No more braidouts for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(vent)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have tried braidouts for the 2nd time and it's just not working for me. I had it in a cute way today but I have too much breakage with braidouts. Since Im trying to grow out a layered cut, I have a weird shape braidout. Im not going to try braidouts until my hair is down my back.

If you try to comb a braidout or manipulate it too much when you take the braids out you may get some. It's also not a protective style so to speak. Protective styles take your ends up and out of the air completely. Braid outs are like pseudo- protective because you get to manipulate (comb, brush, style) the hair less over the course of the days you are wearing it.

HTH

It doesnt look right if I dont comb it. But I comb my hair section by section. I experienced breakage when I was braiding it wet. I experienced a little breakage when combing it after unraveling the braids. Plus, I don't like how my hair looks dry, frizzy, and short by the end of the day.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
It doesnt look right if I dont comb it. But I comb my hair section by section. I experienced breakage when I was braiding it wet. I experienced a little breakage when combing it after unraveling the braids. Plus, I don't like how my hair looks dry, frizzy, and short by the end of the day.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Braidouts arent meant to be combed. It will get more frizzy as you comb it. Have you tried styling it more with your fingers? When I was relaxed I noticed that my hair came out better if I air dryed it to semi damp and then braided it..Mines never came out looking right on soaking wet hair
ohwell.gif

I've never done my braiouts on wet hair yet, only on airdried hair to retain length. And I've learned not to comb it at all, just use my fingers to gently separate just a few of the waves. In this way, I haven't experienced any breakage.
Ayeshia - we both posted similar info exactly at the same time!

OH and BTW i think your hair is more prone to breakage when you comb a braidout because the hair is crinkly and the hair get caught in the comb.

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:

Braidouts arent meant to be combed. It will get more frizzy as you comb it. Have you tried styling it more with your fingers? When I was relaxed I noticed that my hair came out better if I air dryed it to semi damp and then braided it..Mines never came out looking right on soaking wet hair
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive tried finger styling and it still doesnt look good. I didnt braid on soaking wet hair. My hair dries quickly anyway because my hair is fine/thin and its been color treated. Before I did the braidout, I put leave-in conditioner, glossing polish, and oils on the ends of my hair. When I use a wide tooth comb when I combed out the braidout. It would look ok for minute but then it would start looking very bushy in the crown. I just styled it half-up and half-down.
After I exercised tonight, I washed my braidout OUT and blowdried my hair. I dont experience breakage with blowdrying. Im wearing rollers on the ends of my hair right now to sleep in.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Combing is bad. Don't comb. If you don't like the way it looks without combing I think you should try another style. If you're getting breakage during the braiding phase, let it dry a little more so you're braiding damp. Your hair may not be strong eoungh to braid soaking wet. Add some protein conditioners to your regime. Do a search on protein - there's lots of info on the board.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Combing is bad. Don't comb. If you don't like the way it looks without combing I think you should try another style. If you're getting breakage during the braiding phase, let it dry a little more so you're braiding damp. Your hair may not be strong eoungh to braid soaking wet. Add some protein conditioners to your regime. Do a search on protein - there's lots of info on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...Ive never done a protein treatment in my life. Also my hair is thin so maybe thats why its not good with braiding when wet. Im thinking about getting AubreyOrgranics GPB when I get some money
wink.gif

Poohbear:

Braid outs are great styles when you don't want to comb daily. I find that my braid outs work best when my hair is semi dry but I do braid outs on my dry hair too.

I get my spray bottle, fill it with distilled water and evoo and spray my hair (or the section I'm about to braid)and then braid. This way it can dry quiker.

I wouldn't recommend you comb your braid outs. Try using the Neutragena Triple Moisture Shine serum before you braid. It may help fight the frizzies. Your hair will get frizzy or poofy if your braids are not completely dry before you take them out.

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
Poohbear:

Braid outs are great styles when you don't want to comb daily. I find that my braid outs work best when my hair is semi dry but I do braid outs on my dry hair too.

I get my spray bottle, fill it with distilled water and evoo and spray my hair (or the section I'm about to braid)and then braid. This way it can dry quiker.

I wouldn't recommend you comb your braid outs. Try using the Neutragena Triple Moisture Shine serum before you braid. It may help fight the frizzies. Your hair will get frizzy or poofy if your braids are not completely dry before you take them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive used everything to keep it from frizzing! I had posted in this thread that before I did the braidout, I put my leave-in conditioner, glossing polish (which is like a serum), my mixture of oils on my ends, and I braided my hair when it WASN'T soaking wet; it was about 50% dry. I unbraided when they were dry. When I unbraided, my nape hair wasn't all the way dry but it WASN'T frizzy like the rest of my hair which was unbraided completely dry. I thinking combing my hair made it look frizzy but it doesn't LOOK RIGHT if I don't comb! Yes, I tried styling with my fingers, still doesnt look right. So I just think braidouts arent for me right now since Im trying to grow out uneven layers in my hair.
ohwell.gif

[. Im thinking about getting AubreyOrgranics GPB when I get some money
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear, go to the Vitamin Shoppe and get the Aubrey GPB in the smallest size. WHen I was just lurking on this board and everyone was raving about it, I went there and got the smallest size and it was $3 or so. I had to test it before I really spent some money on it, and I swear I used that small size about 5x's!
shocked.gif
But especially if you say your hair is thin or fine, definitely try this because it is a light protein.
wink.gif

I have what I believe to be a grea braidout in my album, I never try t cpmbg it, because that is where the breakage comes into play.

Are you guys suggesting that you shouldnt take the braids out if its still wet? I ask this as I plan to air dry in braids with shea butter and take it out after about a week, it should settle ok shouldnt it?

THat's very interesting because I get damage from braid outs too!! (Thought it was just me w/ my hurr)

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
If you try to comb a braidout or manipulate it too much when you take the braids out you may get some. It's also not a protective style so to speak. Protective styles take your ends up and out of the air completely. Braid outs are like pseudo- protective because you get to manipulate (comb, brush, style) the hair less over the course of the days you are wearing it.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Are you guys suggesting that you shouldnt take the braids out if its still wet? I ask this as I plan to air dry in braids with shea butter and take it out after about a week, it should settle ok shouldnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I never braided my hair soaking wet. I would let it airdry for an hour or so...and then when it was on the verge of becoming poofy/damp I begain to braid. it...I put my products (infusium 23, or motions leave in) on the hair after it was braided. But I dont know if this method works for everyone. My braidouts never came out right if I put all my products on before braiding. I only used a small amount of grease before braiding.

It never fails for me, if I take my braids out while they are still damp its FRIZZ city for me. This is why I don't make braids until my hair is semi dry. Sometimes the roots may be a little damp that is never a problem. Same thing when I make bantu knots.

My hair is thick and seems to hold water so I wash in the evening after dinner and a hour or so later I am dry enough to braid. When I wake up in the morning I unbraid, moisturize and go.

Poohbear, I have long layers too. I find that if I make zig zag parts from hairline to nape when I take the braids out they fall better (no spaces or gaps in between). Just a suggestion.

Hey Everyone!
clap.gif

Last night, my mom put 6 cornrows in my dry hair. No other products were put in my hair but I also sprayed Surge on my scalp. This morning I unraveled them and my braidout turned out great! I guess if I want to do a braidout, I need to cornrow my hair first instead of doing individual braids that don't get all my hair secure in a braid! I wish I had a pic to show u guys.

Back