Silk Pillow Cases and Hair

My Friend

Do you sleep on a SPC because cotton absorbs all the moisture from your hair? If so, then if I moisturize and seal before bed, a cotton or all other fabric pillow cases are ok?

melisandre

Personally, I use a satin pillowcase. If I sleep on a cotton one, then whatever product I put in my hair will end up on the pillowcase and my hair will be dry. I think this is still the case if you moisturize and seal before bed.

sunnysmyler

I sleep on a cotton pillowcase because I use to sleep on a satin one, but I found myself sweating more during the night, but I also tie my hair down with a satin scarf (a triangle one) then put my satin bonnet over it.

I'm finding that the satin scarf protects my edges (I put it below my hair line as not to rub it) and keeps my twist smoother so do don't get as frizzy from rubbing on the satin bonnet alone. Then I put on my bonnet as a 2nd protective measure and to protect the ends of my twist that are hanging out of the scarf.

So to answer your question, I prefer to moisturize and seal before bed if i plan on wearing my hair down the next day, or I'll do it in the morning if I plan on wearing it up. I don't like a oily neck. lol.....

Hope I answered your question.

TootiePie

I need to switch to satin, I wear a bonnet every night but it lifts and moves around my edges while I sleep. I put mini twists in my hair and I have two twist on each side of my temple that are thin at the ends due to breakage. I need to quite cotton period because my hair hates it, and it hates my hair.

sunnysmyler

I need to switch to satin, I wear a bonnet every night but it lifts and moves around my edges while I sleep. I put mini twists in my hair and I have two twist on each side of my temple that are thin at the ends due to breakage. I need to quite cotton period because my hair hates it, and it hates my hair.

Yes, TootiePie I had the same problem, I always used a satin pillowcase and bonnet but still had a lot of thinning on my edges. Now that I've incorporated the satin scarf, put below my hair line, my edges are doing SO much better :grin:, I even moisturize my edges before I put on my satin scarf:lick:.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
You should just buy a satin pillowcase. I've seen them for as cheap as $5. Satin finishes reduce the friction between your hair and the material as well. It is more than just an issue with moisture...

faithVA

I wear a bonnet and sleep on a cotton pillow case. I have tried the satin pillow case but I sweat too much with it. Some can sleep on satin and some cannot.

chitowndcgal

I sleep on a 100% silk pillowcase..and love it. I also wear a 100% silk bonnet or silk scarf every night to bed. I travel with my silk pillowcase when I am gong out of town. I love them both and they have definitely helped me to retain moisture. I got them from www.prettyanntoinets.com

Ms. Tiki

I have a satin pillow case to relax on the sofa with but I sleep on a cotton pillow case. Like others, satin is too hot for me to sleep on. I do find that the satin pillowcase still absorbs some of the oil in my hair. I also have to have a scarf or bonnet on even when using the pillowcase or my ends will split like crazy. Smh

BreeNique

I tie my hair up with a silk scarf every night, and sleep on a cotton pillowcase. the case isn't touching my hair, so i think it's alright...for Christmas I plan to buy myself a silk sheet and pillowcase set!

faithVA

I tie my hair up with a silk scarf every night, and sleep on a cotton pillowcase. the case isn't touching my hair, so i think it's alright...for Christmas I plan to buy myself a silk sheet and pillowcase set!

Hijacking: I remember when my ex and I bought our first silk sheet set. It didn't work out so well :nono: EVERYTHING slipped off it, including us :lol: It was not what we were expecting. Ok - no point to that story, just reminiscing. Carry on

Raspberry

I sleep on a 100% silk pillowcase..and love it. I also wear a 100% silk bonnet or silk scarf every night to bed. I travel with my silk pillowcase when I am gong out of town. I love them both and they have definitely helped me to retain moisture. I got them from www.prettyanntoinets.com

Yea I'm getting on the 100% silk bandwagon too, at least for scarves. From what I've read silk is superior to satin and that satin made nowadays is usually made of polyester and loses its softness over time. I have a few satin scarves and I can tell the blend and softness vary by manufacturer. I'm still fine with my satin pillowcases though..

I just got a beautiful 100% silk 36x36 scarf on Ebay for $7.

chitowndcgal I'm feelin this hair wrap for bed: http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_2/Hair-Wraps-.htm

Last edited:

abcd09

Hijacking: I remember when my ex and I bought our first silk sheet set. It didn't work out so well :nono: EVERYTHING slipped off it, including us :lol: It was not what we were expecting. Ok - no point to that story, just reminiscing. Carry on
I had a patient tell me once that the best way to get your SO to divorce you is to buy silk sheets and insist that you use them :lol: She said her husband became so angry with rolling off the bed and they fought over it all the time

kupenda

I have satin. Us college folks can't always get the good stuff. I use it because I don't like tying my hair up all the time. But because of my allergies and asthma I have to use a special pillowcase so sometimes I switch it up between the satin or the allergy case. Also, satin still absorbs whatever is in your hair. And if you moisturize and seal before bed, it could soak up your oil or whatever you used to seal.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)