Product Review: Amla Oil (and the smell)

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I am still using Vatika and amla oils! No problem, they are staples for me!

I also received some highlights in the top of my head about two weeks ago, no darkening of them so far.

I will be taking pictures next month after I get my relaxer.

tryn2growmyhair

I wanted to give an update on the Vatika. The smell does not bother me as much when I use it for a limited amount of time (like 30 minutes) before a pre-treatment. I have not really noticed a difference but I do not use it regularly.

I decided to follow up on the advice of some of you who use Amla powder instead. Does anyone have any advice about how to use the powder?

I am also thinking of using the recipe from From Nature With Love. I am not recommending them as a vendor, I have found them to be superexpensive and rude. In fact, the Alma powder I bought from my local Indian store was much cheaper than what FNWL is charging (mine was $3.49 for 3.5 oz and I did not have to pay shipping).

Here is the recipe from their site:

The amla fruit, also known as the Indian gooseberry, comes from a small tree that grows throughout India. The tree is worshipped as “Mother Nature” due to its nourishing fruit. The fruit is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C, and it yields an oil that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat the hair and scalp. It is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. It is also an excellent conditioning herb.

To use amla powder, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing. Amla is best used in combination with shikakai, aritha, neem, bhringraj and tulsi powders. When using the herbs in combination, steep all of the herbs in water and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.

Alternatively, you can make an oil infusion by warming sesame or olive oil in a double boiler with the herbs for 4 hours. After 2 hours has passed, replace the spent herbs. After 4 hours, strain the infusion and preserve it with rosemary oil extract or T-50.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=herbamla&searchflag=1

Now the question is HOW MUCH should I use?

gn1g

melodee said:
I, too, was caught up in all the raves about these indian products, but disliked them very much. Especially Amla--it smelled like urine and chemicals. I used to use it for prepoo treatments overnight, until my husband asked if our son had peed our bed.

The main ingrediant is mineral oil, so I think if you used mineral oil with some actual amla herb you might have similar results.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lachen:

that's hilarious.

sareca

I some got supposedly unscented amla oil from FNWL. So sorry :nono: it's still too strong for me to use as a regular hair oil. It's gonna have to stay in the overnight/pre-poo category. I love my amla rinses tho. Those don't ever smell.

dynamic1

sareca said:
I some got supposedly unscented amla oil from FNWL. So sorry :nono: it's still too strong for me to use as a regular hair oil. It's gonna have to stay in the overnight/pre-poo category. I love my amla rinses tho. Those don't ever smell.

Agreed. I ordered some about 2 years ago and have not re-stocked. The smell was horrid.