Sealing Your Cuticles

preciouslove0x

Ive been on this HHJ since July and I STILL havent found a technique/product that seals the cuticle. Its SOOO frustrating! :wallbash: Ive been able to successfully do it once after a wash but of course it was on "accident" and I dont remember how I did it.

What product do you use after you wash to help seal the cuticle??

Ive used ACV, porosity control and even not messing with my hair as it dries after I wash... nothing seems to work... but then again I dont know how to apply my moisturizers/leave-ins without touching my hair too much... I don't know.. I'm lost, confused and getting really annoyed with my hair :rolleyes:

What has helped you repeatedly when washing or after washing to seal the cuticle and allow your hair to dry smooth??

TIA ladies

*Muffin*

Hello :hiya:. When my hair cuticles start feeling rough it usually means it's time for me to clarify. I usually clarify/chelate using conditioner mixed with the juice of one lemon and I allow that to sit on my hair, and then rinsing it off. If I have really heavy build-up I'll use shampoo before hand (to clear -cone build up). After that I'll rinse with luke warm water, then deep condition. After deep conditioning I make sure to rinse my hair with cool water to seal my cuticles, and then I'll do a final ACV rinse (about a teaspoon of ACV to 1 or 2 cups of water). Then I'll gently blot my hair dry and moisturize it, then I'll seal with about a dime-sized amount of coconut oil, concentrating mostly at the ends. It's important that during the drying process you don't touch your hair. Touching your hair while it's damp rustles the cuticle. You want to let it dry as much as possible without touching it, if you're air-drying.

Products also matter a lot, at least with my hair. If clarifying your hair doesn't help it could be a signifier that your hair doesn't like a product you are using. My hair feels rough when I use too much protein, oil, or something my hair doesn't like in general. How do you apply your leave-in conditioner, and what kind of leave do you use?

preciouslove0x

I airdry my hair so its really hard to not touch it until its dry... I mean I just dont understand the concept of putting product in your hair (like leave in, moisturizer or what-have-you) without actually touching your hair..... :perplexed

i just started using rusk leave-in conditioner but every leave-in but i get the same results with every leave-in ive used in the past :hair:

ive tried chelating and clarifying... im thinking its just the "touching my hair while wet" thing being the problem but i dont know how NOT to if i want to apply product before it dries :nono:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I get better results rinsing out con and detangling under the shower. If I'm PSing I use the running water to pull my hair back in a ponytail. Sometime during the process I smooth everything out with castor oil, root to tip.
Hth.

aluv

Hi, Sorry to hear about your troubles. I close my cuticles by using the coldest water I can stand as a final rinse. I also try to leave some conditioner in my hair as well as use a watery spray leave-in until 80% dry. Then I use a creamy water based leave-in and seal with oil. If you have to put your hands in the hair, always smooth down from root to tip, try to limit the number of times you smooth the hair.
HTH

LaidBak

Wow...PC didn't work? You did it as a last step? And for only 1 minute? That helped end my porosity/cuticle issues. Maybe you can try starting with a shampoo that has the proper pH. Aphogee Deep Moisture is a good one.

*Muffin*

I airdry my hair so its really hard to not touch it until its dry... I mean I just dont understand the concept of putting product in your hair (like leave in, moisturizer or what-have-you) without actually touching your hair..... :perplexed

i just started using rusk leave-in conditioner but every leave-in but i get the same results with every leave-in ive used in the past :hair:

ive tried chelating and clarifying... im thinking its just the "touching my hair while wet" thing being the problem but i dont know how NOT to if i want to apply product before it dries :nono:

Lol, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. It's okay to touch your hair when applying leave-in conditioners and putting it into a style (like wet-bunning, loose braids, twists, etc...). But after doing all of those things you shouldn't touch your hair a lot because it ruffles the cuticles and promotes frizz. Some people can get away with touching their hair during the air-drying process and they get little to no frizz, whereas others frizz more easily.

As for products, I read that there are three critical steps in helping your hair retain moisture, and that's water, cream-based moisturizers, and oil. Water serves to hydrate your hair, and there a various natural things (like aloe vera, honey, etc...) that act as humectants to draw water into your hair, thus giving it moisture. The next step is cream-based moisturizers. Creams serve to moisturize and soften the hair and the cuticle. The water helps it to absorb. A natural cream base a lot of naturals use and is also contained in some creamy leave-ins is shea butter. The last step is oils/oil-moisturizers. Although it is debatable as to whether oils moisturize are not, they are critical to the moisturization process. Oils serve to lock in moisture, smooth the hair, and leave the hair pliable and easy to comb. Oils are also important because they contain a naturally low pH, which is similar to the acidity of our hair. Some typical oils that people like to use are coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil.

It's also very important that you learn which type of moisturizers your likes most. For some whose hair mainly likes water-based moisturizers, spraying their hair with water/glycerine/honey mixes may be sufficient. For others who like heavier, creamier moisturizers may opt for shea butter mixed with oils. It's all about discovering what your hair agrees with :yep:. I'm no expert about any of this, but I hope it helps :).

P.S. Here's a link to a video that explains it a little bit.

Last edited:

Esq.2B

Following up with a cold water rinse, after I rinse the DC out in the shower, has helped me tremendously.