Please Help!!! I get breakage when I flatiron...

SpyCats

every three months. Here's the deal, my hair sheds normally (the bulb is visible) when I keep it in its natural state. However, when I flatiron it (every three months) I notice broken strands the whole time its straight. Weird I know. Please help!!! Why does this happen?

JustKiya

Sounds like heat damage - what sort of protectant are you using? How hot is the flat iron?

tada1

Generally speaking, using heat on your hair makes it dryer that it ordinarily would be if you didnt put any heat on it, so i would recommending doing a super deep conditioning before flat ironing, and also upping your moisture levels before, during, and after the time you wear your hair straight...

I hope this helps :)

SpyCats

Sounds like heat damage - what sort of protectant are you using? How hot is the flat iron?

I use the Maxiglide that is set between 5 and 7. As far as heat protectants, go I have "Got2b Crazysleek hot smooth flat iron & blow dry lotion" purchased from CVS. This can be utilized before blow drying/flat ironing the hair.

Thanks for responding.

Please keep 'em coming ladies.

SpyCats

Generally speaking, using heat on your hair makes it dryer that it ordinarily would be if you didnt put any heat on it, so i would recommending doing a super deep conditioning before flat ironing, and also upping your moisture levels before, during, and after the time you wear your hair straight...

I hope this helps :)

Thanks, great advice!

LayneJ

I use the Maxiglide that is set between 5 and 7. As far as heat protectants, go I have "Got2b Crazysleek hot smooth flat iron & blow dry lotion" purchased from CVS. This can be utilized before blow drying/flat ironing the hair.

Thanks for responding.

Please keep 'em coming ladies.

How many times do you go over each section of hair? The Maxi-glide gets pretty hot, so I use it on 1-2, but I'm not trying to go bone straight. Do you think you could achieve your desired results on a lower setting?

Also, is your hair fine? And do you blow-dry beforehand? My flat-ironed hair does fine, but I lose little strands of hair when I blow-dry; so I try to limit my blow-drying.

SpyCats

How many times do you go over each section of hair? The Maxi-glide gets pretty hot, so I use it on 1-2, but I'm not trying to go bone straight. Do you think you could achieve your desired results on a lower setting?

Also, is your hair fine? And do you blow-dry beforehand? My flat-ironed hair does fine, but I lose little strands of hair when I blow-dry; so I try to limit my blow-drying.

Next time I am going to eliminate the blow-drying all together. I think this is where my problem lies.

bravenewgirl87

I flat-iron and then blowdry. But I also use dominican deep conditioners and I'm on the deep conditioner challenge. I deep condition 3x a week for an hour. To me, it sounds like your hair is dry. Try deep conditioner with heat for a longer time. Then blowdry and flat iron.