Need some advice...cut or not to cut???

Faith

My hair is waist length right now...and when wet is actually past it by an inch or two. My problem is I think the length is too much for me to handle. My hair was flourishing at bra strap (just past bra strap)..now I can't seem to get a handle on it.
I'm thinking of cutting it to just past my bra strap...so about 4-5". Good idea?? Or just leave it be and learn to deal? All I know is wash day is a MAJOR chore and I wash in sections. Sigh!

Any comments/advice welcome. :)

Last edited:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
All I can say is…Cut it! Here’s my personal experience:

I had my 4b hair about waist length for years. It was a HUGE chore caring for it. After a while, I was kind of like "Whatever!" and cut it up to my shoulders.
I hated it, of course! :lachen: :lachen:

But I did get used to it. I later cut it into a pixie, and it drove me bonkers for a while when I grew it out for a few years. What I discovered, after experiencing many, many different lengths, is my hair "likes" to be between arm-pit length and bra strap. It looks best there too, and is much less of a hassle. I can style it easily, and it always looked good.

Just do what best for your personal style. Sometimes long hair can just be too much hair. And if you don't like your cut, you can always grow it back in about a year to waist length.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Faith as your sister in hair I say CONGRATS ON WAIST LEGNTH! :)

I would cut if it's becoming a chore to take care of. This is why my ultimate goal is mid back and not waist legnth. How about mid back? Would that be short enough to make wash day easy? Whatever you decide to do can we have some pics please? :lol: I know I am a pest but I need an update so once you cut (or don't cut) snap a few pics. :grin:

Lovelylocs

Instead of cutting it all the way up to brastrap, why don't you try midback? Get a really good stylist though! Your album won't work for me so I don't really know what your hair looks like now. Is your only problem wash day?

beyondcute

Hair isnt meant to be a chore. If youre not happy with it let it go. I you miss it it will grow back. I say brastrap. Looks great and isnt that far from where you are now.

Faith

Legend/Poohbear: Thanks for the advice :)

Simplycee: Thank-you :kiss: If anything I will go midback. I'll try to take pics if my sister is up to it.

Lovelylocs: My problem is not only wash day. Combing it is a hassle too :lol:

I think---and I hate to say it but I'm tired of my hair. I need a vacation from it. I was a braids/interlocks girl for years. Over 5 years straight and I've done pretty well doing the hair out thing for over 1 1/2 years. I think I need a break. I won't cut at this time. I'll just interlock/braid it away. It's going to be summer anyways and my hair never does well in the heat so just as well.

Thanks ladies :)

Victorian

old head
It may take a little effort to get used to taking care of your hair at this longer length, but if you feel like you've waited it out long enough and tried to adjust and it still isn't getting any easier, then definitely cut it to the length you felt worked best. No reason to keep the length if it's getting on your nerves :yep:

ETA: I see you replied while I was typing my response. If a vacation is what you really need then go for it. You know best :yep:

sareca

I think you should to give yourself time to adjust... like a decade or so. If you still don't like it then you can cut it. :lachen: