ORS Mayo followed by ORS Replenishing Pak?

Loving

Hi ladies,

I am due for a touchup on the 13th (next week Saturday) and as such I would like to do a protein treatment this Saturday. Can I do a treatment with ORS Mayo (I have the one with wheat germ oil) followed by ORS Replenishing Pak (for conditioning)?

I have read on this site that a protein treatment should be followed by a moisturizing treatment. Hence the reason my thoughts that the mayo could be followed by the replenishing pak.

I am a newbie - I had a relaxer for the first time 7 weeks ago and as such I am trying to avoid a setback.

Thanks so much!

Loving

I read that ORS replenishing is a moisturizing conditioner so I am a bit confused. To be safe which moisturizing conditioner can I use to DC?

melissa-bee

I've tried both conditioners. The ORS mayo is more protein based but it is not that strong. When I was relaxed I could use it alone and be just fine.

eta: the replenishing conditioner is moisturising, the above poster has it wrong.

*Frisky*

I read that ORS replenishing is a moisturizing conditioner so I am a bit confused. To be safe which moisturizing conditioner can I use to DC?

It has Hydrolyzed Collagen which is a protein. I would only use one or the other.

Raspberry

Ok thanks. Which moisturizing DC would you recommend then?

Loving
Any of the Silk Elements DCs should be fine.

Have you considered trying to stretch your relaxer longer than 7 weeks? That seems a little early, impossible to avoid overlap without much new growth.

Your Cheeziness

Op, if your hair isn't breaking or does not have any damage, a protein treatment isn't totally necessary pre-relaxer. I used to do them, but found they were more beneficial for me post - relaxer. If you're getting it done at a salon, they'll likely end up giving you one post-relaxer. If that works for you, then I'd continue sticking with what works. This always works better for me.

Loving

@Loving
Any of the Silk Elements DCs should be fine.

Have you considered trying to stretch your relaxer longer than 7 weeks? That seems a little early, impossible to avoid overlap without much new growth.

I am actually stretching to 9 weeks. This is my first touch up ever. I have been a natural for 29 years so I was advised (by LHCF) to take it a week at a time. So for this touchup I am stretching to 9 weeks. For the next one, I am going to stretch to 10 weeks.

I also plan to use Mizani Honey Shield to protect my previously relaxed ends to minimize the overlap.

Raspberry

I am actually stretching to 9 weeks. This is my first touch up ever. I have been a natural for 29 years so I was advised (by LHCF) to take it a week at a time. So for this touchup I am stretching to 9 weeks. For the next one, I am going to stretch to 10 weeks.

I also plan to use Mizani Honey Shield to protect my previously relaxed ends to minimize the overlap.

Oh ok, I misread your first post :)

I'm gonna look up Mizani Honey Shield, I've never used any Mizani products but they're talked about a lot on this board.

Loving

Op, if your hair isn't breaking or does not have any damage, a protein treatment isn't totally necessary pre-relaxer. I used to do them, but found they were more beneficial for me post - relaxer. If you're getting it done at a salon, they'll likely end up giving you one post-relaxer. If that works for you, then I'd continue sticking with what works. This always works better for me.

Wow.. thanks a lot. I have not had any damage whatsoever - no breakage, one or 2 shed hairs when I comb my hair. Maybe I dont need the protein treatment after all!

NIN4eva

I totally agree with Your Cheeziness. You can really penetrate the strands if you use the protein conditioner after you rinse out the relaxer and before you neutralize. I like any of the Affirm conditioners or Nexxuss Emergencee. I may try ORS Replenishing Pak next time. When I use it normally if feels like I've used heavy protein, and it's not like I'm protein sensitive or anything. For moisture I like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Proclaim Argan Oil Mask.

bklynbornNbred

Loving I saw your other post but didn't respond because I don't always agree with what are given "LHCF" rules. However seeing this has made me log in and actually respond.

You don't need to relax every 8 weeks. Going to 9 weeks is NOT stretching.

What throws most people off with their relaxers is bad practices and not acknowleding that they were using them incorrectly. There is no rule that you need to relax every 8 weeks. What you should be looking at/for is how much new growth you have. As our growth patterns differ and based on the styles that you wear that may mean you relax at xx weeks during the summer but can easily go to xx during the winter. There are no hard and fast rules on this. Setting relaxing schedules by calendar is what stylist did in the past to keep money coming in. A stylist that is taking care of your individual hair will let you know if you really need that touch up. Based on what you wrote in another post I don't think you are at that point yet. As a newbie & more important as a self relaxer you have to make sure that (1) have enough new growth to do another process and not overlap and (2) use the correct strength (another peeve of mine people constantly using the wrong strength and then complaining about being underprocessed). Using a mild for 40 minutes is not the same as using a super for 15 if your hair needs super.

If you are able to detangle your hair and wear in the style you are choosing with no issues then you don't need to relax yet. Take it a week at a time - you'll know when you hit that point. Towards the end I'm not wearing wrapped styles its roller sets or braid outs to buns (if its not just braided under my wig).

I know on here pictures are king but I don't post pictures on line. I've been a self relaxer for years. I just did touch up in December and probably won't relax again until April because I stretch in the winters. At minimum I go 12 weeks although I could easily do it every 4 (based on new growth) but that would not be healthy at all. As a newbie you'll figure out what works for you just get to know your hair (or find a professional that knows what they are doing). All stylists are not scissor happy evil wenches. Its on YOU not to lose your voice when you sit in anyone's chair. I only stopped going to my stylist because of ridiculous day long waiting times (she is too dang popular but absolutely worth it). I'm only confident in what I do at home because I had a stylist that took care of my hair for years.

To answer your question on this post I've used both ORS conditioners you mentioned and IMO there is no need to use both. Just apply as a deep conditioner (I usually wrapping my head with a towel for at least an hour but if I don't have time sit under dryer for 10 minutes) and your hair should be good. I do this once a week. KISS is just that keeping it simple.

Once you decide you are ready for the touch up the week before just wash and deep condition as usual and the days before hand try not to manipulate your hair that much (scratching scalp).

Hope this helps!

Loving

Loving I saw your other post but didn't respond because I don't always agree with what are given "LHCF" rules. However seeing this has made me log in and actually respond.

You don't need to relax every 8 weeks. Going to 9 weeks is NOT stretching.

What throws most people off with their relaxers is bad practices and not acknowleding that they were using them incorrectly. There is no rule that you need to relax every 8 weeks. What you should be looking at/for is how much new growth you have. As our growth patterns differ and based on the styles that you wear that may mean you relax at xx weeks during the summer but can easily go to xx during the winter. There are no hard and fast rules on this. Setting relaxing schedules by calendar is what stylist did in the past to keep money coming in. A stylist that is taking care of your individual hair will let you know if you really need that touch up. Based on what you wrote in another post I don't think you are at that point yet. As a newbie & more important as a self relaxer you have to make sure that (1) have enough new growth to do another process and not overlap and (2) use the correct strength (another peeve of mine people constantly using the wrong strength and then complaining about being underprocessed). Using a mild for 40 minutes is not the same as using a super for 15 if your hair needs super.

If you are able to detangle your hair and wear in the style you are choosing with no issues then you don't need to relax yet. Take it a week at a time - you'll know when you hit that point. Towards the end I'm not wearing wrapped styles its roller sets or braid outs to buns (if its not just braided under my wig).

I know on here pictures are king but I don't post pictures on line. I've been a self relaxer for years. I just did touch up in December and probably won't relax again until April because I stretch in the winters. At minimum I go 12 weeks although I could easily do it every 4 (based on new growth) but that would not be healthy at all. As a newbie you'll figure out what works for you just get to know your hair (or find a professional that knows what they are doing). All stylists are not scissor happy evil wenches. Its on YOU not to lose your voice when you sit in anyone's chair. I only stopped going to my stylist because of ridiculous day long waiting times (she is too dang popular but absolutely worth it). I'm only confident in what I do at home because I had a stylist that took care of my hair for years.

To answer your question on this post I've used both ORS conditioners you mentioned and IMO there is no need to use both. Just apply as a deep conditioner (I usually wrapping my head with a towel for at least an hour but if I don't have time sit under dryer for 10 minutes) and your hair should be good. I do this once a week. KISS is just that keeping it simple.

Once you decide you are ready for the touch up the week before just wash and deep condition as usual and the days before hand try not to manipulate your hair that much (scratching scalp).

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!!! You have helped so much - more than you can imagine! I think I am getting overwhelmed here and I think I just need to listen to my hair. To be honest, I have a lot of new growth - more than I expected; so I am going to do as you suggested - listen to my hair and keep it simple! Thanks again!