New? kind of Relaxer - Wash & Wear Relaxer

cheveux

Are any of you familiar with the Wash & Wear Relaxer? I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any threads. Please take a look at Jazma Wash & Wear Relaxer .

They seem to base it on the Kerasoft product line. The process seems to give you the option of wearing your hair with a "natural look" with little effort or straighter if you roller set (or blow dry, which I'd stay away from). The concept is intriguing but I'm too chicken to be a guinea pig. The Q & A also says that you can "go straighter" if you should ever decide you've had enough. Hmmmm

Please let me know what you think or lead me to another thread where this might have already been discussed. Thanks.

adrienne0914

it also seems to be a texturizer to me too. i think it's a marketing ploy to enable them to charge more money for something that can be achieved with a traditional relaxer.

i can't think of anyone that has had this done though.

adrienne

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
cheveux said:
Thanks for the response. Have you heard of anyone on the forum getting one?

Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of anyone who has had one, but I recall people discussing it on another hair forum about 3 years ago.

sbg4evr

I had the Kerasoft wash n wear relaxer. Yes, it is very expensive. Yes, it is worth it if you have the cash. I and everyone else that I knew that had it had tremendous hair growth within a year. My hair now is growing like a snail compared to when I had the relaxer, I achieved about 9 inches in one year. I stopped the wash n wear for 2 reasons, first it was expensive, second my hair was shedding I don't know if it was from the relaxer or from stress and at that point in my life I was very stressed. I just decided to stop the shedding and cut my hair.

Here are the basics for maintenance. Wash hair, gently squeeze water out of hair with towel. Spray hair with Quench, apply Revival, the apply Actisilk.

Instead of Quench, you can replace with Daily Doctor or Care Free Curl Gold spray. Instead of Revival use Care Free Curl Gold Activator. Instead of Actisilk use Elasta QP Feels Like Silk.

Hair grows fastest when kept in a bun. I wore high buns and wrapped it with weave hair. You can cover a bun with a clip on ponytail or use a scrunchie. My hair was damp most of the time. Depending on the thickness of your hair, you need a lot of products to keep it calm.

My hair got to the point where it was bra-strap length and looked liked I blowdried my natural hair. One plus was that my extremely coarse and thick hair was combable. Right now I can not dream of pulling a wide tooth comb through my hair.

sbg4evr

I forgot to add, this type of relaxer is done on freshly washed hair. My hairdresser would wash my hair sit me under a dryer, then apply relaxer to my hair. My hair was relaxed in sections. First the back then the front. The heat from the hair dryer at the dresser was the only heat my hair got between relaxers and I got it done every 12 weeks.

Yes your hair can be blown dry straight to get a traditional straight relaxed look. I hated it like that. I had gotten my hair blown dry twice and I liked it for about a day.

cheveux

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about the shedding. I just went through a bit of that. I think it's stress in my case. Thanks for sharing your experience.

1. Did the salon try to help you with the shedding - did they have a good explanation?
2. Did you continue to shed after you stopped and cut your hair?
3. Did the products keep your hair oily like the old jeri curls?
4. Did you ever roller set?
5. Why didn't you like it straight?
6. Is this only done in Canada?
7. Did you have a relaxer before doing it or were you natural?
8. How many times did you have it done?
9. Could you maintain it on your own or did you have to rely on the salon between applications?
10. Their site says a regular relaxer can be applied afterwards if you get tired of it. Did you just want to go natural?
11. Where did you have it done and would you recommend the salon?
12. Would you have it done again?
13. Was it like a texturizer?
14. Were you a slave to the maintenance products?
15. You mentioned "others" having it done - is anyone you know still getting one? Are they shedding?
16. Okay I'm sitting down now - how much was it?

Sorry so many questions. Thanks so much for your insight!

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
adrienne0914 said:
it also seems to be a texturizer to me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O !

sbg4evr

1. I was going through a difficult time, I had no time to sit and wait in a hairdresser salon, I had no funds, my hair was no a priority at that time

2. After I cut I stopped shedding

3. Hair was never oily, it was soft. It was damp when it was in my bun

4. No rollers for me, thank you

5. I hate straight hair on myself. I find it looks blah on me.

6. It is done in Canada and the US. I know there are some trained stylists in Altanta and DC. Call or email Asha with contact info on the site.

7. I was natural.

8. about 5 maybe 6 times

9. Maintain on my own. No need for salon visits.

10. You can apply a regular relaxer to new growth only. I wanted to go back natural. I came to this conclusion before the texturizer that my hair was allergic to chemical straightners. And I believe my experiment proved that I am right. Some people beat theirselves up to have a relaxer and never figure out why their hair always look bad whatever they do. They need to understand that relaxers are not for everyone. I tried chemical relaxers 3 times in my life and each time have been unsuccessful. I am very diligent in my haircare.

11. In my hometown Montreal. If I would do it again, I would go to the actual Jazma salon in Toronto to get it down.

12. Due to my hair allergy no. But then again refer to answer to Q11

13. In reality it is a texturizer. Technically it is done differently. It is not a relaxer that kept on for just 5 minutes, it is kept on for about the same amount of time as a regular relaxer. A great plus is it does not burn.

14. Without maintenance products, hair is dry and dull.

15. No shedding. I also suspect that it could have been the application of the product by one of the assistants. I have a feeling she could not tell which part of my hair had relaxer from my new growth. But that is all water under the bridge now. I moved on.

16. In CDN$75 for the relaxer. That is probably about $35USD. But remember a lot of prices in Canada and US for services are the same despite the difference in $. It is the products where the difference in price comes in play. For instance in NYC it costs me $2 USD for Elasta QP Feels Like Silk and in MTL it costs about $8 CDN.

I was doing an experiment when I got this relaxer. I wanted to see if my theory was right that my hair did not like chemical straightners. Despite my due diligence, my hair said stop. I listened to my hair. Being natural is a chore but everyone has their burden to bare. This is the first time being natural when I have not put in extensions or blowdried my hair and pressed the edges. I am intrigued by the difference in texture on my head. My hair is coarse and what some call nappy on the outside but wavy on the inside.

cheveux

WOW!!!

Sbg4evr, thank you so much for the feedback. All of you on this forum amaze me with your responsiveness and support. I'm in the suburbs of MA and there are only a handful of folks sportin' Type 4 hair where I live. Needless to say, the ability to chat about my hair and get beneficial feedback is virtually non-existent. I've become a PJ out of desperation - when an ethnic product shows up on our nearest Sally's shelf, I buy it all, fearful that they'll stop carrying it (they carry so little as it is). I'm only a few days old on this forum but it has become my lifeline.

Thanks again, Sbg4evr, CurlyCrly, Adrienne914, Allandra.

sylviaetc

cheveux, welcome home girl! ppeople like myself who live in i guess you would say "big cities" that offer lots of variety in the way of hair products etc, don't realize how hard it is to get stuff in smaller areas of the US... i coldn' imagine not being able to find products att the local pharmacy; *L* thank god for the internet!

sspc

I tried it for a year. it's basically a relaxer, the products are messy and don't work that well. you have to wet your hair everyday

cheveux said:
Are any of you familiar with the Wash &amp; Wear Relaxer? I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any threads. Please take a look at Jazma Wash &amp; Wear Relaxer .

They seem to base it on the Kerasoft product line. The process seems to give you the option of wearing your hair with a "natural look" with little effort or straighter if you roller set (or blow dry, which I'd stay away from). The concept is intriguing but I'm too chicken to be a guinea pig. The Q &amp; A also says that you can "go straighter" if you should ever decide you've had enough. Hmmmm

Please let me know what you think or lead me to another thread where this might have already been discussed. Thanks.

Healthb4Length

I currently have the jazma relaxer and yes, it's basically a texturizer. It has worked out well for me so fat and the products are combatible with my hair.

Hair2day

Are you ever able to go back to a regular relaxer after the wash n go service. Or do you have to cut the wash n go hair off as if you applied a thio perm/jerry curl?

L

LaNecia

Hair2day said:
Are you ever able to go back to a regular relaxer after the wash n go service. Or do you have to cut the wash n go hair off as if you applied a thio perm/jerry curl?

Hi :wave: I watched the Jazma Wash & Wear Video last night and it is a 'regular' relaxer. They have two forumlations that they use, a mild and regular. It's not a thio base relaxer at all, so if you wanted to go straighter...I think it would be a matter doing a type of corrective relaxer to take the hair to a straighter state (but don't quote me on that part, that's purely my opinion based on what I've read, not by experience or formal instruction). :look:

Mashavu

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for quite a while, but just decided to purchase a membership.

I just wanted to add my $.02 about this topic.

I don't use the Wash & Wear Relaxer but I have been using the Kerasoft products to maintain the Wash 'n Go look for the past year and a half and it works just fine (BETTER than fine, actually) with my Design relaxed hair. My hair dresser relaxes my hair pretty straight and I still end up with wonderful and soft semi-natural curls.

Honestly, it was the best thing I could have done for my terribly distressed hair. My hair is so healthy now. I think it's because it keeps the heat off of my hair and has enabled me to stretch the time between my relaxers to 4 months. Not to mention how easy it is to be able to wash 'n go. Works great for my workouts too....I can sweat and rinse!

Typically, I head to the salone every 3 weeks or so. I wear my hair straight for one week and then wash n' go for two. Usually (except for special occasions), the only heat that is applied is by my hair dresser.

My hair has gone from (seemingly) hoplessly damaged shoulder length hair to bra strap length in about a year. It would have been faster except I'd get impatient and have my hair dresser cut off almost an inch on occasion. But the length is not what is most impressive...it's the health of my hair! NO split ends! My hair is constantly moisturized. I also add Nexxus Botanic Oil daily to my wash n' go hair. I do CO washes almost every morning when I wash n' go.

In short, you don't need their expensive relaxer. If, when you hair is wet, it retains SOME type of wave...you can use the Kerasoft products and achieve the wash 'n go look. I imagine it's the same if you choose to texturize your hair.

The products last forever once you get the hang of it and figure out what amounts are right for your hair (usually la lot ess than you initially believe). My last purchase was about 4 months ago ($50) via mail and I've still got lots left.

This is great stuff. My holy grail. I'll be a user for as long as they keep making it. The Canadian folks at Jazma are hookin' a sistah up!

Last edited:

Lucia

I wanted to go back natural. I came to this conclusion before the texturizer that my hair was allergic to chemical straightners. And I believe my experiment proved that I am right. Some people beat theirselves up to have a relaxer and never figure out why their hair always look bad whatever they do. They need to understand that relaxers are not for everyone. I tried chemical relaxers 3 times in my life and each time have been unsuccessful. I am very diligent in my haircare.

THanks for pointing this out because I've thought this for a while and it seems that it is true for a good number of people regardless of hairtype and thickness of hair.

delp

I tried it. It takes about 5 hrs. to apply the texturizer. you have to have natural hair. it is a different chemical from lye or no-lye. will cost about 70 dollars. suppose to last about 3 mths. the results looked good when i left. The very next day looked like a big frizzy mess. Call the makers of the product. I think they were up in Canada or something, told me how to use the maintance products. Did not have good results. also, after a month of having the product in my hair my hair started get thin in the top like male pattern baldness. Let's just say, I did not get the retouch.

Healthb4Length

delp said:
I tried it. It takes about 5 hrs. to apply the texturizer. you have to have natural hair. it is a different chemical from lye or no-lye. will cost about 70 dollars. suppose to last about 3 mths. the results looked good when i left. The very next day looked like a big frizzy mess. Call the makers of the product. I think they were up in Canada or something, told me how to use the maintance products. Did not have good results. also, after a month of having the product in my hair my hair started get thin in the top like male pattern baldness. Let's just say, I did not get the retouch.

The problem may have been the way it was applied. In your response you said it took 5 hours! That's ridiculous! It shouldn't have taken any longer than a regular relaxer in fact it should be taken out quicker than a regular relaxer! You can use just about any relaxer (lye or no lye) to apply to your hair. I did it when my hair was NOT NATURAL and I had stellar results, I know every one is different and have different body pHs but I think that who-ever applied it did it wrong...5 hours way too much time. I've done it with their relaxers and have gone on to do it with other brand relaxers and have had no negative effects. You said that you started to have thinning like male pattern baldness...that is the FAULT of the stylist, they did not know what they were doing. Whatever route you decide to go natural or chemical, know that NO STYLIST SHOULD EVER LEAVE ANY CHEMICALS ON YOUR HAIR FOR 5 HOURS!!!!

www.fotki.com/nubian7
password:hair

Phoenix

Alli77 said:
The problem may have been the way it was applied. In your response you said it took 5 hours! That's ridiculous! It shouldn't have taken any longer than a regular relaxer in fact it should be taken out quicker than a regular relaxer! You can use just about any relaxer (lye or no lye) to apply to your hair. I did it when my hair was NOT NATURAL and I had stellar results, I know every one is different and have different body pHs but I think that who-ever applied it did it wrong...5 hours way too much time. I've done it with their relaxers and have gone on to do it with other brand relaxers and have had no negative effects. You said that you started to have thinning like male pattern baldness...that is the FAULT of the stylist, they did not know what they were doing. Whatever route you decide to go natural or chemical, know that NO STYLIST SHOULD EVER LEAVE ANY CHEMICALS ON YOUR HAIR FOR 5 HOURS!!!!

www.fotki.com/nubian7
password:hair

The video directs you to apply the product section by section-timing and rinsing each section individually. I think maybe she meant it took her a total of 5 hours to do her entire head, with the relaxer being left on each section for several minutes...not that she left the relaxer on one section for 5 hrs. At least I HOPE that's what she mean't.

Healthb4Length

I reviewed her post again and I see your point but as you stated even if she did it section by section it should not have taken 5 hours! I'm thinking that it should take about 1.5 hours if you follow the video instructions precisely...I'm telling ya the Stylist messed up, that really irks me because she's supposed to be trained to know better than leave any chemicals on anyone's hair for that long. She's lucky that all her hair didn't fall out or melt off completely.

Phoenix said:
The video directs you to apply the product section by section-timing and rinsing each section individually. I think maybe she meant it took her a total of 5 hours to do her entire head, with the relaxer being left on each section for several minutes...not that she left the relaxer on one section for 5 hrs. At least I HOPE that's what she mean't.

delp

are we talkin about Jazma wash and wear. I was told that was standard. I called about three stylist and all said that for the time limits.

Nefertiti0906

I just had it done recently (Last month). The relaxer was left on my head for about 20 minutes then rinsed out. The only thing that took time was the deep conditioning treatment.

delp

I had mine done about three years ago. Maybe, they changed the method/application. The three people I called were people the makers of the product recommended. I was very unhappy with the results and called the company. Waste of time. If it works for you, stay with it. I wanted to share my results/experience.