Naturals, How Do You Flat Iron Without Killing Your Hair?

emerald06

I have two and a half years worth of natural hair. :D I love it, but I want a change. I've never pressed any of this hair. The only time I pressed was during my transition, and even that was only a few times. I want to go back to my natural wash and go curls without the damage, but I want to wear my hair straight for a while too.

So for those of you who have been successful:

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand?

What temp?

What's your hair type? How straight does it get your hair?

What do you use for protection? :sekret:

How long does your straight style last?

How do you protect it at night?

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting?

What other tips would you give?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

CarefreeinChicago

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? maxiglide

What temp? 10

What's your hair type? 4a/b
How straight does it get your hair? it depends on weather in cold month it gets relaxer straight in summer humidity its puffy

What do you use for protection? lutrasilk straight effetcts (only once in a while) mizani thermasmooth system

How long does your straight style last? first week wear down second week bun

How do you protect it at night? rollers silk scarf satin pillowcases

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? a little wild growth oil on the ends at night

What other tips would you give? let it air dry then flat iron so not to use double heat

Thanks in advance for your advice![/QUOTE]

glamazon386

I go to the salon to get my hair flat ironed but I've done it myself once. It turned out okay but I prefer to go to the salon. It's quicker and he does a better job.

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? He uses a flat iron. It's just a regular ceramic one. I believe it's the one they sell in the shop. It's not a maxiglide or chi or anything. I also have a regular Revlon ceramic flat iron that I use at home

What temp? I'm not sure but there's no smoke or burning smell. On my Iron I do it on #5.

What's your hair type? How straight does it get your hair? I'm a 4a. My hair looks like a fresh relaxer when he's done.

What do you use for protection? :sekret: He uses Redken Heat Glide When I did it myself I roller set first and let it airdry. Then used the Fantasia serum on each section before flat ironing.

How long does your straight style last? Until I wash it again. The first time it lasted like 2 weeks.

How do you protect it at night? Wear a satin bonnet

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? I didn't really have to put anything in it.

What other tips would you give? If you're going to do it yourself, take your time and be careful. If you're going to go to the salon, don't just go to anybody. Either go to somebody based off of a recomendation of another natural or go and have a consultation with the stylist. Do both if needed. You and the stylist need to be on the same page.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

ladylibra

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use?
flat iron, although next time i may let my stylist attempt the hot comb press (i wanna see if it's better)

What's the brand?
i use the Sally's CHI knockoff, my stylist uses the actual CHI. i think they are pretty equal :grin:

What temp?
um... i don't remember! :confused: whatever the highest number on the dial is, i only go to the halfway point. i think it goes up to 15 so that would be 7 1/2. i have no idea what my stylist puts it on, but she did a good job and my hair wasn't burning (no smoke, no smell) :look:

What's your hair type?
OS thready, thick hair and thick strands (4a-ish if you're more familiar with Andre's crappy system)

How straight does it get your hair?
very straight, but not flat. which is how i like it :grin: you're welcome to look thru my Fotki pics to see: http://public.fotki.com/ladylibra1982/

at home i use Silk Elements heat protectant spray, it's AWESOME and gives great shine and feel to hair. then i straighten and add Aveda's anti-humectant pomade to prevent my hair from reverting. my stylist uses Redken shampoo/conditioner and a leave-in that kinda helps pull the curl out of my hair to blowdry with, then uses Mizani products to flat iron and sprays some anti-humectant stuff when finished. it left my hair lighter and it had more "swing" than using the Aveda pomade, but my hair reverted more easily. :ohwell:

a week, because after that i miss my curls and i don't feel like doing the necessary upkeep of wrapping and such, and i miss co-washing, i'm so used to wetting my hair in the shower now! :lol:

i have to wrap, my hair prefers it's curly state so it will use any excuse to not be straight.

sometimes i add a little WGO to my hair before wrapping at night if it feels dry.

*airdry in braids or twists. it will help pull your roots straight. i know many ladies complain that they can't get their roots with a flat iron, but i never have this problem. also this will help stetch your hair straight, and with it braided/twisted out of the way you can work in sections easily. i add WGO to my hair while braiding it up, but next time i'm gonna try some Garnier products instead so i'll let y'all know how that turns out. ;)

*find the right products for YOUR hair. i love the Silk Elements heat protectant spray, but previously i had used Silk Elements serum thinking it would work better and all it did was make my hair a frizzy, coated mess. me no likey. :mad: but some women swear by serums.

*don't use a whole lot of products or overdo it with one particular product, especially if you're going for "swingy" hair. for example too much of the Aveda pomade is going to make your hair look greasy and sticky.

*consider the weather and seasons. last year when i straightened around July 4th, my hair was looking cute when i got done... but as soon as i stepped outside into the humid summer weather - INSTANT POOF! :lol: it was still cute but it just looked like a blowout instead of a press. i stick to fall and winter to do most of my straightening now... less moisture in the air and having hair on your neck or back doesn't make you feel hot and annoyed. (or maybe that's just me... when i straighten my hair it's not to put it up in a ponytail, i wanna wear it down and show it off a bit... yeah i'm vain :look: )

ClassicBeauty

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand?
Flat iron. I use a jilbere that I bought at Sally's many years ago.

What temp?
I turn it up pretty high. I've learned that it's better for me to turn it up high and only run it through once rather than running it through each section like 2-3 times.

3b & 3c. My hair looks relaxed when it's straight.

Silk Elements Heat Protection

As long as I want it too. I usually try to do it every week, but it has lasted more than two weeks before. (Usually by the second week it's in a ponytail.) Now if it's raining outside, that's a different story.

If I wrapped it every night, I could definitely go 2 weeks. I usually wrap it the first few nights, but after that I just fall asleep however. (I know that's a no-no here.:lol: ) My hair may be down, in a ponytail, bun, whatever.
I usually only use a shine or some biosilk. All the leave-ins and deep conditioner I use usually keeps my hair from being dry. I also DO NOT use a bloy dryer. My hair doesn't like blow dryer heat at all.
I SHAMPOO my hair then condition. Then I deep condition and sit under the dryer for a few minutes. After I rinse that out, I rollerset my hair with big rollers and leave in conditioner and then SIT UNDER a bonnet dryer to get it dry. That knocks out most of my natural curls (except those at the roots). Then I usually wrap it up for a while while the flat iron heats up. That knocks out some of the roller curls. Then I spray the heat protectant and flat iron it in small sections.

This all sounds long and tedious, but really the hardest part it sitting under the dryer. Get a good book, study, take a nap or whatever. It really helps. I think that's why my hair can take the flat iron every week or so. Condition, condition, condition!

Last edited:

NuMe2004

Emerald,

Check out my album at http://public.fotki.com/hair2004. I just posted a step-by-step flat iron tutorial. Look inside the folder titled "The Straightening Process-Blow Dry."

I am all natural and have been flat ironing my hair regularly now with no visible damage. I do it as much as 4x a month (every 7 days).

Happy hair growing!

GirlywithCurlies

My stylist uses a blowdryer, paddle brush and a Chi flat iron. At one point she was using a Marcel as well, but that was waaaaaaay too much heat for my tresses.

What temp?
Not sure, but it's not burning hot.

I'm a 4a/4b and my hair gets relaxer straight and shiny.

Leave-in conditioner and Redken Heat Glide.

Usually 10 days or so, possibly two weeks if I'm extra careful.

Wrap and cover with silk scarf while sleeping on satin pillow.

I use Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade and it has a beautiful shine with no reversion ever!

Don't over press, I had one piece that was racing back to nappy and decided to flat iron it again...mistake cuz that chunk of hair is straight as the day is long to this very day.

PinkSkates

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? A Kizure hot comb. I have a Chi and Sedu flat irons; but my skills are better with my old fashion hot comb.

What temp? I place it on white paper towels until it leaves no color on the paper towel. When I use a flat iron its on 150 degree.
What's your hair type? How straight does it get your hair? 4a according to Andre's typing system.
What do you use for protection?:sekret: Aveda:Brilliant Damage Control, Universal Styling Creme, and Light Elements Smoothing Fluid.

How long does your straight style last? Two weeks, and longer if I didn't workout. I live in southern, CA and the heat is dry; so there is no humidity to help revert it.
How do you protect it at night? I usually wrap it and then put on my satin doo-rag.
How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? I lightly apply Aveda's Universal styling creme to the ends and seal with a little Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

What other tips would you give? If you are going to do it yourself, take your time; and make sure your hair is detangled super well, so you don't run into snags while you are straightening your hair.

chocolate01

I use a maxiglide

What temp?

I am bad, I turn it all the way to 10, that is the highest but I pass it through once and i'm done

my hair gets relaxer straight, see my album. I don't type my hair so I am not sure

Redkin Heat Glide and PM The Conditioner as a leave-in

2 weeks

wrap or put it in a bun and tie with a scarf

I use carrot oil when necessary, it does not revert my hair

don't be scared, not everyone has a bad experience with heat. this past winter I straighted my hair 2x a month from dec to april and did not have a problem.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? I use a regular 'ole ceramic flatiron. I have a maxiglide but it's too big and bulky for me right now, I might try it again once my hair grows longer.

What temp? Between 8 and 10

What's your hair type? 4a How straight does it get your hair? . My hair looks like I have a relaxer

What do you use for protection? :sekret: Maxis heat protectant and also Fantasia IC (the red bottle)

How long does your straight style last? Usually for one week but I'm aiming for 2 weeks this go around.

How do you protect it at night? I pincurl then put on my satin cap

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? Believe or not Miss Jessie's baby buttercream. When I first tried it I just knew I was gonna wake up with a fro but imagine my surprise when my hair was still straight yet very moisterized...my co-workers were shocked also. :shocked:

What other tips would you give? Deep condition EVERYtime you wash your hair to counteract the effects of using heat.

HHG

Bint Yusef

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? Chi Turbo

What temp? The highest that sucker will go

What's your hair type? How straight does it get your hair? I have everything from 3b-3c

What do you use for protection? :sekret: chi silk infusion

How long does your straight style last? i have no idea. i normally wash it out after a week. its never to the point of reversion by then.

How do you protect it at night? bun.

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? i dont, it normally does not need it.

less product the better it looks.

i blow dry with comb attachment before pressing.

Last edited:

SVT

Jilbere Ceramic Tools flat iron

What temp?

My hair is a mix of crimps and waves

What do you use for protection?
coconut oil

I keep it straight for a week.

silky scarf

I always have some amount of reversion but I maintain it with coconut oil. Sometimes I rub a small amount of moisturizing treatment or light protein on the ends.

Do a protein treatment before straightening. Air dry or blow dry on cold setting. Iron in small sections. Turn the thermostat down and use a small fan to keep you and your hair cool. Try rollerseting or pincurling to style pressed hair.

Brownchiq

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? Flat Iron. I have a Chi Turbo and now I have a GVD
What temp?
All the way to the TOP baby, unless Im just kinda touching up.
3c, 4a I think. It gets it bone straight. Its all the technique which I am TRYING to master :)
What do you use for protection? Chi Silk Infusion and Namaste thermal gloss protectant

How long does your straight style last? I work out way too much so it only last about 2-4 days until I have to touch it up or wash it out :(

How do you protect it at night? silk scarf and satin pillow case

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? I dont moisturize.

Dont be so heavy handed in your products. you might think you have to due to the thickness of your hair, but it will only leave your hair weighed down and it will revert back quickly.

SVT

It's always a surprise to see my survey answers from way back. I need to update. :yep:

FAMUDva

What kind of tool (flat iron, electric comb, etc.) do you use? What's the brand? FHI Runway, H2Pro 206LE and CHI

What temp? my CHI doesn't have temp, just on off, and with the FHI/H2Pro if I'm starting from a wash and blow dry I use between 400-425

What's your hair type? How straight does it get your hair? IDK... 4 somthing is my type. I have coarse, thick hair. My hair gets relaxer straight with flat ironing.

What do you use for protection? :sekret: At my salon he uses design essentials silk essentials. At home I use whatever was on sale :look:. But Thermal Resist by Redkin and Rusk Thermal Str8 are what I currently have on hand. I also have the H2Po Silk, but I just got the free with my new iron and haven't used it yet.

How long does your straight style last? Lately it last until I shampoo, so that can be from 7-10 days. It would probably last 14 days but my hair starts to stink after 10 so I shampoo.

How do you protect it at night?wrap or pin curl and then silk hair tie. If my press is old I do a dry set with flexi rods.

How do you moisturize your hair while straight without it reverting? organic coconut oil on my ends after unwrapping every other morning.

What other tips would you give? Don't be afraid... All flat irons are not made for all heads. What works for my hair may be too much for your hair and what works for another person may not be good enough for you.