Relaxed vs Natural - Inferiority vs Superiority

krissynick

why is it that relax heads look down upon naturals and vice versa. its so upsetting to me. As black ppl ,we should stick together and not hurt each other cause other races are doing enough of that anyway. I feel that relaxed heads look at naturals and make fun and call them nappy etc and i dont feel its right. ( Im relaxed by the way) and then some naturals....look at us relaxed heads and say oh we trying to be white and we dont like our hair and all this nonsense and thats not right either. I feel like god gaves us the best type of hair. Its very versatile and unique and its not a curse. We are just not patient and learn to educate ourselves on our hair. The bible says ppl are destroyed because they lack knowledge and its so true.. We need to educate ourselves and know that either way .. relax or natural we can healthy beautiful hair. Lets stop all the hatred and just loves ourselves for who we are.

Im a natural- I was relaxed at one phase of my life now I'm on to another phase.
I dont feel inferior or superior to anyone's hair choices. I think that the fact that we are versatile makes us all the more beautiful. I get tips and recommendations from all types of hair on this board. Shoo I even got hair tips from a site where the majority of the member's hair is Type 1 or 2.
If someone refers to my head as nappy - they are absolutely right!
36_1_33.gif

I used to be relaxed, I'm now natural, and I don't hate on anyone who choose otherwise - don't have time for that sort of unneeded stress.

I'm superior to some, in some ways, and inferior to the same some in others - hair is just one of the many ways I realize we're not really all that different....

i've personally never thought that about naturals. If anything im more aware and appreciative of natural hair since my hair journey.

I don't feel that way. If you have nice hair, you have nice hair regardless of whether you have chemicals on your hair or not.

I agree with you sis. despite our natural hair for some, might feel and look like a brillo pad, it actually is the most fragile. the diversity that we have is truly a blessing...a beautiful one. but, I do feel that the more educated we are on how to properly manage and care for our hair is the key. we've seen the light about a lot of misconceptions of our hair, thus being slaves as opposed to adorning it as the crown and glory God gave us. no matter which state which chose to have. and no I don't feel neither superior or inferior. but I'll bow down to a head of hair, whether natural or relaxed, if it's healthy:grin:

thanks guys for all ur responses. I just want to make it clear that im not saying everyone is like this.. im just saying some cause of what i hear people say in the street.

The bible says ppl are destroyed because they lack knowledge

:whyme::yep:

God did give us the best type of hair. Versatile and strong and beautiful. My last natural run was very freeing, because I really came to understand my natural texture's needs, which helps me to understand my relaxed hair better. For the people with those mentalities I think it is really pointless, sad and speaks more of their own personal issues. Personally, I have been relaxed and natural off and on during my life and I never looked at the opposite in a negative light, but as one's personal choice. I think people need to get their own "house (self) in order" and stop concentrating on others so much. Sometimes people like that focus too heavily on others to avoid dealing with their own issues.

Back