No More Stretching for Me

KhandiB

I stretched 12 weeks my hair was shedding so bad that I would break down crying... Im sure some of it had to do with the way I was handling of my hair..

but

since I have relaxed, I washed my hair yesterday and there was only like 5 strands in the drain... even when I combed my hair after air drying there was only like 10 hairs per quarter section of my hair in the comb...

When I stretch, I shed and break badly, so I wont do it again...

Any other women have adverse effects when stretching?

kbody4

The longest I've stretch is 12 weeks, and I had a lot of breakage that I cared to see. I'm going to try it again because I am using more moisture based shampoos and conditioners, plus my UBH Creme that keeps my hair really soft and tangle free. I'm currently 8 weeks post so far so good with a 1/2 inch of new growth.

Yea stretching isn't for everyone. At first I thought you were going to say "I'm going natural!" lol. But yea, I've seen stretching do more harm than good. Right now I'm stretching for 15 weeks and then I'm going to stretch for 16 weeks since my hair kinda slows down in the winter. After that however, I'm going to stretch from 10-12 weeks. I might also have to do 8 weeks for summer growth spurts. But stretching isn't worth the shedding.

KhandiB

Yeah 8 weeks will be my limit :lol:

redRiot said:
Yea stretching isn't for everyone. At first I thought you were going to say "I'm going natural!" lol. But yea, I've seen stretching do more harm than good. Right now I'm stretching for 15 weeks and then I'm going to stretch for 16 weeks since my hair kinda slows down in the winter. After that however, I'm going to stretch from 10-12 weeks. I might also have to do 8 weeks for summer growth spurts. But stretching isn't worth the shedding.

PinkPeony

Well stretching is no problem for me,I can go 17 weeks without extra breakage or shedding.
However I think I won´t stretch 12+ weeks anymore after I reach bsl.
Congrats to your deciscion tough,it´s great that you are able to identify what does and what does not work for your hair:up:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I sorta feel the same way about stretching. My newgrowth in the back of my head can be such a pain to deal with; I still give it love and care though, because it's STILL my hair. I'm stretching for 12 weeks, but I may add on an extra week so that I can have a fresh relaxer before school starts Aug. 28th. I'm gonna stick to stretching 8weeks/2months or maybe even 10 weeks. As my hair gets longer and longer, I think I might be able to stretch longer since I'll be able to quickly whisp my hair into a bun (without the use of a sock, which leaves my ends scraggly lookin when using a hairtie). Anyway, I'm about ready for my stretch to be over, 2 more weeks till August 15th!!!

KhandiB

thanks ella - This is my second attempt and its too stressing for ya girl :lol:

Good Going TSU !!!

Shashemane

I tried to go ten weeks and just couldn't do it. I broke down yesterday and gave myself a touch up. My strands are just too fine to stretch without breakage. I used to be able to pull it off for 12 weeks, but 8 weeks is my limit now!

I too saw less strands than I did in the last week of my stretch.

I experience the same thing when attempting to stretch past 8 weeks and end up prematurely relaxing after joining stretch challenges. Eight weeks plus, after air drying my hair, I can just gently pull 5-7 hairs out at any given point and time.

Currently I am trying to stretch till Halloween - I joined the challenge - we will see.

I completely understand that stretching is not for everyone. It does help when ladies like macherieamour with beautiful heads of hair support the 8 week minimum. Its proof that you CAN have healthy hair by relaxing every eight weeks.

Good for you for sticking to your guns! I wonder why our hair tends to stretch more than usual the longer we wait to relax. Because, just like you, I notice that right after a relaxer, the excessive shedding is practically non existant. Hmm..

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies, I am a first time stretcher. In the past I received a touch-up every 6 weeks. If I didn't, it was because I was broke!!! LOL!!! When I told one of my stylists (don't ask) that I was going to attempt to go natural, that was the first thing that she said; that my hair would shed really bad. She said that if it does, I should just get the relaxer back in. At first I blew her off, thinking she was just trying to keep me getting relaxers, until I read this post.

Why is it that the hair sheds more?? I mean, there are some ladies that do it very successfully. I have read a couple of posts that said not to manipulate the hair very often after 8 weeks (especially the new growth). So, do you ladies wear your hair down?? Do you manipulate it daily?? I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do to prevent the shedding. Being that it's my first time, I don't really have a goal (as far as length of time) for stretching. I'm just trying to see how long I can go at first.

msprettyeyes

I can only make it 8 weeks. This last time I tried to do 10 but I'm so tenderheaded it's not funny. I'm not going past 8 weeks!!

gymfreak336

I can't do it either. 8 weeks and I am done. My new growth is just too much to deal with. I really don't get much breakage on a daily basis. Mostly just long strands from shedding but after I have alot of newgrowth, I start to get breakage and my bathroom floor and sink gets covered with little hairs. I rather relax every 8 and just kick up protein treatments from time to time.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Well I changed my regemin earlier this year and I'm touching up at a minimum of 10 weeks and a max of 12 weeks. That's what works best for my hair.

Khandi I say do what you gotta.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Wow, U stretcha's are sure serious!:eek: :lol: When I was relaxed I stretched to 4 weeks tops! How the hell do u guys do it?

lexi08

Eight weeks is the limit for me also. I have tryed stretching in the past for 10-12 weeks and my hair stays in better condition when I relax at eight weeks.

HoneyDew

I don't stretch. I just can't.

I end up getting way more shedding and also I manipulate it more when trying to style.

Denim And Leather

Ms_Twana said:
Why is it that the hair sheds more?? I mean, there are some ladies that do it very successfully. I have read a couple of posts that said not to manipulate the hair very often after 8 weeks (especially the new growth). So, do you ladies wear your hair down?? Do you manipulate it daily?? I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do to prevent the shedding. Being that it's my first time, I don't really have a goal (as far as length of time) for stretching. I'm just trying to see how long I can go at first.

I believe it's because of the new growth, Ms. Twana. As your hair grows out, the curl and kinks makes your hair drier, and as we know, curly/kinky hair has a harder time staying moisturized. Less moisture= more breakage, unless you keep it moisturized daily. Plus, if you're combing your hair, it's harder to get the comb to glide through your head because you have two different textures going on, so this is another reason for breakage.

For me, I'm in the midst of a long stretch, and I finger comb my hair to prevent as much breakage as possible, which has been very helpful, you should try that. I only comb my hair while I wash it, while in the shower, and with a detangler comb. I wear protective buns, or pull it back with a clamp (a soft tooth one).

If I may suggest, maybe you should go two-three weeks past your normal relaxing time (6 weeks), and each time, add a little bit longer. Of course, if you think you can go longer, I would do that.

HTH! :)

asubeauty

Most of the time, when I'm stretching, it's an accident. Like I don't have the $$ to get a touch up, or I'm in a situation like I'm in now... I'm in India, so you KNOW I'm not getting a touch up!!! It is nine weeks, so I figured I could stick it out, but it's getting rough!!

If I had a choice, though, I wouldn't stretch. It takes a lot more manipulation to style my hair, and the only style that I can do is a bun. I'm noticing breakage all over the place, and I can't stop it no matter how much moisturizing, not combing, or praying I do. And I'm losing so much hair!! I only comb with a head full of conditioner under running water with a very large tooth detangler comb, and I still notice a bunch of hair in the comb, on the shower floor, and in the drain.

And on top of that, I'm shedding like crazy!

So even though I sometimes have to, I don't think stretching is for me, either. When I was in HS, my hair was almost BSL and I relaxed every 5 weeks!! I wouldn't do that now, but...:look:

I feel ya, KhandiB. I need a touch up more than I need air and water right now...

Ladylynn

I thought I was the only one to experience shedding when stretching. When I get to about 8-9 weeks, my hair sheds like crazy. I'm trying to understand why the hair sheds more the longer it goes without a relaxer as well. I understand why the hair breaks when stretching, but not shedding. Oh well, I'll stick to my 8-9 weeks as well.

KiniKakes

KhandiB said:
I stretched 12 weeks my hair was shedding so bad that I would break down crying... Im sure some of it had to do with the way I was handling of my hair..

but

since I have relaxed, I washed my hair yesterday and there was only like 5 strands in the drain... even when I combed my hair after air drying there was only like 10 hairs per quarter section of my hair in the comb...

When I stretch, I shed and break badly, so I wont do it again...

Any other women have adverse effects when stretching?

I only stretched once, and my hair was braided for most of that time.... so Im not sure if I would have had any additional shedding/breakage while out.

OT: Khandi, your son is just soooo cute!!! I love that picture of you all!