Salon Perms vs. Store Perms

HippyChick

Hi everyone. I have a question. When my beautician did my perm, I used a mild. I tried to do my own perm at home, so, I bought a mild perm ( like I used at the salon, Revlon). The problem is that I did not get the same results: bone straight, bouncy hair. I was wondering if salon perms were stronger than the ones purchased in the stores? Also, do I need to go to a regular ( the next step up) to get the same results I would get if I went back to my beautician? Thanks!

Karonica

I went to answer your question, and I read it over again to discover I was answering a different question. I have no idea about the strength. That does sound interesting though. Maybe the difference is application techniques, and how they follow up after the perm has been applied. Sorry, I dunno. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

nomadpixi

I actually did a retouch of my perm on Tuesday and it came out just like the salon (finally!). It's all in the application. This site http://www.manican.com/ has a techniques section for working on hair with textures (Milady Instructions) and they say:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Combing and smoothing the hair with your hands or a comb helps to relax it. You can use a tail comb to section the hair. Essentially, the amount and type of manipulation determines speed and amount of relaxation achieved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a comb and I finally managed to get the results I was looking for, including the underprocessed parts! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

So the mild formula was probably the right one for you, but try combing through more. Which of course means basing your scalp REALLY well.

Pixi

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Karonica said:
I went to answer your question, and I read it over again to discover I was answering a different question. I have no idea about the strength. That does sound interesting though. Maybe the difference is application techniques, and how they follow up after the perm has been applied. Sorry, I dunno. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you are exactly right. I really believe that it is the application techniques that stylists (or people who do hair often and are good at it)are more aware of than we are.

I've seen this happen with just plain old heating appliances to. My hairdresser when she blow dries my hair (well before she switched products) it comes out looking like a press, my "press" or flat iron looks like a perm.

I can NOT duplicate that at home even with the SAME tools....

On the other hand, I do know that "professional" products are usually more concentrated than the ones sold to the consumer, in addition to that they (stylists)) usually have a product rep that will demonstrate all the diffrent application techniques for one particular product that are usually more involved than what the instructions say on the bottle (not talking about relaxers here though).

If the relaxer is the EXACT same as the one you are using I'd say it's her technique. If somehow it's different (even slightly) then it's the product.

Just my guesses, hth

skegeesmb

I also believe it's in the application. The combthru with a rat tail comb definately pulls the curls straight.