RELAXED/TEXLAXED: Hair Care Challenges You Face?

loolalooh

I am putting together a survey. What hair care challenges do you face with your relaxed/texlaxed hair? You can give answers related to deep conditioning, moisturizing, stretching, growth, etc.

Example: "I cannot get protein/moisture balance down."

TIA.

newbeginnings2010

Balancing maintaining length and shampooing. I'm not proud of it, but the way I finally passed the APL line and got to BSB was with shampooing once every 4 weeks.:blush: My scalp doesn't itch and my hair doesn't stink because I only use light serum to "moisturize" (not really moisture, I know), but this is the first time I've ever been FULL BSB and only and inch or two away from BSL. I know it's the low manipulation that's really to thank for the growth, but washing every week after 8 weeks post relaxer only leads to severe breakage for me (I stretch to 16-20 weeks at a time).

Onhergrind09

My biggest hurdle is recognizing where the line is between the necessary manipulation that it takes to care for my hair versus manipulating it too much so that I get unnecessary breakage.

Lissa0821

After week 8 of a stretch, my new growth in my crown is very coarse and dry. I am still trying to figure how to care for this area without weighing my hair.

HoneyDew

Along with some of the other thing mentioned, one of mine if avoiding heat styling and trying to master rollersets.

Mische

I'd say minimizing detangling breakage on wet hair. The obvious answer would be to just detangle strictly on dry hair, but sometimes I need to do some wet detangling to set certain styles. I'm constantly working on breaking less hairs during the process. I've been doing a lot better the last few weeks, so there's hope!

Evolving78

figuring out how to properly moisturize my hair. nothing seems to work or i haven't found the right product yet. i just realized that i will be detangling my hair dry with oil for now on as well. i had the same issues with dryness when i was natural.
i am just trying to figure out how to grow my hair relaxed/natural on my own. but i think i just need to let a professional handle this or get me on the right track.

Aireen

- Breakage when blow-drying and I love blow-drying. D; (I guess I can just stop washing my hair when I'm in a rush and take the time to separate and section my hair to dry it.)

- Severe knotting when stretching. (I realized that I have to use really moisturizing conditioners with tons of slip and have my hair properly detangled before washing. I'm planning to cling to Tresemme and Aussie.)

- Nape and edges but I give up on that, God will have to lay hands or something. :perplexed

Last edited:

ReignLocks

Co-signing with mamaore, finding the right leave-in, properly blow drying my hair so that heat is not necessary afterwards, and knowing when I need to up the moisture or up the protein.

sunnieb

I had to let go of alot of myths about relaxed hair - no more monthly touch ups, becoming a total diy'er, etc.

Protein/moisture balance - my hair leans towards needing way more moisture than protein. I can get away with doing light protein treatments bi-weekly now.

Learning how to care for my hair when I hit 8-9 weeks post - cowashing has helped tremendously!

I was lucky that I found the right products early in my hair journey because I was able to find relaxed ladies with hair textures similar to mine and tried what they used.

Heat - I initially didn't plan to become heat-free, but my hair thrives so well without it that I don't miss it. I'm proud to show off my newgrowth as it comes in because I know how to take care of it. Newgrowth is not the enemy! :)

Over-processing - one of the main reasons I started self-relaxing is that every salon I went to made my hair appear thin. Now, I don't have that wet seal look with a fresh relaxer.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Another challenge for me is being able to maintain my hair style and workout as much as I want to.

TresLeches

A current challenge of mine is that I have very short hair, like pixie short and it's very diffcult finding styles to do WITHOUT heat and still have my hair look nice! Its annoying, because I want to grow my hair but I dont think frequent heat is going to be any good for my growth.

I am also trying to figure out the protein to moisture balance for my hair, thats a big challenge...

Aggie

I am texlaxed and straggly ends seem to be my issue when I don't protective style my hair. I want to look cute and leave my hair out everyday but my poor fine ends suffer something fierce from the elements. Not only that, I get split ends so easily too so I really have to keep them moisturized and sealed.

My texlaxed hair is too tight so I am thinking about adding less oil and grease to my next relaxer to straighten my hair just a tad bit or use a texturizer - not sure which yet. As a result of the tight texlaxed hair, I am concerned about ssks too and that's the main reason for making my hair a little straigher. I have to admit though, I really love my hair texlaxed.

I know my hair now so I don't have too many challenges in figuring out if it needs protein or moisture anymore but in the beginning of my hair journey, this was a major challenge for me.

Also, cone laden products were killing my hair for a while and I did not know that in order to remove the constant build up, that I had to clarify more often (something I was not doing at all), so I lost a lot of hair a while back.

I am not afraid to clarify/shampoo my hair regularly anymore. I am just careful not to use sulfate shampoos. Even my clarifying shampoo is sulfate-free now. The only thing left for me to do now is chamge my sulfate neutralizing poo to sulfate-free - something I will do pretty soon.

Mind you, my hair does love a little bit of cone and acts better when I use them, but just not too much for too long without clarifying. I think these are/were my main challenges as a texlaxed head.

Aggie

Oh by the way, I tried cowashing and I ended up with very thin ends, ssks, and a lot of split ends. This is definitely not for me:nono:.

xu93texas

My current challenges pertain to "stretching and protective styling". I'm NL at the moment and I've spent a lot of money trying to protect my ends so I can retain length. I'm so ready to be at least full SL so I can start wearing buns 90% of the time.

In regards to stretching, I'm still trying to get a feel for the appropriate time for me to stretch. Last year my stretches averaged 12-14 weeks at a time. This year I wanted to try to relax every 4 months. We'll see... Currently, I'm 10 wks post and I'm already seeing some minor breakage. :nono:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Dry and splitting ends is number one.

Number two is adding and/or maintaining the thickness of the hair.

And then the process of touching up is stressful for me.
My salon is really far from my house and very busy, so if I don't want to spend an entire day there, I have to go super early. Then when she's doing it, I have to watch carefully to be sure that she isn't overlapping or smoothing too much or smoothing too little and did she wash it out enough and blah blah blah. I just always have to be on high alert because relaxer is such a tricky thing and it's so easy to make an irreversible mistake with it. The stress would be even worse if I were a self-relaxer.

IMFOCSD

I have to realize that keeping my ends moist at all times makes a big difference when it comes to maintaining healthy ends for me....I need to be more consistent with this.

mrselle

I have every issue that has been listed.

-Breakage. I have breakage along my edges, and at the ends.

-My hair is very fine and oil doesn't seem to do anything but weigh my hair down and make it look greasy.

-Moisture/protein balance

-Making my ends nice and thick and even.

-Retaining length

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
Shedding
Heat free curles that last
Properly moisturized new growth
See through ends after a certain length

Being a DIY relaxed head is extremely tough..

OhmyKimB

Because I have blond highlights keeping a moisture/protein balance is pretty difficult for me.

Working out and keeping a hairstyle

Shedding

NaiyaAi

1.) Keeping my new growth moisturized along the edges to get rid of breakage at the line of demarcation.

2.) Learning how to self-relax without underprocessing, or getting the hang of stretching without extreme breakage. As an out-of-state college student, only one person has ever relaxed my hair and this person lives in my home state. Coordinating relaxer days with major school breaks isn't always possible, so I've been forced to find another solution.

3.) Getting the hang of moisture/protein balance.

4.) Keeping my ends moisturized and getting rid of split ends.

5.) Learning how to air-dry without dryness/breakage.