One Hundred Years ago People washed their Hair once per Month

My Friend

Shampoo less, we dare you.About 90% of Americans shampoo daily. One hundred years ago, people only washed their hair monthly, and in the 1950s, it was customary for women to have their hair washed and set once a week at the salon.

A clean head of hair feels fresh and smells great but over-washing can turn one's healthy locks into a pile of straw. The average person's hair grows less than half an inch per month so long strands that have been subjected to a lot of shampooing (as well as chemical treatments, blow drying, and the elements), tend to get dried out and dull at the ends and even break off. Dirtier hair-gasp-also holds a style better.

How often you need to shampoo depends on how oily your scalp is and your hair's texture. Oil-known as sebum-travels more easily down smooth, straight hair, making it look greasier faster. Sounds a little gross, but sebum helps moisturize and waterproof the hair shaft. This is one reason why curly or coarse hair is drier. When you wash every day, you typically strip off this natural moisturizer and then have to slather it back on in the form of commercial conditioner

Joe Murray, owner of Hale Organic Salon in New York City, tells Yahoo! Shine that shampooing a couple of times a week is plenty. "If you can't stand a being a little oily, then coat your wet hair with conditioner up to the ears to protect it and then just wash the scalp." On gym days, try simply rinsing with water instead of shampooing and finish with a light conditioner to detangle. Another tip Murray offers is to "spot clean around the hairline with a little dry shampoo. It will also help stretch the time between blow outs."

Shampooing does stimulate the scalp, which brings blood flow and healthy nutrients to the hair follicles. As an alternative, Murray is a fan of a gentle daily scalp massage and regular brushing with a good quality hairbrush.

Shampooing does stimulate the scalp, which brings blood flow and healthy nutrients to the hair follicles. As an alternative, Murray is a fan of a gentle daily scalp massage and regular brushing with a good quality hairbrush.

Ogoma

This was the most useful part of this article to me. I will try to massage my scalp more often and longer when I water rinse. Attempting to massage oil into my scalp nightly has not been working for me.

cutiepiesensei

I think this is meant more for people of other races though lol. I do not know of many black women who wash every single day. It takes too long to do that every day lol

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I think this is meant more for people of other races though lol. I do not know of many black women who wash every single day. It takes too long to do that every day lol

thats exactly what I came in here to ask....."what race are they talking about?"

mscocoface

If I even tried to use SHAMPOO everyday I would be some serious trouble. No they are not talking about people with my type of hair.

kinkycurlygurl

I was washing daily for a few years when I wore wash 'n goes every day. Eventually, I learned to co-wash instead of using shampoo. Right now I'm doing a no product regime so I wash with water once a week.

I'd already decided to extend my washing period to every 3 weeks to give the hair more time to become coated with sebum. I like how my hair feels when It has sebum built up on it. It becomes more flexible and malleable and never feels dry.

My Friend

I was washing daily for a few years when I wore wash 'n goes every day. Eventually, I learned to co-wash instead of using shampoo. Right now I'm doing a no product regime so I wash with water once a week.

I'd already decided to extend my washing period to every 3 weeks to give the hair more time to become coated with sebum. I like how my hair feels when It has sebum built up on it. It becomes more flexible and malleable and never feels dry.

I know a lot of black people that wash their hair daily :yep: Thats why I decided to post the article.

I think all hair info should be shared on a hair board :yep: Not just what YOU think is important or what you consider "ethnic" hair practices.

A lot of people on this board thought we needed "ethnic" products for our hair prior to joining LHCF. I'm sure some also thought some of the things done to hair on LHC were for non black women.

NaturalPath

If I even tried to use SHAMPOO everyday I would be some serious trouble. No they are not talking about people with my type of hair.

I used to wash my hair just about every single day (well actually I still do unless I straighten it); though its mostly in the form of co-washing. I never noticed any ill effects from it :ohwell:

For me this is my form of low manipulation because it only takes me 2 seconds to detangle anyway and I just wash n go. I do oil my scalp since washing it frequently can make it dry.

Also, I noticed that once I started frequently washing my hair grew and retained length very well.

Last edited:

Julessy

How is the no product regimen going for you?

Tiye

I know a lot of black people that wash their hair daily :yep: Thats why I decided to post the article.

I think all hair info should be shared on a hair board :yep: Not just what YOU think is important or what you consider "ethnic" hair practices.

A lot of people on this board thought we needed "ethnic" products for our hair prior to joining LHCF. I'm sure some also thought some of the things done to hair on LHC were for non black women.

But do they do it over the long term? In the early 00s on hairboards for example lots of black women were shampooing daily just coz it was the bandwagon thing to do. Over time I think most got away from it coz it gets tiresome and many people find that it's drying. Today most articles about shampooing written for white women, including the one you just posted are advising people to cut back a bit. I agree with you that knowledge can come from anywhere, any race or country. I scope all over for hair tips and info. I use the ones that make sense for afro hair or modify them as needed.

greenandchic

But do they do it over the long term? In the early 00s on hairboards for example lots of black women were shampooing daily just coz it was the bandwagon thing to do. Over time I think most got away from it coz it gets tiresome and many people find that it's drying. Today most articles about shampooing written for white women, including the one you just posted are advising people to cut back a bit. I agree with you that knowledge can come from anywhere, any race or country. I scope all over for hair tips and info. I use the ones that make sense for afro hair or modify them as needed.

That brought back memories. I remember shampooing my hair daily in the early '00 per the advice on message boards;:spinning: after that was cowashing and shea butter...

alive

my hair doesn't take that long to do but i still wont want to wash it every day. that's precious time wasting away :lol:

HoneyDew

Still I would not compare hygiene habits that were standards 100 years ago to those that are customary today lol

dyh080

My brother in law washes his hair every day in the shower either with shampoo or soap. Although it looks dry, I was surprised at how soft it felt. His theory is that if you wash your body every day it should also include the head.

greenandchic

My brother in law washes his hair every day in the shower either with shampoo or soap. Although it looks dry, I was surprised at how soft it felt. His theory is that if you wash your body every day it should also include the head.

I know many men feel that way, but most of them don't have long hair to condition, detangle, style etc. Men, especially straight haired men with shorter hair do look better washing it daily. Any less than that usually means looking like a grease ball (not referring to Italian men).

30something

Interesting but the average life expectancy 100 years ago was also about 50 years I don't know if I want to take much hygiene advice from over 100 years ago..lol I personally love my shampooing once a week. I wonder how often they showered/bathe.

SimJam

LOL I think they also bathed once a year too.

I remember reading an article that said that everyone used the same tub of water Father bathed first them mother then down the line in order of age. Thats how the saying "dont throw the baby out with the bath water" came about ..... yukkkk

JJamiah

^^^ Poor baby, had to wash in the mucky water. ewwwwwww. That is why most weddings were in June. Because they would take their annual bathes in June - So I've heard :perplexed.

I won't even ask what I really want to know!!!!

DirtyJerzeyGirly

LOL I think they also bathed once a year too.

I remember reading an article that said that everyone used the same tub of water Father bathed first them mother then down the line in order of age. Thats how the saying "dont throw the baby out with the bath water" came about ..... yukkkk

^^^ Poor baby, had to wash in the mucky water. ewwwwwww. That is why most weddings were in June. Because they would take their annual bathes in June - So I've heard :perplexed.

I won't even ask what I really want to know!!!!

i heard these two as well.:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed