"Roll Tuck Pin" as a Protective Style

CurlsBazillion

http://youtu.be/dqkAeHyX28A
Hey Ladies. I've been doing a variation of this after every co wash as a way to avoid manipulating my hair even more than I already do as a daily cowasher. I do it on damp hair as a way to keep my ends moist and stretch my hair. I don't wear it out because I don't try to jazz it up, its just a way to put up the ends without a hair band/tie. I also wear my hair under my half wigs like this. I'm seeing alot of bunning, braiding, wng, twist outs, sew ins, etc but not to many ppl using this as their main protective style as far as I know. So my question is... Do any of you do this as a protective style and have seen good retention?

(ignore thin spot...bad touch up over a year ago :nono:)

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

Kimmay does/did. I can never get it to stay right of have the front look fresh enough. But as long as it's protective I can see it being a great way to retain.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I haven't worn this style yet but I think it's really cute! You could wear pretty clips, combs, and all sorts of nifty hair candy.

It seems like it would be a good protective style and if you're concerned about ends and bunning, you should be able to achieve a similar look with two large flat twists (one on each side.... not sure what they're called) and tucking the ends of them under. It worked for me when I wore it but because of my shrinkage I had to make the twist sections close so I wouldn't look crazy in high humidity. :lol: :)

Wanderland

I try but my hair isn't long enough in the back to do this gracefully. But when it get's there, it'll be a mainstay especially with retro variations in the front.

CurlsBazillion

Kimmay does/did. I can never get it to stay right of have the front look fresh enough. But as long as it's protective I can see it being a great way to retain.

I will check her out...I don't really enjoy her videos but I won't shoot the messenger.

I haven't worn this style yet but I think it's really cute! You could wear pretty clips, combs, and all sorts of nifty hair candy.

It seems like it would be a good protective style and if you're concerned about ends and bunning, you should be able to achieve a similar look with two large flat twists (one on each side.... not sure what they're called) and tucking the ends of them under. It worked for me when I wore it but because of my shrinkage I had to make the twist sections close so I wouldn't look crazy in high humidity. :lol: :)

Iluvsmuhgrass Took me a minute to visualize this look lol. I got it tho and I will try it, thanks!

I do variations of the roll/tuck/pin style and wear it out. It can be very versatile.

Wildchild453 do you happen to have any pictures??:grin: I love how quick this style is and would love to wear it out.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I do this too, great protective style, ends 100% hidden :yep: and its easy.

With hairpins:

With "hairzings" (actually bootleg BSS hairzings lol):

With a ponytail holder, I call this the "tuck bun"

and to answer your question yes, definitely the first 4 styles benefited me greatly; esp when I was trying to get to SL, and my hair was still too short to bun :yep: When it got longer I could eventually do the tuck bun.

Last edited:

Uniqzoe

Your hair looks great and I am a fan of short term p.s. I would love to do the roll tuck but my hair is so dense I can't seem to get it to lay down enough in the front to look decent enough to leave the house. I am not skilled at flat twist and braiding so I'm sure it would help if I were.

LilMissRed

@halee-very pretty!

I cant wait to try this ps.. I need a lil more length tho :look:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

CurlsBazillion

I do this too, great protective style, ends 100% hidden :yep: and its easy.

With hairpins:

With "hairzings" (actually bootleg BSS hairzings lol):

With a ponytail holder, I call this the "tuck bun"

and to answer your question yes, definitely the first 4 styles benefited me greatly; esp when I was trying to get to SL, and my hair was still too short to bun :yep: When it got longer I could eventually do the tuck bun.

halee_J This really inspires me to step my p.s up! I agree it is super easy and I definitely need to buy some hairzings asap:yep::yep:!! Thank you so much for this info and beautiful pictures!

PJaye

http://youtu.be/dqkAeHyX28A
Hey Ladies. I've been doing a variation of this after every co wash as a way to avoid manipulating my hair even more than I already do as a daily cowasher. I do it on damp hair as a way to keep my ends moist and stretch my hair. I don't wear it out because I don't try to jazz it up, its just a way to put up the ends without a hair band/tie. I also wear my hair under my half wigs like this. I'm seeing alot of bunning, braiding, wng, twist outs, sew ins, etc but not to many ppl using this as their main protective style as far as I know. So my question is... Do any of you do this as a protective style and have seen good retention?

(ignore thin spot...bad touch up over a year ago :nono:)

This picture is exactly how I wear my hair 99% of the time, especially when I go to bed (I didn't know that there was a name for it:lol:).

After DCing/cowashing/refreshing with a spritz, I will flip it up with the ends exposed so that they can dry; then I tuck them in and secure it all with a clip or claw.

I think has been working well for me.

CurlsBazillion

This picture is exactly how I wear my hair 99% of the time, especially when I go to bed (I didn't know that there was a name for it:lol:).

After DCing/cowashing/refreshing with a spritz, I will flip it up with the ends exposed so that they can dry; then I tuck them in and secure it all with a clip or claw.

I think has been working well for me.

:lol: so i'm not alone because this is something I've been doing whenever I wet me my hair for almost 4 months now. Glad to see other ladies are finding success with this p.s

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
DayDreamist def. get some hairzings :yep: The tuck is the best PS style like ever! Feel free to PM me if you want more info on how I use the hairzings :)