Ponytails vs. Buns for growth

Luscious Locks

Any achieved growth while ponying as opposed to bunning? Which style works better for you as a protective style? Does anyone prefer ponytails over buns?

I ask this because I believe bunning may be hacking off the very ends of my hair. I tie my hair once and then loop my hair under so the ends are tucked. Where the tips hang in the loop I have found that there is significant damage there. I've been bunning my whole life and in the past two or three years it's gotten bad--I just realized now that it is probably my bunning. :sad: I want to switch to ponytails since the hair where the band is initially tied seems to be doing just fine.

syncerelyhis

I think that bunning is better because you ends are not hanging loose where they can be damaged by the sun/wind/clothes/etc. But personally I prefer ponytails (I dont feel as cute in buns). Maybe it could be the type of hair bands you use that break your hair. I like the Goody ouchless bands. Your hair is stronger where the band is initially tied, while your ends are more vulnerable. Try using the band for your ponytail only. Then use those very thin stretchy rubberbands (its not that bad, I do it every day) to make your bun. They are very stretchy and will hold your bun together with only two loop arounds....HTH

Christina Dior

hey are u doing the sock or foam bun i just started bunning but im watching for breakage like a hawk i soak my pony tail holders in caster oil.

soulie

If (rarely) I wear a ponytail, I wear it very high so that my ends aren't brushing against my clothes. I guess I'll have to revise this as my hair grows so I don't end up looking like I Dream of Jeannie with the ponytail on the very top of my head.

TrendySocialite

I wear a phony pony so I can baggy (which I'm doing today), so my ends are hidden and moisturized.

I like the idea of soaking hair elastics in castor oil...can't hurt.

I also think maybe bun during the day and wear a loose bun or ponytail (with ends tucked) at home.

The die-hard bunners suggest changing positions...I think even an inch or two could make a difference in the breakage you see.

RavenMaven

I wore a phony pony bunned it, and dipped my ends in EVOO. It worked beautifully. I also put heat protectant on the ends. I'm not sure why, but I thought it would do a little somethin somethin extra. I didn't see any negative effects.

Sounique

hey are u doing the sock or foam bun i just started bunning but im watching for breakage like a hawk i soak my pony tail holders in caster oil.

That's a great idea (soaking in castor oil). I will be trying it tomorrow. I prefer the ponytail. I can't make a cute bun to say my life. The sock technique just might do the trick... Going to youtube now to search for a tutorial.:grin:

Luscious Locks

I think that bunning is better because you ends are not hanging loose where they can be damaged by the sun/wind/clothes/etc. But personally I prefer ponytails (I dont feel as cute in buns). Maybe it could be the type of hair bands you use that break your hair. I like the Goody ouchless bands. Your hair is stronger where the band is initially tied, while your ends are more vulnerable. Try using the band for your ponytail only. Then use those very thin stretchy rubberbands (its not that bad, I do it every day) to make your bun. They are very stretchy and will hold your bun together with only two loop arounds....HTH

If you prefer a ponytail, you could always pin your ends up like I have in my sig photo.

Thanks. I just got a trim today and my length and thickness are where I need them to be to grow more length. I just have to get this retention thing down. I will try these tips and see.

hillytmj

I've pretty much wore my hair up in a clip until I reached BSL because my layers prevented me from bunning. I also found that true bunning made my ends dry, but I stopped doing it before I experienced breakage. Since BSL, I wear it in a ponytail most days and loop it around in a loose bun when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

I think the main things that have worked for me have been low mani, keeping the hair up and the ends moisturized, regardless of it's in a clip, bun or pony.

glamazon386

Technically a ponytail isn't totally a protective style. While your ends maybe up off your clothing (depending on how long your pony is) they're not tucked away from the elements. But it may be better for you OP, if you think the bun is damaging your ends.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've pretty much wore my hair up in a clip until I reached BSL because my layers prevented me from bunning. I also found that true bunning made my ends dry, but I stopped doing it before I experienced breakage. Since BSL, I wear it in a ponytail most days and loop it around in a loose bun when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

I think the main things that have worked for me have been low mani, keeping the hair up and the ends moisturized, regardless of it's in a clip, bun or pony.

Your method for retaining length for layered hair sounds good. Buns cause tension and dryness for my hair too. And I don't like how my buns look sometimes because of my layered hair.

lamaria211

I love bunning keeps my ends from being dry and breaking I always moisturize and seal my hair first and I also coat my ponytail holder in EVOCO