Newbie (needs help with stretching a relaxer)

destiny5786

Hi, I'm new to the forum and i'm very interested in stretching my relaxer. The last relaxer that I got was in the first week of July '08 and my hair has been breaking like crazy. Also, my hair is pretty damaged especially in the back. I really just want to give my hair some room to breath and get healthier. I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on

Styles that you use while stretching
Your hair regimine while stretching
Whether or not extensions (braids) are a good option
Specific products that I should go and pick up
And anything else you have found helpful through personal experience

feelfree

First of all, welcome!

I am a serial stretcher, currently on month 5 of a 6-7 month stretch. Here are my stretching essentials.

• My Jibere Shower Comb (although i have never used it in the shower)
  • Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (great for co-washing, the shampoo is good to)
  • Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-In Conditioner (i apply to roots before combing out after my washes)
  • homemade moisturizing spritz (glycerin, aloe vera juice, distilled water, EOs etc.)
  • Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask
I co-wash midweek and shampoo wash on the weekend, moisturize daily, and do protein treatments if i notice my hair becoming too stretchy or beginning to break. I wear my hair up 99% of the time, braided or twisted and pinned up. I only use a comb on my hair on wash days. Considering braids for next month to end the stretch, as i have always found them to be helpful to me.

I have had a wonderful stretch this time around thanks to the product reviews here on LHCF. Hope you find what works for you!

*KP*

Protein is even more important during a stretch. The line of demarcation (where the new growth meets relaxed hair) is the weakest part and needs to be kept strong with regular protein treatments.

When I have stretched in the past, the thing that helped me most was using Aphogee 2 min reconstructor weekly. It is a mild protein so can be used regularly. Moisture is always important be sure to DC with a moisturising conditioner weekly too.

skipper

wash in sections!!! divide your hair into 3 or 4 sections and wash and condition them each separately.

putting away direct heating tools and protecting my ends ceased my breakage immediately so i recommend those things as well