Relaxer experts please help (pics included)!!!!

Kellum

I'm a newbie in dire need of help! I need to get a corrective relaxer like yesterday. I am currently 7 weeks post. I tried to relax my hair after almost 2 years of growing it out and the relaxer didn't take. My hair is severly under processed. I was going to wait until I got to 12 weeks but I just can't take it any more. I'm thinking about relaxing this weekend or maybe next week when I make 8 weeks post.

I would go to my old stylist in but he is unreliable. He stood me up on my wedding day and other occasions after that. I pretty much left him alone. He always did a good job with my hair and it was healthy but I just don't trust him anymore. Plus I don't have 6 hours to waste at the salon and he is very scissor happy.

I decided I would give someone a try out where I am locally. I went to the JCPenny salon and spoke with stylist and explained my situation. I saw that they use Mizani and Affirm relaxers. She suggested that I get an Affirm relaxer because the relaxer has a protectant that will keep my hair from over processing. She said that she would just apply the relaxer to my NG and then smooth it to the ends about the last 5 mins or so and that it would come out straight.

I am a little concerned because my hair is very, very, very under processed and I don't think 5 mins will be enough. What if it doesn't get straight and I am back in the same situation. Plus I read on here that Affirm tends to dry your hair out and I don't want that. What do you ladies think?

1. Is the Affirm relaxer a good one to use or should I get the Mizani?

2. Is the Affirm relaxer drying to the hair after a while?

3. Do you think that 5 mins will be sufficient time to get the remainder of my hair straight?

I've attached some pictures of my hair. I cowashed, applied my leave ins, sealed with Castor and EVCO, and blow dried it on cool. My hair is about 80% dry in the pictures. I tried to take some close up so that you could see how under processed I am.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Attachments

• 260465067653_0_01.jpg
    260465067653_0_01.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 260465025925_0_02.jpg
    260465025925_0_02.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 61
  • 260465005061_0_01.jpg
    260465005061_0_01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 260464983173_0_01.jpg
    260464983173_0_01.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I've used Affirm Fiberguard for more than a year and havent experienced any problems with dry hair. When I used Mizani in the past, it was way too strong for my hair. My hair was able to keep length but it was shedding, had very see through ends and I always left the salon with chemical burns. The relaxer you choose is more of a personal preference because I see a lot of healthly thick heads of hair that use Mizani. Both left my hair very straight.

I don't really think that 5 minutes will be enough time, but it does look like your curl pattern is pretty loosened so maybe its for the best seeing that both are strong relaxers and this is your second go at it.

Last edited:
I LOVE Affirm with Fiberguard, I've used it for at least the last 3-4 years. I've tried a Mizani, I'm not sure which one, it was cool....but I happily went back to my Affirm. I haven't had any issues regarding dryness, but there are ways to correct dryness DC'ing etc, I don't know if 5 mins is long enough,
1. b/c of the 2 yrs before the underprocessed perm
2. I've been relaxing for years and my hair would laugh at a 5 min application.
I am no relaxer expert just my .02 cents.

I did a corrective myself at 4 wks posts and my hair came out very good! I applied for 18 min and still had some texture. At 7 wks post you should at least have her apply for 15 min. After all 7 wks post a getting a relaxer is normal for most peeps. Oh, and I use affirm.

Thanks for the replies ladies. I didn't think that 5 mins would be enough time. Bumping for more responses.....

Hi and Welcome - I would have to concur with the others - 5 minutes is not long enough and you definitely have head full of beautiful hair ....I use the Mizani Butter Blend - I don't think that JCPenney carries this type of Mizani - they use the old versions of Mizani which are very strong....

Back