questions for the naturals

naturallyme

after u wash your hair, how do u perpare your hair to dry to stretch it out when your about to wear a puff? do u let your hair air dry in braids, twists, ponytail, or out? and do u have to comb it out if it's in braids or twists inorder to make your hair look like a puff? the reason i'm asking is because i always let my hair air dry in 4 braids and then the next day i take the braids out and then i have to comb it out when my hair is dry. i really hate doing that and it's a bad bad habit, but i like my puffs to look big and full. i'm just curious to know what u ladies do. thanks in advance!!!!

tallnomad

i'm texturized now, but it still acts and looks natural. so now and when i was fully natural, i would have it wet and then put a pantyhose headband around my head and push up letting it get smaller and smaller until i had my desired puff size. i would then let it dry for a bit or diffuse it lightly if in a hurry and then take a pick and puff it out and up.

saqqara

tiffcurl said:
i'm texturized now, but it still acts and looks natural. so now and when i was fully natural, i would have it wet and then put a pantyhose headband around my head and push up letting it get smaller and smaller until i had my desired puff size. i would then let it dry for a bit or diffuse it lightly if in a hurry and then take a pick and puff it out and up.

That's what I do! :lol: I thought I was the only one. This is a great way to combat shrinkage for those who cant twist or braid up their hair at night.

naturaline

i frist add conditioner on dry hair and then wash my hair in about 10 braids. next i lightly towel dry. i undo the plaits the next morning or if i it in the morning i undo the plaits after they are dampish dry. then as tiffcurl said- i put a pantyhose headband around my head and push up letting it get smaller and smaller until i had my desired puff size. this really works well.

i wear a full head baggie every night so the next morning my hairs ready for puffing.

hth
x

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
naturallyme said:
after u wash your hair, how do u perpare your hair to dry to stretch it out when your about to wear a puff? do u let your hair air dry in braids, twists, ponytail, or out? and do u have to comb it out if it's in braids or twists inorder to make your hair look like a puff? the reason i'm asking is because i always let my hair air dry in 4 braids and then the next day i take the braids out and then i have to comb it out when my hair is dry. i really hate doing that and it's a bad bad habit, but i like my puffs to look big and full. i'm just curious to know what u ladies do. thanks in advance!!!!
I do the same thing as you except I do more than just 4 braids...anywhere from 8 to 12 braids. This is the only way I can do a stretched out puff is if I airdry in braids and pick it out with a afro pic comb. I've tried twists and it didn't stretch my hair out like braids did. So now, I haven't been doing my all time favorite puff :ohwell: but my hair has been thanking me for it! :) I just do twistouts now without combing.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I will have to try the pantyhose head band. I have some bra stap ones, but the back of my head is so flat they slide right on off if they are in the least bit tight, but they dont hold my hair down well enough if they are too loose. Do the pantyhose give it more traction?

so1913

After I wash, I usually add my leave in's, wrap my hair up with a microfiber towel to absorb the water and/or use a quick shot of the diffuser to help speed up drying. My hair needs to be dry BEFORE i place into a "puff" to get a big and full puff. I fluff with my fingers and a dressing to give more volume or shape and use an ouchless head band to position in place, sliding the front and back of the band to where I want my puff to hold.