Newbie Here -- Trying to keep away from the scissors!

zazzi

Hi Ladies!

I've been lurking on the board for almost a year, and just signed up within the last couple weeks. I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural, and my last touch-up was in January. I love feeling my curls/coils, and I can't keep my hands out of my hair. :grin: I think I'm ready to do the big chop TONIGHT, but I don't want to be hasty and end up regretting it! Some words of encouragement/discouragement :yep:/:nono: would be greatly appreciated right about now! :spinning:

Thanks!

msa

:welcome4:

Keep your eyes on the prize and don't BC until you have enough hair to be comfortable.

Bettina

Hi Zazzi! Welcome!!!
Like the ladies said please wait until you are comfortable with the amount of Newgrowth to BC. :) You will be amazed what styles you can do while transitioning. HHG!

SEMO

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Congrats on your transition. To be sure you won't regret your bc, are there any length goals you were trying to reach first? Have you reached them?

I personally wanted enough hair to make a ponytail before I cut my relaxed ends off (so I would have wearing a ponytail to fall back on--and I'm glad I waited).

Good luck with whatever you decide. And if you do cut it, come back with pictures. :grin:

Giggletush

I too am transitioning from relaxed to natural, and also haven't relaxed since Jan. I personally am waiting until it grows to a length that I'm comfortable with before I BC. I am extremely tempted to do it right now....but I know I'll probably regret it, so I'll wait.

I advise you to think seriously about it before you make any hasty decision (like the ladies have also advised). But if you think you'll be comfortable with it, then I say go for it. :)

zazzi

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Congrats on your transition. To be sure you won't regret your bc, are there any length goals you were trying to reach first? Have you reached them?

I personally wanted enough hair to make a ponytail before I cut my relaxed ends off (so I would have wearing a ponytail to fall back on--and I'm glad I waited).

Good luck with whatever you decide. And if you do cut it, come back with pictures. :grin:

Thank you!

There aren't really any length goals I'm trying to reach. My hair was BSL before I started my transition, and a few months ago I chopped a couple inches off. My ends were all split and bushy, and I figured, "if I'm not keeping the relaxer anyway, why bother pay a bunch of money at the salon to have it cut?" :) However, as far as goals are concerned, I am trying to lose some weight before I cut the rest off, because I think my face is too fat. I'm not quite sure how much sense that makes though, seeing as I'm always wearing it pulled back. :perplexed

Anyway, I have never ever ever had short hair -- the shortest came from a scissor-happy stylist that "trimmed my ends" to just above shoulder length. I couldn't see myself with a really low cut, which is why I've been transitioning. I have about 4-4.5" of new growth now.

How long did it take for your hair to be able fit into a ponytail?

zazzi

I appreciate everyone's responses! To quench my thirst, so to speak, I cut off a little at the nape last night. LOL! I'm still debating -- weighing the pros and cons of cutting it off.

Re: transitioning styles, I've tried braid-outs, bantu knot-outs, twist-outs, and nothing seems to come out right. MummysGirl, if I could get my braid-out to look like yours, I would happily keep this up. Did I see someplace that you cornrow your hair backwards and put rollers on each braid? If so, do you do that on wet or dry hair? I normally do everything on wet hair (I really don't do anything with my hair when it's dry), but it might be that it's not drying long enough.

I will keep you guys posted!

SEMO

Thank you!

There aren't really any length goals I'm trying to reach. My hair was BSL before I started my transition, and a few months ago I chopped a couple inches off. My ends were all split and bushy, and I figured, "if I'm not keeping the relaxer anyway, why bother pay a bunch of money at the salon to have it cut?" :) However, as far as goals are concerned, I am trying to lose some weight before I cut the rest off, because I think my face is too fat. I'm not quite sure how much sense that makes though, seeing as I'm always wearing it pulled back. :perplexed

Anyway, I have never ever ever had short hair -- the shortest came from a scissor-happy stylist that "trimmed my ends" to just above shoulder length. I couldn't see myself with a really low cut, which is why I've been transitioning. I have about 4-4.5" of new growth now.

How long did it take for your hair to be able fit into a ponytail?

I transitioned about 1.5 years, and when I did my big chop (which was a bit sooner than I really wanted to) I could pull 85% of my hair into a ponytail. I used bobby pins on the part that couldn't reach the ponytail and everything was fine.

MummysGirl

Thank you :) Sorry for the late response.

I cowash, and leave hair down to air dry till 80% dry BUT lately I've been doing the cornrows/twists on damp hair because at this point in my transition, it works better for me. I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol to each section before braiding/twisting (rollers on the ends or bantu knots):

HTH!

I appreciate everyone's responses! To quench my thirst, so to speak, I cut off a little at the nape last night. LOL! I'm still debating -- weighing the pros and cons of cutting it off.

Re: transitioning styles, I've tried braid-outs, bantu knot-outs, twist-outs, and nothing seems to come out right. MummysGirl, if I could get my braid-out to look like yours, I would happily keep this up. Did I see someplace that you cornrow your hair backwards and put rollers on each braid? If so, do you do that on wet or dry hair? I normally do everything on wet hair (I really don't do anything with my hair when it's dry), but it might be that it's not drying long enough.

I will keep you guys posted!