Practicing contentment

SummerSolstice

Hi everyone.

My pastor did a sermon about the parable of the workers in the vineyard...

Here is the parable

Anywho, he basically told us that we have no control over God's grace... no control over the quantity, the frequency, the amount... None. And he really hit on the subject of being content with what you have.

I thought about it and I really REALLY need to practice being content. I have so many personal goals and marks that I keep missing and I wonder if those failures to succeed are God telling me to be thankful for what I have now? I am not sure.

How are you practicing contentment in your life? Also, if you are content then what is your motivation to move forward?

I have been confused about this message for awhile.

I think it's a good topic. Heather Lindsey posted a tweet saying something like, "Stop trying to arrive." That mentality that is always trying to get to the next plane can kinda trick us into thinking that that's where we'll really be happy, set, etc. But there's always another goal to reach.

I think contentment is found in focusing all of our energies on loving God and loving others. Whatever motivates us should come out of love.

Me and my friend was just talking about contentment yesturday! It's a dangerous thing to not be content... because it can cause you to run ahead of God, get out of the will of God to obtain desires, etc. But I'm teaching myself contentment by simply seeking God more. I noticed that when I am consistently seeking God, the less I "want" for. It may be something that I may desire, but I don't become consumed with it.I truly trust God and believe that He will give me the desires of my heart, I leave it at His feet.

It is a difference between complacent and contentment. Complaceny is just being in the same stop but having no desire to move forward. Contentment is having the desire to move forward, but at the moment you may not be able to, but it does not take away from you or effect you emotionally, you still have joy.

Wow! That parable says A LOT about what goes on today in companies when it comes to getting paid based on how long you have been working. For example, when I used to work in the pharmacy, a 56 year old pharmacist was telling me that he makes less than the fresh new college grad pharmacists, even though he may have been working for decades before them.

I sometimes feel like I lack contentment. It's like I'm never satisfied. I can get this and that, and still want more! And then I have others wishing to be in my shoes when I'm trying to get into the next new pair of shoes! :lol:

Hi everyone.

My pastor did a sermon about the parable of the workers in the vineyard...

Here is the parable

Anywho, he basically told us that we have no control over God's grace... no control over the quantity, the frequency, the amount... None. And he really hit on the subject of being content with what you have.

I thought about it and I really REALLY need to practice being content. I have so many personal goals and marks that I keep missing and I wonder if those failures to succeed are God telling me to be thankful for what I have now? I am not sure.

How are you practicing contentment in your life? Also, if you are content then what is your motivation to move forward?

I have been confused about this message for awhile.

Excellent topic 'Little Summer'... :up:

One of the ways I define contentment is to be as peace, no matter what.

I am so stuck from this sermon and I think its because somewhere deep down inside I really believed that if I did everything right and prayed hard enough, then I would start getting all of the things I want.
Each year it hasn't happened. i haven't been able to get that nice apartment in DC, haven't been able to have that Sex and the City closet like Samantha and all her buddies... I really thought it was because I wasn't praying hard enough or because I was sinning too much.
Every time I have a break down I find myself screaming and begging to God thinking I can will Him into giving me what I want. And the truth is, there's no way to make that happen if God doesn't want me to have the things I desire. Its SOBERING.

I am so stuck from this sermon and I think its because somewhere deep down inside I really believed that if I did everything right and prayed hard enough, then I would start getting all of the things I want.
Each year it hasn't happened. i haven't been able to get that nice apartment in DC, haven't been able to have that Sex and the City closet like Samantha and all her buddies... I really thought it was because I wasn't praying hard enough or because I was sinning too much.
Every time I have a break down I find myself screaming and begging to God thinking I can will Him into giving me what I want. And the truth is, there's no way to make that happen if God doesn't want me to have the things I desire. Its SOBERING.

This is me! I really struggle with this. Then I get caught up in comparisons to other people and trying to figure out why good things happen to people who "don't deserve it like I do". Which just leads to deeper feelings of discontentment.

A lot of people have a problem with coveting other people's possessions. My struggle is with coveting other people's circumstances. I pray daily for wisdom.

This is me! I really struggle with this. Then I get caught up in comparisons to other people and trying to figure out why good things happen to people who "don't deserve it like I do". Which just leads to deeper feelings of discontentment.

A lot of people have a problem with coveting other people's possessions. My struggle is with coveting other people's circumstances. I pray daily for wisdom.

Its really REALLY hard to watch people who are obviously evil walk around with tons of money, nice things, not a care in the world. I know all have sinned but it is so hard to understand.
This year I have been really preoccupied with the 1% and the Federal Reserve and it seems like those people somehow got more of God's grace than me...
It makes no sense. It still makes no sense.
It makes sense that I am just as guilty of being a sinner as they are, but in my mind, I feel like I am trying, so why not me Lord? I feel like I could be a good steward of many things, so I'm like why doesn't he give me a chance?

But then in comparison, I have so much compared to those who have so little...

UGH its too hard I can't. :ohwell:

This is a good thread topic and I cosign with the discussion on seeking God. I go through waves - when I'm focused on the Lord, I am content. When I lose that focus, I am discontent.

What's interesting is that the recent posts remind me of a passage I read recently in Jeremiah. Jeremiah asks the Lord in Chapter 12:

Lord, you always give me justice
when I bring a case before you.
So let me bring you this complaint:
Why are the wicked so prosperous?
Why are evil people so happy?

2 You have planted them,
and they have taken root and prospered.
Your name is on their lips,
but you are far from their hearts.
3 But as for me, Lord, you know my heart.
You see me and test my thoughts.
Drag these people away like sheep to be butchered!
Set them aside to be slaughtered!
4 How long must this land mourn?

And God replies in Chapter 12:
“If racing against mere men makes you tired,
how will you race against horses?
If you stumble and fall on open ground,
what will you do in the thickets near the Jordan?

It's about the race.
The things of this world are temporary.
Let contentment be found in uniting with God.

Very timely topic for me. Question why do we equate God's grace with him blessing us with things or opportunities though?

Very timely topic for me. Question why do we equate God's grace with him blessing us with things or opportunities though?

This is really an eye-opening question! God's Word teaches us that we have victory -- over sin and death. Sipping the world's Kool-Aid has taught us to measure blessing in terms of money, trinkets, high-fives and "likes".

Because...
At least for me, security and comfort have much to do with my happiness. When I'm neither of those things I'm not happy.

Also, (this isn't right) I model God after the other authorities in my life. Authorities have shown me that positive actions= positive results.
Usually, when i don't yield those results, I have done something wrong or the person doesn't like me.

Its hard to separate that same concept from God if thats a repetitive experience.

I just thought about this for like 30 mins and thats all I could come up with, at least in my life.

I think it's a good topic. Heather Lindsey posted a tweet saying something like, "Stop trying to arrive." That mentality that is always trying to get to the next plane can kinda trick us into thinking that that's where we'll really be happy, set, etc. But there's always another goal to reach.

I think contentment is found in focusing all of our energies on loving God and loving others. Whatever motivates us should come out of love.

You hit the nail on the head. In this world it is so easy to get caught up on the next "goal" or "achievement". I was thinking about this last week.

The ways of the world measure success by fame, riches, and worldly goods. But for Christians our true riches are in heaven with the Father.

We have to remember that we are in the world BUT not of it. So why should we long for worldly goods and recognition?

Contentment is realizing that in Jesus we are truly made hold so what else do we really need?

Yes God gives us blessings with his grace and mercy but he doesn't owe us anything. How many of us can actually say if God never did another thing for us we would be happy and content?

This is something I am striving for everyday. Not to let myself get disappointed when things dont go the way I think they should. Instead be grateful and happy with what I already have.

Its really REALLY hard to watch people who are obviously evil walk around with tons of money, nice things, not a care in the world. I know all have sinned but it is so hard to understand.
This year I have been really preoccupied with the 1% and the Federal Reserve and it seems like those people somehow got more of God's grace than me...
It makes no sense. It still makes no sense.
It makes sense that I am just as guilty of being a sinner as they are, but in my mind, I feel like I am trying, so why not me Lord? I feel like I could be a good steward of many things, so I'm like why doesn't he give me a chance?

But then in comparison, I have so much compared to those who have so little...

UGH its too hard I can't. :ohwell:

SummerSolstice - please don't be deceived.

I still struggle with that line of thinking, however I take comfort in knowing that God is in Control... Period, point blank.

Additionally, this is the enemy's domain down here... Pure and simple ~ I work in the most unbelievable work environment, you wouldn't believe anything I'd tell you.

However, I consider it a blessing and an honour to suffer, as I know that God will never ever bring me into a situation that He wont bring me through.

God Bless you...

There's a difference between peace about your state in life and willingness to strive to achieve something more or else. Yes, we should develop peace where we are at but honestly, who is going to be content with some state in life that is holding you down? You strive for more. Maybe it's fretting and complaining that we should forego.

There's a difference between peace about your state in life and willingness to strive to achieve something more or else. Yes, we should develop peace where we are at but honestly, who is going to be content with some state in life that is holding you down? You strive for more. Maybe it's fretting and complaining that we should forego.

Amen...

A situation can go from *meh* to worse in a matter of seconds, just by grumbling and complaining...

It never ceases to amaze me that when the Israelites were in the wilderness, that trip should have taken like a month or so... They wouldnt be grateful and it took 40 years...:spinning:

Back