Question about wearing your hair down

jainygirl

Does anyone else feel weird when they wear their hair down? i wear my hair in a bun about 98% of the time and the other 2%it is either in a ponytail or down. But i notice that i feel weird when i wear it out like folks are looking at me thinking i'm trying to show off or something. i don't know if it's real or just what i am percieving but i just wanted to find out from others how you feel or do you even notice others? thanks--jainygirl
smile.gif

I feel weird as well. Sometimes I just ignore it but many times I start putting my hair back in a bun. I really have to resist the urge to put my hair up.

I feel weird also but because I keep thinking it's going to get caught on something and break. I actually had my hair in two twist yesterday and I did not realize that some hair in the back was out. Anway, to make a long story short; the hair become so tangled and knotted because it rubbed between my jacket and shirt. I tried everything; oil, shampoo, conditioner, nothing worked and I had to resort to cutting if off
frown.gif

I don't feel weird, I just hate doing it. I don't mind if it's the weave hair hanging down, but I don't like to wear mine down, because I hate the feeling of my hair on my neck. Plus, my hair has so many different lengths in the front, yuck.
barf.gif

No more bangs.
nono.gif

I have the opposite problem. I've been wanting to try the protective styles, but when I do I get all these weird looks. Guess I look funny-looking with my hair pulled back.
nuts.gif

Yea. I truthfully look a lot different with my hair down. More VA-Va-Voom if you know what I mean. People tend to react to that. I feel more serious when my hair is up. Its like I save it for.....I dunno...I guess the reaction or when I want to make an impression.

[ QUOTE ]
CrownnGlori said:
Yea. I truthfully look a lot different with my hair down. More VA-Va-Voom if you know what I mean. People tend to react to that. I feel more serious when my hair is up. Its like I save it for.....I dunno...I guess the reaction or when I want to make an impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, i feel the same way
smile.gif
i tried something different today since my hair had to finish airdrying, so i twisted my hair up in the back so it was loose at the top. Well when i walked out of Barnes and Noble this guy says "Hey sexy"
shocked.gif
i'm thinking.....hmmmm....i may try this look a little more often
wink.gif
(hair up, but it's still kinda out a little)

You know, before when I wore a bun all the time, I felt nervous, yes can you believe it, nervous to wear my hair down since no one knew how long my hair actually was. Isn't it odd that people just assume because you don't wear your hair down or loose, that you either can't style it or flat don't have any? (Mine was the latter that people assumed)!

I think the nervous feeling would come from all the compliments (I'm very shy
blush.gif
) and comments, like "why don't you wear it down more often", "is that weave", "I didn't know it was that long" (which is okay) but it makes me feel wierd only because they treat Sistas with long hair like an anomaly! In addition, nervous about who I would have to tell off for being a dumb
spank.gif
!

But after, this bun/no heat challenge is done for me, I'm ready for whatever
swordfight.gif
! I hope more than anything that I can encourage others to sacrifice and take care of their hair and also achieve great lengths!

I just started college in September and where I'm from, I'm know for my hair, so for me to be in a place where no one knows me, when I wear my hair down, I definately get plenty of stares because people don't know if it's real or not.

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
Does anyone else feel weird when they wear their hair down? i wear my hair in a bun about 98% of the time and the other 2%it is either in a ponytail or down. But i notice that i feel weird when i wear it out like folks are looking at me thinking i'm trying to show off or something. i don't know if it's real or just what i am percieving but i just wanted to find out from others how you feel or do you even notice others? thanks--jainygirl
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i feel this way too.
ohwell.gif

I get more paranoid wearing my hair down, esp. in the Winter when leaving the salon after a touchup. There are so many things it could catch on - turtlenecks, wool coats, sweaters, the seat belt, my bag, the back of my fabric car seat - and I worry that the frosty temps are overly punishing to my exposed ends. Thought to self: maybe I should bring my Vaseline and scrunchie to the salon for my next touchup... I'd love to see the stylist's face.
laugh.gif

But, I've noticed that when I go to the bss, people are staring *hard* at my hair -men and women- even though I have it up in a protective style. It can be a little creepy to have some strange man staring at my head.
tongue.gif

I'm really nervous about wearing my hair down. usually I'm worried that it looks too short or horrible to wear down properly and when I do get stares and nice comments I'm literally tongue tied with embarrassment. I think I feel safest in a bun because it's what I'm used to. Not so exposed, hair and soul...

godzooki, your hair is growing like a weed.you have achieved a great amount of length in this short time!!
keeo up the good work!!

thanks asummertyme. its strange because my hair is up so much I dont see it and I get depressed and feel like I'm deluding myself and then sometimes I take it down and comb it out and I'm floored! then I wear it down and all those doubts and insecurities come back makine me want to run to the nearest bathroom with a scrunchie. by the way, your hair is beautiful! that "out of a bun" pic had me pouting because my hair out of a bun dont look anything like that!

I haven't worn my hair down since before July of this year and I hope I can remember how to wear it down! Before my bun challenge is over, I want to practice flat ironing so my hair does look nice when I wear it down. I'm looking foward to receiving compliments and stares because my hair looks healthy and long.

Hey jainygirl, you should wear that updo more often. That is my staple style when i go out on the weekend. I just twist most of my hair, and then since i layers i pull out a couple of loose shorter hairs in the front on sides. The style is still very cute and attractive and i am still protecting most of my hair. It looks like a updo for prom.

thnx godzookie!, to get those curlz outa a bun ,instead of twisting your hair around the scruncie, i do it like a circle fan, cause my hair is too short for the twist around, put it in a scruncie, take the length and poke your finger deAd in the middle, and fan the hair all the way around..then all i do is semi twist and pin..and i guess the culs come from the semi twist and pin, almost like a pin curl, i said i will do this after i finish the bun challenge, i will put several of these buns, maybe four and you have instant curlz without any heat, and those curlz last, unlike hotcurler crrlz that drop.....

[ QUOTE ]
garr6982 said:
no one knew how long my hair actually was. Isn't it odd that people just assume because you don't wear your hair down or loose, that you either can't style it or flat don't have any? (Mine was the latter that people assumed)!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can soooo relate to this statement. If people have a need to scrutinize us they should look a little closer. I have noticed that buns tend to come out small depending on the thickness of your hair I suppose. I see a teenaged black girl every day at the bus stop with waist length hair, yet everytime she wears it in a bun, you could never tell that her hair is actually as long as it is and no one pays attention to her when it's up. It's amazing how the bun can be so misleading sometimes. She has a pretty nice sized bun too, but it in no way tells the truth about the length of her hair. BUT when she wears it down, I feel sooo badly for her. She's the one I had said in another post who constantly finger parts her hair in front of people. Hell they're already staring so she probably figures that they dont believe its real....showing her scalp every 12 seconds proves it....poor dear
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
steph said:
Hey jainygirl, you should wear that updo more often. That is my staple style when i go out on the weekend. I just twist most of my hair, and then since i layers i pull out a couple of loose shorter hairs in the front on sides. The style is still very cute and attractive and i am still protecting most of my hair. It looks like a updo for prom.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually exactly how it felt (cute and a little prommy) It seemed like i cheated because the style was so easy to do yet it looked cute
smile.gif

I feel great wearing my hair down. I don't do it often, but every 3 or 4 months, I started wearing it down for one or two days after my retouch. People stare because they are not use to seeing me with my hair down and I can understand that. My hair is usually very bouncy, and full of body after the retouch, so it feels good.

I feel great wearing my hair down. I don't do it often, but every 3 or 4 months, I started wearing it down for one or two days after my retouch. People stare because they are not use to seeing me with my hair down and I can understand that. My hair is usually very bouncy, and full of body after the retouch, so it feels good.

[ QUOTE ]
Miosy said:
I feel weird also but because I keep thinking it's going to get caught on something and break. I actually had my hair in two twist yesterday and I did not realize that some hair in the back was out. Anway, to make a long story short; the hair become so tangled and knotted because it rubbed between my jacket and shirt. I tried everything; oil, shampoo, conditioner, nothing worked and I had to resort to cutting if off
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear that Miosy. How did your hair getting caught between your jacket and shirt make it so tangled?

I must admit, I usually feel a little weird when I wear my hair down. I got my hair done Thursday (so I could wear it down on Friday to a big shing-ding). I guess if I wore it down more often, I wouldn't feel this way (and people wouldn't stare at it when it's down - because I don't wear it down often at all. Then again, I don't mind wearing a bun at all.

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
I'm really nervous about wearing my hair down. usually I'm worried that it looks too short or horrible to wear down properly and when I do get stares and nice comments I'm literally tongue tied with embarrassment. I think I feel safest in a bun because it's what I'm used to. Not so exposed, hair and soul...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your hair is beautiful! You've gotten a good amount of growth this year.
smile.gif
I love the pic of you sitting outside with your two adorable kiddies!

Yes, I feel as you described jainygirl. I am so used to the buns now---and they are so easy! Not so much for the looks from others but becasue I may worry:

-about getting it caught in something
-sweating on it
-making sure it lies down correctly
-combing or playing with it, when I know I shouldn't...

...and the list goes on. It 's such a relief when I could do a conditioner rinse and put it back in its bun.
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

I feel nervous wearing my hair down even when I'm just around the dorm letting my hair dry or something. I'm so paranoid about my ends now
ohwell.gif
I never wear it down outside the dorm (well, I'm doing the bun challenge anyway). But once I get to a good length...BAM! I'm letting it out
laugh.gif

Back