Naturals - Your Hair Washing Methods

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hola! :wave:

I'm trying to teach my daughter the proper way to wash her natural hair(therefore learning myself) She's 4b

How do you natural ladies wash your hair?

Do you smooth in the poo or conditioner, distribute with a detangling brush, then rinse?

Do you smooth in poo or conditioner, scrub with your fingers then rinse?

Do you smooth in poo or conditioner, scrub with your fingers, detangle with brush, then rinse?

If it is none of these, tell me your methods and how they work best you; for less tangles.

Thanks for your help!

~op~

laketta

I wash mine in 4 sections in the shower now because piling it on top of my head and detangling it became a nightmare as it got longer.

I put the conditioner in each section and clip it up to keep the sections seperate and put on a plastic cap.

sillygurl18

I usually

1. poo or no-poo
2. scrub with fingers
3. detangle ( sometimes with a tool sometimes with my fingers)
4. Rinse

MeccaMedinah

sillygurl18 said:
I usually

1. poo or no-poo
2. scrub with fingers
3. detangle ( sometimes with a tool sometimes with my fingers)
4. Rinse

That's the same way I do myself and my daughter.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I just part my hair in the shower and one section at a time, I apply a conditioner and some oil. I then proceed to detangle this way. When I shampoo, I just apply it to my scalp and massage in a circular motion. I then proceed with my conditioner, using the previous explanations.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
  1. Section hair into 4-6 loose braids. Pre-wash with olive/castor oil mixture and let it stay in for 20 minutes or more. Put plastic cap on head.
  2. Dilute shampoo in 2.5 cups of water.
  3. Wash braided sections in the sink.
  4. Unloosen a section at a time, place cholesterol conditioner on hair, comb through.
  5. Rinse

ShortyDooWhop

I sent this to a friend. Trust me when I say that my hair has improved drastically (growth, manageability) since adopting my routine. As with anything, you have to find what works for your own hair. If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll tell you about my leave in -

Pre-Shampoo Treatment

This is not an exact science and I experiment with what works for my hair. I will caution you though - this mixture can be really runny, sticky, and somewhat messy. Having said all of that, I recommend you use a very creamy conditioner.

· Honey

· Extra Virgin Olive Oil

· Castor Oil

· Jojoba Oil

· Your Favorite Creamy Conditioner (Cheap. I like Suave Milk and Honey)

Extras that I like to add because of their moisturizing properties:

· Aloe Vera Gel (avail. at health food stores)

· Whole Foods Brand Chamomile Conditioner (also excellent as a leave in)

Combine all of the above ingredients. [Again, I would use more of the conditioner. If you make it too runny, more will end up on your face and neck than on your hair.] Either warm them in the mirco-wave for about 30 seconds - until warm, or sit under a heating cap. You can keep this mixture on your hair for as long as you would like. I tend to keep it on for at least 1/2 hour.

Shampoo

The combination that I've made is ultra moisturizing and my natural hair loves it.*

· Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap, diluted (this soap is a 16-in-1 all purpose soap that is ultra moisturizing and restores the hair's natural pH balance).

· Aloe Vera Gel

· Olive Oil

· Jojoba Oil

Combine the above in a bottle, and lather up. One wash is sufficient. Alone, the soap is very moisturizing and will make your hair feel super soft. You shouldn't need to use a conditioner. Alternately, adding the mixture with the Aloe Vera Gel and Olive Oil provide more than enough moisture. However, if you need to, use a conditioner.

[*Alternative drugstore brand shampoos that I love are Cream of Nature or alternatively, I use the Suave Milk and Honey Conditioner for a conditioner wash.]

SDW

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I'm doing CG..so I CW everyday...just my hair.. the outer layer, underneath, the nape area, the sides, etc.. I distribute in both hands and put it on the length of my hair and then rake it through.. I scalp cleanse my hair once a week before with conditioner..now with DevaCurl No Poo.. I scrub my scalp with my fingertips in a circular motion..for about 4 minutes... afterwards I rinse that out and then use like One Condition to CW the rest of my hair...I let that sit while I actually take a shower..

I don't use an actual comb.. my fingers are my comb.. no brush either..:grin:

Daughter

UK Blak
Chicoro said:
  1. Section hair into 4-6 loose braids. Pre-wash with olive/castor oil mixture and let it stay in for 20 minutes or more. Put plastic cap on head.
  2. Dilute shampoo in 2.5 cups of water.
  3. Wash braided sections in the sink.
  4. Unloosen a section at a time, place cholesterol conditioner on hair, comb through.
  5. Rinse

Ditto, my methos is similar. :)

TigerLily

onepraying said:
Hola! :wave:

I'm trying to teach my daughter the proper way to wash her natural hair(therefore learning myself) She's 4b

How do you natural ladies wash your hair?

Do you smooth in the poo or conditioner, distribute with a detangling brush, then rinse?

Do you smooth in poo or conditioner, scrub with your fingers then rinse?

Do you smooth in poo or conditioner, scrub with your fingers, detangle with brush, then rinse?

If it is none of these, tell me your methods and how they work best you; for less tangles.

Thanks for your help!

~op~

Hey, I'm a 4b, too! :) Here's what I do:

massage in the poo, rinse. massage in conditioner, then comb/fingercomb, rinse.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
You guys are sooooo great for helping us out! :up:

Now this may seem a little unorthodoxed but this is how I remember learning to wash my hair when I was little. This is only until she is big enough to wash in the sink or shower:

I have her run a bath of about 4-6 inches of water. She then lays her whole self back where her hair is emersed in the water. The water isn't deep enough to cover her face.

After she wets her hair, she adds her poo. Massages and then detangles/distributes with her Denman.

She then dips her head back in the tub several times and massages while her hair is emersed in the water. This is her rinse. She then squeezes out the excess water and adds her cond.. She massages it in, uses her brush to distribute and detangle.

I believe she is ready to move on to a more concentrated washing session. I bought one of those hose attachments; so we will be trying out some of your methods. Particularly the washing in sections. We'll find something that is right for her.

Thanks again ladies!

~op~

babyblue

1. divide my hair in 4 sections with elastic bands and braid lenght loosely
2. rinse with warm water
3. apply shampoo to scalp and scrub using downward zig zag motions using finger pads (I dont wash each braided section individually, i kind of scrub my whole head at once).
4. rinse
5. loosen braids and apply conditioner
6. detangle with fingers then comb out with wide tooth comb
7. rinse out conditioner
8. add leave in and other products
9. style

Sometimes i do a pretreatment before i wash if my hair is really tangled.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
PhonyBaloney500 said:
Do people deep condition AFTER (no)pooing or after? Hmm! I just wondered about that today!

HUH?:confused: Did you mean before no pooing or after? I deep condition like once every 2 weeks.. I've been lazy.. but it would be after no pooing..

Happy2BNappy

I comb/brush through first, then I poo not scrubbing too hard or wild. I like to do it in the shower with my back to the shower head. Once I rinse well, I apply a conditioner and comb through with a wide tooth comb. At that time I get out of the shower with a plastic cap and do things around the house (of course after I towel off! LOL) to give my hair a "warm" treatment. Getting back in the shower I rinse the conditioner off with the water running downward. I usually finger part my hair and let the water run on my scalp. Hope that helps. I find that if I massage my hair alot or hap-hazardly I get tangles. So I finger my hair downwards. Hope this helps.

Valerie

I tend to use a pre-conditioner on my hair, such as Olive oil or castor oil or a mixture of Olive oil, castor oil and wild-growth oil, then I shampoo, my hair twice, to get rid oof all the oil, I tend to mostly concentrate on the roots, then towel my hair and apply conditioner for 2-10 mins, then rinse out the conditioner and then rinse with a mixture of water, rosewater, glycerine and one teaspoon of conditioner. Add some wild growth oil to the hair and comb throughout and style.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
section
wet
smooth on shampoo or conditioner in one direction only
hold section and massage shampoo or conditioner on to the scalp with the other hand
-----fingertips only no scratching or scrubbing with nails bad bad very bad
detangle with conditioner or shampoo still in
rinse in sections

PhonyBaloney500

RushGirl said:
HUH?:confused: Did you mean before no pooing or after? I deep condition like once every 2 weeks.. I've been lazy.. but it would be after no pooing..

Yeah that's what I meant I think lol. Dang so that means I need to take a shower and wash, deep condition, and then get in again to rinse it out! Booo!

tropicexotic

free @ last
At what length did you all start sectioning? I'm thinking when I get to 6-7 inches it might be more beneficial, I'm doing fine not sectioning right now. I'm at about 4-5 inches all over.