Rollersetters...Is there a way to...

LivingDoll

straighten roots without direct heat?

I was a bunner for the majority of 2008 and towards the end I started blow drying/flat ironing more than I should have. I've joined two challenges for 2009 (Bootcamp & Rollersetting for Length & Health)...

Here is my dilemma. I texlax so my hair is extremely wavy/curly. On top of that I've been trying to stretch longer than I used to. I rollerset a few days ago and my roots were so wavy and unruly my hair looked like a helmet. Even a saran wrap treatment didn't help.

Any suggestions for straightening without direct heat? I have Caruso rollers but I've never used them...can they make my roots straight?

TIA!

KAT25

What about rolling your hair upwards in stead of downwards? that might help the roots to lay flat in the roller then do the saran wrap treatment?

LivingDoll

What about rolling your hair upwards in stead of downwards? that might help the roots to lay flat in the roller then do the saran wrap treatment?

I can barely do it the right way but I'll try it. :yep:

Mesh Rollers get the roots very straight. I use clips to secure.

In this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=323285&highlight= you can see how straight my NG got.

I did use mesh rollers with clips! :lachen: See, if my hair was longer I think it would be much easier to get my roots straight. It's just too short right now.

Ponytail sets make my roots very straight, I don't have to flat iron.

Don't think my hair is long enough for that yet (it's SL in back) and I have layers.

*Frisky*

I thought the continuous pulling the hair taught as you rolled it along with the metal clips helped with the straightness of the roots. I think Dlewis told me that. I use snap on rollers and so I have no personal experience with it.

LivingDoll

I thought the continuous pulling the hair taught as you rolled it along with the metal clips helped with the straightness of the roots. I think Dlewis told me that. I use snap on rollers and so I have no personal experience with it.

I tried to do that...maybe it will get better the more I do it.

KLomax

:imsorry: I dont have any useful tips ...I just wanted to tell you your hair looks
FABULOUS

FindingMe

:imsorry: I dont have any useful tips ...I just wanted to tell you your hair looks
FABULOUS

^^^What KLo said!!! FABULOUS!!!^^^:grin:
Tried a ponytail rollerset and then saran wrap? There might still be a little crease there from the ponytail, but the saran wrap might get most of it out...I dunno...

Stella B.

Have you tried blowing out the roots only after shampooing? I know you said you didn't want to use blow dryers or flat irons so much, but Macherieamor has a rollersetting DVD that explains the whole process of rollersetting and zapping the roots for about 3 seconds per roller with a hand held blow dryer and a round bristle brush. This could be done after taking the rollers out and before doing the saran wrap treatment. I've never tried it, but I've read on some boards that it works. Might be something you could check into. Personally, I find that applying a light oil, or cream to my roots, and tying a satin scarf securely on the hair for a while or overnight helps the hair roots to lie flatter.

Ms_Twana

Bump.

OP did you find a solution?? I just rollerset my hair and the part that was exposed on each roller is frizzy and a HOTT MESS. :pullhair: The rest of my hair is nice and smooth though. EVEN MY ENDS!!!! :clapping::yay::happydance:

So, I need to know how to make he exposed part smooth without heat. TIA.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

If you roll upward it will smooth it out more (the opposite way). I also remember my roots not being so bad as long as I DC with something really moisturizing it was so soft it didn't bother me, also head bands and twist or pinning the front up some kind of way would hide the NG.

ceebee3

Bump.

OP did you find a solution?? I just rollerset my hair and the part that was exposed on each roller is frizzy and a HOTT MESS. :pullhair: The rest of my hair is nice and smooth though. EVEN MY ENDS!!!! :clapping::yay::happydance:

So, I need to know how to make he exposed part smooth without heat. TIA.

If you're going for a straight look just wrap the hair and leave it wrapped for a while. I usually do it overnight, but you don't have to for it to be straight.

Once you take it down, the entire length should be straight.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Roll your hair up like you want to wear a flip. That helps to flatten the cuticle and the roots for a more smooth, flat and straightened look.

Ms_Twana

If you're going for a straight look just wrap the hair and leave it wrapped for a while. I usually do it overnight, but you don't have to for it to be straight.

Once you take it down, the entire length should be straight.

No, I'm just referring to the roots. The part that is exposed is the roots and a little past the roots.

Thanks.

When I did the rollerset, I DID roll upward. LOL. Apparently, I didn't do it right. My rollers probably were not tight enough. I'm thinking about just buying the extra wide curlformers to use for the front of my hair.

Last edited: