shedding

pink_flower

Re: shredding

I think you mean shedding, no? Well shedding is pretty normal, and by shedding I mean long hairs with a white bulb on the end. If you have short broken hairs that is breakage and I would recommend that you use a protein conditioner.

If you want to try to reduce the amount of shedding, some ladies here have had success with Nutrine Garlic shampoo, or you can try to not manipulate your hair that much.

But its pretty normal to shed about 50-100 hairs a day, I think thats the average.

Dubois007

I wanted to write a post about the same thing. My hair is always shedding. It's hard for me to differenciate between breakage and normal shedding.
Hopefully, someone will be able to help us.

Karonica

I'm going through the same thing myself, except it didn't happen until after my last relaxer 2 weeks ago. My hair was recently bleached in March and my first relaxer since then was 2 weeks ago, and I was thinking that the bleach was the cause. But, my hair is shedding from the root, not at the point the bleached part begins since I have black roots already. I normally shed in the summer anyway, but geesh.

Nay

Click on the "Search" function, type in the word "shedding" and then check off that you want to look for that word in "subject." And then specify the date range of 1 year(s), and you will find a lot of different replies to questions about shedding.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I had an excessive amount of shedding before I started using Aubrey Organics GPB once a week or every other week. This stuff really works!

I agree with pinkflower. Less manipulation is also the key. When I laid off of brushing...combing...and playing in my hair so much...it helped a great deal.

Karonica

I agree about less manipulation. Whenever I'm dealing with a lot of shedding, I put it away in some sort of protective 'do.

*patting my instant weave*

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
sarina0000 said:
Everytime I comb my hair it sheds. What can I do to stop my hair from shedding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think more info is needed on your routine as well heat use and styles before advice can be given. Shedding could be normal or caused by something you are doing. Also how much are you shedding?

zealot

Whenever I notice shredding I will give my hair a protein treatment. Then I deep condition my hair at least once a week. Then my shredding usually stops after a few days.

debyjay

Nutrine Garlic Shampoo! I can't say enough good things about this product. Now, it does make my hair dry so I follow with a moisturizing conditioner. For those of you/us that shed constantly, I suggest using the Nutrine Garlic Conditioner at every wash, it has aloe and castor oil as an added bonus.

sarina0000

well maybe i'm not shedding because I don't see a white bulb at the end of my hairs that come out. I lose about 50-100 hairs a day but I don't see a white bulb at the ends. I see maybe about 3 hairs with white bulbs come out though.

Nay

Sarina, that sounds like a lot of hair coming out (especially if it's not seasonal shedding and you don't see the white bulb).

What kind of comb are you using? If you don't already have one, make sure you use a good wide-toothed comb to help minimize breakage.

Also, are you relaxed or natural, and how do you wear your hair? Do you lose that much hair from daily styling, or is it when you wash your hair? And, lastly, when you wash your hair, do you detangle it while it's wet or dry?

I greatly reduced the amount of hair I'd lose while combing by (1) ALWAYS using a good comb. The wider spaced/longer the teeth, the better. (2) ALWAYS detangling my hair while using LOTS of conditioner in the shower while my hair is still wet. (3) Washing/conditioning/combing out my hair in sections.

Sarina, what is your hair regime?

sarina0000

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Sarina, that sounds like a lot of hair coming out (especially if it's not seasonal shedding and you don't see the white bulb).

What kind of comb are you using? If you don't already have one, make sure you use a good wide-toothed comb to help minimize breakage.
---<font color="red"> I use an afro comb, not the pick though </font>
Also, are you relaxed or natural, and how do you wear your hair? Do you lose that much hair from daily styling, or is it when you wash your hair? And, lastly, when you wash your hair, do you detangle it while it's wet or dry?

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> My hair is relaxed. I use to wear my hair out everyday ,but now I wear it in a bun. I lose that much hair with daily styling and when I wash my hair. I do detangle my hair while its wet </font>

Do you think my hair coming out like this because I need a trim?

Nay

Hmmm, from what you've said, I'm not sure what might be going on. Hopefully, the other ladies will have some more input for you.

As far as possibly needing a trim, that would help if your ends are split and also to make your hair look neater. But it might not solve the hair coming out issue.

simone103

It could be a dietary reason for why you might be shedding. Are you anemic? It might be as simple as adding a little extra iron to your diet.

aikaa71

[ QUOTE ]
sarina0000 said:

Do you think my hair coming out like this because I need a trim?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you may need a trim. I had a shedding problem for a long time, over 8 months and I recently had my hair cut (approx 4.5 inches off).I went from past shoulder length to neck length. I did not realize that my ends were so eaten up. I previously used no lye relaxers that made my ends really dry and damaged. I was holding on to those damaged ends, just concentrating on getting more length whereas I needed my hair to be healthy in order for it grow. I no longer have a problem with shedding now, maybe 2-4 hairs come out when I comb to style daily. When I comb my hair wet , after washing, I loose the same. Make sure you have some kind of product to give moisture before you comb, whether your hair is dry or wet. This is my experience on shedding. Hope this helps.

kitten73

I am surging right now, have major shedding issues. Do you think it's okay for me to use this Nutrine while surging without side effects?

debyjay

Hey evanne, if you're worried about a Surge/garlic reaction just shampoo first with your regular poo then use the garlic poo, I also suggest you follow with a moisturizing conditioner or at least with the Nutrine Garlic Conditioner which is has aloe and castor oil. You could also refrain from Surging till the next day.

xandra

Sarinna-
My "vulnerable shedding spot" is in the back middle of my head (like where a man tends to go bald). My old hairdresser said it was a "stress spot" on my head. And at times it itches like crazy! So, I have found that deep conditioning with a hot oil treatment calms the itching down. However, the main thing that stops my shedding is an aphogee treatment (which I know is drying-but it works) followed up by a conditioner in which one of the first ingredients listed is panthenol. Do an aphogee treatment and follow with a good moisturizing conditioner containing panthenol. Then, a week later, do another wash and condition with the panthenol. That has been the only thing that has stopped/drastically reduced all that shedding. I was using a wide toothed comb, combing gently and even refraining from combing. Yet, when I would comb it was very disheartening to find all those strands coming out.

In the kitchen sink, wash and follow the instructions for the aphogee. Towel dry (gently)and then when you apply the moisturizing conditioner it won't be dripping. At that point, go ahead and take a nice hot long shower (with the door closed and fan OFF) and let that steam penetrate the hair shaft. Toward the end of your shower go ahead and rinse out while gently detangling under the shower head. Then proceed with whatever else your regimen is. This has worked for me.

Edited to add: I agree that you may need a good trim too, if you are finding "pieces" popping off in the comb. Also, scratching an itchy scalp in a rough or vigorous manner (both in or out of the shower) will also contribute in a big way to shedding.