe the top of my hair is 3c curly, but this stuff.

India

:bdance:

cookie1

My edges are a big problem for me and when my hair is freshly relaxed it's easier because I can put anything (moisturizer (thick) or holding gel) on it put a scarf on for a while and it's smooth. My favorite is thick n shine by fantasia..

Makenzie

Castor oil on damp edges and then I tie my hair down.

Also, a no-no for some of you, but Ampro gel is wonderful. I notice a lot of times I'll leave the house with my edges the way I want them, but during the day they curl up and start sticking out. I put a little, just a tiny bit, of oil on my hair and use the toothbrush to put the gel on top. I have to tie it down but it lasts for the day.

Castor oil is for when I want a more wavy wash n go look. Ampro is when I don't want nothing to budge. :lol:

LaidBak

Does anyone know what Jermaine Jackson uses? His hold head be slicked DOWN!...LOL

Ooooohhh That is tooo funny!!!! And true!!

Elasta QP mango butter is the truth for slicking down edges. I have 4 a/b edges and I try not to relax them at all. EQP MB makes my edges lay down flat, and they stay flat until I comb them up.