Questions about extensions from a newbie. Desperate for help!

fromnikki25

My hair is dry and untamed. I tried several different things to get my hair under control but none of it is working. I been natural with no heat for about 2 years. I'm hopeful that if I start protective braiding my hair it will help me to manage it better. I want to do twists with extensions. My problem is I don't know anything about extensions. I'm also a little scared to use them. When I was able 10 my mom had my hair box braided. When I couldn't stand the braids anymore because it was too tight my mom removed the braids and my hair that was waist length broke off to my shoulders. The braids was only in for a week. A friend told my mom the problem was that she washed my hair the day the braids was put in. I'm not sure if that what was the problem or not.

20 years later I'm ready to try it again but I don't know where to start. Please please please help me.

My hair is bra strap length, 3b, extremely dry, natural but damaged. My scalp is dry, itch, flaky and angry.

Where do I start??
What should I or shouldn't do to my hair to prep it for twisting?
Is human hair better for protecting hair?
Where can I get hair online?
Is there anything else I should know or consider?

Please and thank you for any information at all. I had no where ask to ask these questions. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I would start by really spending just a bit of time to find products that your hair responds to. I wouldn’t want you to simply put hair that isn’t hydrated in extensions as it could exacerbate the problem.

Do you have any deep conditioners, leave ins, or moisturizers that have somewhat worked? Any product lines that seem to be promising?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
after your moisture levels are up, my standard advice for extensions for naturals are:
-stretch your hair to avoid tangles during the process. I like to Blowdry, but rollersetting or banding also work.
-less is more. Do not put too much extension hair per braid, as it will cause unnecessary tension.
-moisturize and oil: I moisturize and seal my hair in braids, as well as oiling my scalp with Jamaican black castor oil. Sometimes I don’t wash my hair for the duration of the braids :look: but that’s only about 6 weeks, since I do them myself.

this is my go-to technique for knotless braids, and I’ve done them small, medium, and larger using this same technique. It turns out professional looking enough for me and I am pleased with the lack of tension on my scalp. I am very stringent with the amount of hair I put per braid so my braids come out very flat and light.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
1). Are you sure there’s nothing internal going on that’s affecting your scalp
2). The beginning’s usually a good start lol j/k. Make sure it’s not something related to #1 other wise a good shampoo and moisturizing deep condition and/or protein treatment if you’re not sensitive to protein
3). Human hair is pretty expensive so YMMV, so a lot of folks soak the cheaper xpression hair in apple cider vinegar to remove that coating that’s on the hair.
4). There’s a bunch of websites, but the only one I can think of is Samsbeautywarehouse.com
5). I feel like you should get a handle on what your hair actually likes before you get extensions because you’ll still have the same problem once the braids come out. I know you’re probably frustrated, and you wanna do something, but until you get a handle on what’s making your scalp so angry, I think you should leave the extensions alone and do some process of eliminations as far as products, tools, methods of cleansing and deep conditioning.

fromnikki25

I would start by really spending just a bit of time to find products that your hair responds to. I wouldn’t want you to simply put hair that isn’t hydrated in extensions as it could exacerbate the problem.

Do you have any deep conditioners, leave ins, or moisturizers that have somewhat worked? Any product lines that seem to be promising?
I really have been trying to fix my dry hair problem but for some reason it's not clicking. The only product that I found that works great on my hair is carols daughter but the fragrance was so strong it was giving me headaches. I try a new product maybe every week for the last 2 years and nothing is working really. I'm going to try the castor oil. Thank you for the video as well!

fromnikki25

1). Are you sure there’s nothing internal going on that’s affecting your scalp
2). The beginning’s usually a good start lol j/k. Make sure it’s not something related to #1 other wise a good shampoo and moisturizing deep condition and/or protein treatment if you’re not sensitive to protein
3). Human hair is pretty expensive so YMMV, so a lot of folks soak the cheaper xpression hair in apple cider vinegar to remove that coating that’s on the hair.
4). There’s a bunch of websites, but the only one I can think of is Samsbeautywarehouse.com
5). I feel like you should get a handle on what your hair actually likes before you get extensions because you’ll still have the same problem once the braids come out. I know you’re probably frustrated, and you wanna do something, but until you get a handle on what’s making your scalp so angry, I think you should leave the extensions alone and do some process of eliminations as far as products, tools, methods of cleansing and deep conditioning.

1. I don't think so. Honestly I'm not sure. I don't drink water so that's probably contributing to it.
2. lol I'm trying to research shampoos and conditioners now. I was looking into nexxus. I heard they are extremely good for dry hair. I'll also look into protein treatments. Thanks for that info!
3. I'm not too worried about the cost for the hair if it's healthier than synthetic but I've been looking at a lot of youtube videos and I see xpression hair come highly recommended so I'm going to look more into that.
4. Thank you so much!!!!! I literally didn't know any sites I could go too. I was too scared that I might get scammed at Amazon.
5. I understand what your saying and it may sound crazy but I feel like getting the extensions will help me to get a handle on my hair somewhat. On any given day, my hair is dry and untamed. When I braid my own hair it never holds longer than a day and I'm unsure what to do with it because I'm afraid that anything I do I will ruin it more. I feel like having the extensions will give me more freedom with my own hair because I won't have to comb and manipulate it every day. I can spray a leave in every couple days. My ends will be protected and i'll have better access to my scalp. I also feel like it will put me in a better mind frame over all where I'll feel more confident in taking care of my hair and not so defeated.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Food for thought

I suggest to look at ways to do LCO method for everyday maintenance. Try mizani true textures line supposed to be quite good, they also do a line for scalp conditions, Keracare has a line too I think called naturals. You must learn to scrub that scalp with your finger tips to dislodge any dandruff, oil the scalp lightly.

I'm not too familiar with 3b hair but deep conditioning with heat conditioning cap or steamer is best way forward wash hair 1 or 2 times per week and wash and scrub scalp well with finger tips ensure you wash out properly.

Alternate a moisturising shampoo/conditioner a with a light protein conditioner (come in conditioner form) with the heat every week.

Any hair care product you use I would suggest using a small amount/lightly to see what works.

I have 4c hair so it's like sandpaper something more oily works for me i still only lightly oil, liquid on its own dries my hair out like rock

Last edited: