Need Product recs-Creating a basket for a relative with coarse hair

gymfreak336

Hi Ladies :)

I am currently nursing my little cousins hair back to health. She has very coarse super thick hair that grows pretty quickly. On a scale of one to ten in terms of overall health, I would put her at a 7. The only issue really is cutting off some damage and trying to grow her sides back out which have broken off from tension and just inadequate hair. People always approach her hair as being something so tough that you can do whatever you want to it but we all know that that isn't the case. I decided to take the responsibility of doing her hair because well, at the rate she is going, she won't have any left.

She already has an overall negative body image and she doesn't like her hair. She complains about the thickness, she complains about the time it takes to do it, she complains about the overall look. Most people just trying rip a comb through it or relax it to the point of death. I am hoping that doing this with her will help change her view about her hair and be the starting point for her feeling better overall about herself.

Currently I am washing and conditioning her hair every 5-7 days. I then either do a airdry braid out or blowdry and flat iron. I want to give her a basket of hair products for Christmas. I'm looking for product recs of some thing I can get to put in it.
Shampoo, conditioner, leave in, daily moisturizer etc....

If you have any ideas on products I can purchases, preferably things I can get in large sizes, please let me know.

isabella09

:clapping: That’s such a lovely thing that you’re doing! Unfortunately, I could only wish to have coarser hair but I’ve heard that Qhemet Biologics’s Amla & Olive Heavy Cream is very good as a daily moisturizer. Currently from their range I’m using and love the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm and Burdock Root Butter Cream :lick: they are truly wonderful products which keep my hair wonderfully soft and hydrated all day :cloud9: (my strands are fine/medium). Lastly, they are having a sale, details as follows- hope this helps :);

Qhemet Biologics News!
Mark your calendars for our 20% off - Black Friday sale!!!!
The sale starts on November 27th at 7 AM EST and ends on November 27th at 11 PM EST and applies to orders over 34.00. The coupon code is CULTURE and will only be active during the 16 hour sale window! Enter the coupon code at check-out.
Order intake will be suspended on November 4th to fill existing orders and restock inventory to prepare for the sale. All products will be listed as "out of stock" from November 4th - November 26th and from November 28th onward until all of the Black Friday orders have shipped.
So order before November 4th if you'd like to sample a few products before the sale!
Click here http://www.qhemetbiologics.com to visit our website.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Select QB products are now available at Uncle Funky's Daughter Salon & Boutique in Houston, Texas!
More store locations are listed here: http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=13

QB offers a unique line of premium, natural products based on African, Mediterranean & Ayurvedic haircare traditions. As a proud member of the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, our products do not contain mineral oil, silicones, sls, phthalates, parabens, dmdh hydantoin, triclosan, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, diazolidinyl urea or imidazolidinyl urea.

* Limit one coupon code per person, excluding the cost of shipping. Coupon has no cash value and cannot be combined with any other offers or coupons. Offer not valid on purchases made before or after the sale date or time. Offer expires November 27th, 2009 at 11:00 PM Eastern Time.

Last edited:

Leesh

I don't have any Rec's right now, But Dang, That has to be the Sweetest thing that I have heard of in a while, that is such a Great Idea, and You are such a Good Friend, Boy, I know She appreciates having You in Her Life. Just had to come in to say that!

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
This is interesting. I'm making an Xmas basket for my sister to take to Ghana, lol. I put olive oil, ao white camelia, coconut oil, nexxus for her protein, trader joes nourish spa, lustersilk, Giovanni sas, ojon, and Aussie. That's all I have so far. She's going for a year and the weather is tough on her hair she's a straight up 4b.

Hopefully your cousin works through her body issues as well. Even with great hair it helps to have a good outlook on herself as a whole.

purplepeace79

Kudos to you.
Might I recommend Carol's Daughter gift baskets?
I just bought my friend one for $29 (they are on sale)
The Tui basket one is good and you can add other products like the Mimosa Hair Honey and the Tui Oil

classychic1908

That's an awesome, thoughtful idea. I second the qhemet products you really can't go wrong with anything they have to offer. I'm also a fan of Aubrey Organics white camellia conditioner, Kinky Curly curling custard, shea or mango butter, maybe some nice infused oils in pretty bottles, a pretty comb, a kids book on loving natural hair... Oh and some super cute hair accessories to jazz things up when she's in a protective style.

No matter what's in the basket she'll love it and appreciate you so much for doing this for her.

ceebee3

What a nice idea, just in time for the holidays. You're doing a nice thing.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations besides olive oil, I love that stuff.

Desarae

My faves:
Taliah Wajiid Protective Mist Bodifier
Jilbere Shower Comb
Mizani Thermasmooth (Shampoo, Conditioner, and Serum)
Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide
Satin/Silk Scarf/Bonnet
Satin Pillow Case
T Shirt with Length Marks on Back (for inspiration)
Vatika or Olive Oil
Lacio Lacio

beana

I can relate to your cousin's hair type/description... when i was younger people tried to use super strength relaxers, told me i should do "something to thin" my hair out :ohwell: and all kinds of nonsense.

In terms of products:
Elucence MB shampoo
Silk Elements megasilk condit (the one with the bronze jar top)
salerm or lacio lacio leave in
Coconut oil
jilbere shower comb

locabouthair

Kudos to you.
Might I recommend Carol's Daughter gift baskets?
I just bought my friend one for $29 (they are on sale)
The Tui basket one is good and you can add other products like the Mimosa Hair Honey and the Tui Oil

I have very coarse hair. I tried carols daughter products and I hated them. Especially the leave in.

What I like is wave nouveau lmoisturizing lotion. I notice gylcerin products work well on my hair.

I tried Joico moisture conditoner and the first time I used it I LOVED IT! Then I used it two more times and my hair didnt feel like it did the first time. I dont know what happened.

Thats very sweet of you gym!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
That is so nice gymfreak! I have coarse hair and here are a few of the things my hair likes:

Shampoos:

EQP creme conditioning shampoo
ORS creamy aloe shampoo
Keracare hydrating shampoo

Condtioners:

Moisture-
ORS repleneshing conditioner
Redken smooth down butter treat
Miss Keys 10 en 1
Aveda damage remedy

Protein-
Aphogee 2 min recon
ORS hair mayo
EQP intense

Oils/leave-ins:

Salerm 21 leave in
S-curl
coconut oil
castor oil
EQP mango butter

Like locabouthair my hair also loves glycerin based products and anything with silk protein in it.

Last edited:

trinigul

Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave-In Conditioner: http://darcysbotanicals.com/natural...ditioning/new-daily-leave-in-conditioner.html

I LURVE this stuff. I put it my hair before I do anything else. Moisture! Moisture! Moisture!

My 7-yo niece had a sleep over and one of her friends had the driest hair out. I put the leave-in mentioned above and sealed it with Anita Grant's Cafe Latte then covered that with a plastic cap. Mother later called me and wanted the URLs.