Relaxers and Hair loss

prettygrl

I got a relaxer the other day from a stylist that I have been going to for years. I have 4a/b hair and I waited about 4 months before I got a touch up. I combed through my hair though each day in the shower while it was wet. When I got to the salon the stylist did not try to comb the hair or detangle it before putting the relaxer on.
I'm not sure what caused it but clumps of my hair came out...she said it was b/c I waited so long for a touch up. When I got home I notice that I have some scabs on my scalp. When it was being rinsed out it really felt like I had cuts in my scalp...
There has been one other time at home when I had clumps of hair come out after a relaxer. It isn't noticeable thank god. I still have quite a bit of hair on my head, but it's a scary feeling.
Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause this to happen?
When it happend at home I had used Alternatives relaxer, my stylist uses Optimum.
My stylist told me that the solution is to get touchups more frequently...I feel like maybe the relaxer is being left on too long...any suggestions?

I think if the problem of your hair falling out continues, you should go get your scalp checked out by a professional. Or, maybe she had it on too long.

I think she should have detangled your hair first before applying the relaxer. Since she didn't she then had to be more rough just to apply the perm and in the process ended up taking out too much of your hair.

I think you waited too long to get a relaxer. Stretching out relaxers is not good for everyone (definitely me), and I have 4a hair. It probably took her longer to apply the relaxer since you had so much new growth, hence the scabs.

Stretching out relaxers is definatly not a reason for your relaxer to have done that to your head...The problem is that before she put the relaxer in your hair, detangling is an absolute must. I've gone more than half a year and i dont get clumps of hair falling out. I think that at least 5 days b4 you went tot get the relaxer you shoukd have done a protein treat ment and you should have detangled your hair on your own, to prevent tearing from impatient stylists.....I am extremly sorry

Stretching out relaxers is definatly not a reason for your relaxer to have done that to your head...The problem is that before she put the relaxer in your hair, detangling is an absolute must. I've gone more than half a year and i dont get clumps of hair falling out. I think that at least 5 days b4 you went tot get the relaxer you shoukd have done a protein treat ment and you should have detangled your hair on your own, to prevent tearing from impatient stylists.....I am extremly sorry

Two comments:

1. Of course your hair MUST be detangled thoroughly scalp to ends before the relaxer touches it. If a licensed stylist didn't realize this, she's not qualified to do the job. Is this the first time she's made the error?

2. People experience excessive shedding after relaxing because the neutralizer wasn't applied long enough. I read on another board that it's better to neutralize repeatedly and then before the last rinse, and then to let the neutralizer sit on the hair for several minutes. Else the relaxer might still be active in the cortex of the hair while you're being rushed from the washbowl back to the chair for styling.

The same thing happened to me the last time I relaxed and my stylist whom I have been going to for years said I waited too long, I normally go 6-8 weeks, this time I went 12. She also did not detangle and said my hair was matted. I had scabs and my scalp also felt cut under the shampoo bowl, luckily like you said, I still have hair, however I am looking for a new stylist(because this one is not open to following my wishes) but in the meantime am also not going to stretch out my relaxer past 8 weeks because I do think that contributed, but think my stylist should have took the time to detangle as well.

Relaxers are harsh chemicals. There is always a risk when applying them. I don't think it was stretching out the relaxer or not detangling. I think it was the chemical. Plus, I know that it is not good to mix relaxers.

THESE HAIRSTYLISTS ARE LIARS!!! stretching out relaxers does not do this to your hair. i have had this happened to me in the past and i was left with the a one inch patch. these stylists leave relaxers too long in people's hair, or they use to strong of a relaxer, or they don't base the scalp, or they try to blame it on your dry scalp (well if the scalp my scalp was dry, why did u tell me to treat it and have me come back when its in better condition, or do a strand test), or they didn't detangle ur hair. I tell u these stylists make me sick. how would they like it if i applied some relaxer to their hair and it fell out. some people in this place don't deserve licenses. i say u find someone else to do your hair.
mad.gif

ok, i think the shedding and the scabs are too different things. i find that my hair sheds more around touchup time anyway as if it has intuition or something. (and its not breakage bc i'm super paranoid to check for the bulb)
Combine that with the fact that i comb my hair less when i have lots of newgrowth and you have the (what seems like) extreme shedding after the relaxer and conditioner.

i always shed alot due to these two factors but my hair is still very thick. i think its just like when you have braids and have not combed out the shedded hair and then when you take out the braids its seems like loads of hair. its the same thing for me.
I would not connect this to having scabs. my hair can be parted for the relaxer and relaxed without my scalp being attacked, hair being pulled out, and relaxer being super.

i don't think hair that is so fragile bc of the newgrowth attached should be "detangled". i think it should be parted with the end of comb and gently pulled apart to get to the scalp so the hair is not yanked or pulled out. The relaxer should be applied with the back of the comb not the teeth so that the scalp is not irritated. this should be obvious to stylists or any other people that apply relaxers in order to prevent unnecessary breakage.

Back