Relaxer Question--underprocessed area

princessdi

I just did a relaxer touchup and am very pleased with the results. :grin: However, I noticed that during my touchups I end up with what looks like underprocessed hair.:wallbash: My new growth relaxes well but the length of my hair is where the underprocessed hair is. My next relaxer touchup is in December. Should I run the relaxer through the ends of the hair during this touchup to get all of my hair to be one texture?

I can't keep allowing this underprocessed part to grow because I'm afraid the different textures will start to break. It's so much drier than the rest of my hair plus it looks terrible.

I haven't done this since I started LHCF, but I think it needs to be done. Has anyone done this with success? If so, how should I do it and how long should the relaxer be left in the already relaxed hair so that there isn't any damage?

My hope is to have all of my hair be one texture after my next touchup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SelfStyled

:hiya: I know EXACTLY what you are talking about....I had the same problem where my roots were nice and relaxed but the middle section of my hair was severely underprocessed. I had it professionally corrected at the salon, and it was overprocessed and subsequently has started to break, and it's still frizzy,WTH? Couple ?? for you.

How many inches are you talking about? Does it really look that bad? Can you get it stratight with rollersetting?

It's all a matter of personal choice, but if you decide. My suggestions would be make sure you DC weekly until the next touch up and if you do a corrective only leave it on or like 5 min.

princessdi

:hiya: I know EXACTLY what you are talking about....I had the same problem where my roots were nice and relaxed but the middle section of my hair was severely underprocessed. I had it professionally corrected at the salon, and it was overprocessed and subsequently has started to break, and it's still frizzy,WTH? Couple ?? for you.

How many inches are you talking about? Does it really look that bad? Can you get it stratight with rollersetting?

It's all a matter of personal choice, but if you decide. My suggestions would be make sure you DC weekly until the next touch up and if you do a corrective only leave it on or like 5 min.

Thanks for responding. It's about two to three inches of hair. Yes, I can get it straight with rollersetting, and it's not breaking, I'm just concerned that it may start breaking. I'm wondering if I should give it a week and then go ahead and relax that part.

gymfreak336

Thanks for responding. It's about two to three inches of hair. Yes, I can get it straight with rollersetting, and it's not breaking, I'm just concerned that it may start breaking. I'm wondering if I should give it a week and then go ahead and relax that part.

Wait atleast 4 weeks to re do it. If you can get it straight with rollersets then wait until your next touch up. Then in the last couple of minutes of smoothing, spread the relaxer onto those sections to help get them straighter. Since certain areas are underprocessed, keep up the moisture treatments since underprocessed hair tends to be dry. Then before you relax again do a protein treatment the wash before you relax.

SelfStyled

Wait atleast 4 weeks to re do it. If you can get it straight with rollersets then wait until your next touch up. Then in the last couple of minutes of smoothing, spread the relaxer onto those sections to help get them straighter. Since certain areas are underprocessed, keep up the moisture treatments since underprocessed hair tends to be dry. Then before you relax again do a protein treatment the wash before you relax.

ITA w/ Gym either wait at least 4 weeks or until your next relaxer in Dec. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

cici22

Can this be done with a no-lye relaxer?

LiLi

It sounds like you hair is not underprocessed but just didn't get as straight as you wanted it to. Truely underprocessed hair will be frizzy, dry, and will break easily. If this isn't the case I, personally, would leave it be. However, if it is truely underprocessed you can correct it by using a lye relaxer and only leaving it in for 5 minutes -- no longer. This process will not straighten you hair much more but it will silken the texture making it easy to manage. I did this process on a test section of my hair a couple of years ago and now that section is brastrap (it was barely touching my shoulders when I relaxed it) ... absolutely no breakage what-so-ever.

Now I strickly use lye relaxers and I make sure to glob that stuff on and not be stingy with it. In addition, I chelate a few days before I relax, deep condition, moisturize with my Afro Detangler and use my beloved (for 3 years now) Chi Silk Infusion. If you have massive build-up, the relaxer will take longer to "cut" through it.

HTH!

Jessofpal

Its interesting the different takes we have. I was always taught that bone straight is over processed. Ideally relaxed hair is supposed to have some curl pattern left but it can easily be taken out with styling. I just did a relaxer on wendsday and there are about 4 inches of my hair that are somewhere between texlaxed and bone straight, kind of a wavy texture. I personally love it because I like to wear my hair wavy in the summer as a wash and go. I can't wait for my hair to get longer so i cut off the ends that are bone straight from mylast salon relaxer

princessdi

Thank you. Since it's not so bad i'm going to wait unitl my next touchup to do it. I'll let you know how it goes.

princessdi

It sounds like you hair is not underprocessed but just didn't get as straight as you wanted it to. Truely underprocessed hair will be frizzy, dry, and will break easily. If this isn't the case I, personally, would leave it be. However, if it is truely underprocessed you can correct it by using a lye relaxer and only leaving it in for 5 minutes -- no longer. This process will not straighten you hair much more but it will silken the texture making it easy to manage. I did this process on a test section of my hair a couple of years ago and now that section is brastrap (it was barely touching my shoulders when I relaxed it) ... absolutely no breakage what-so-ever.

Now I strickly use lye relaxers and I make sure to glob that stuff on and not be stingy with it. In addition, I chelate a few days before I relax, deep condition, moisturize with my Afro Detangler and use my beloved (for 3 years now) Chi Silk Infusion. If you have massive build-up, the relaxer will take longer to "cut" through it.

HTH!

Thank you. Yes, it helps a lot. I'm going to try this with my next touchup.

gymfreak336

Thank you. Since it's not so bad i'm going to wait unitl my next touchup to do it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep us posted. I actually just relaxed my hair...like 30 minutes ago and I have one section that could be a little straighter but I will wait too.