Natural transitioning back to being fully Natural--step away from the press and heat

bluediamond0829

Well since I've been natural believe me I enjoy it, but I get a couple people that ask me why I don't wear my natural hair out. I'm really quick to get my hair pressed (ALOT) over the time that I have been natural which has been 3 years I haven't worn my natural hair out hardly any because I hate the shrinkage. I've noticed that because I press SO much that I have stragely straight pieces when I'm trying to wear my hair curly(doesn't look real nice). I would really love to start wearing my hair out in the curly state even more, because I notice that some of my pressed areas look really thin.

Heres my questions is their a way to revert or for those straight pieces that I have to get their natural curl pattern back? I really would hate to cut them because its alot of them.

Do I have to transition basically from pressing? I have quite a few here and their I can't even really wear a afro puff or I could probably do a natural hair style, like a twist out, but I haven't tried it.

I decided this morning that since I kept seeing these same straight pieces that I will have to transition from being pressed :( if that makes sense. So back to the drawing board with the wigs, weaves, and braids etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem and what did you do?

:(

Artemis

Re: Natural transitioning back to being fully Natural--step away from the press and

Hi BD,

If you aren't already, pull out the protein reconstructors (like Joico Kpak) 1-2x/month. Deep condition weekly for the other weeks in the month and do wet sets for a while (like flat twist outs, flexirod sets, braid outs). After a month or two, any hair that doesn't revert back will need to be cut or gradually trimmed off. But in the mean time, you can still wear "curly styles" with the wet sets.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

Re: Natural transitioning back to being fully Natural--step away from the press and

How long have the straight pieces been there? When you shampoo/DC/etc does your hair ever revert back to curly? Are there still some straight pieces? You more than likely have heat damage.

HHJ on wearing your natural hair in it's curly state!

bluediamond0829

Thank you ladies!

Actually it just started and hasn't been all over. Yes some of my hair does revert but I just have some stragely pieces.

I'll do some more reading about it to see what I can do. And thanks for the advice about protein conditioners, i'll give that a try.

bludaydreamr

I've started to used Aphoghee 2 minute more frequently, and it has helped to revert my heat damage. I will continue to nurse the hair back to a healthy state, I don't plan on cutting it off. I have also started to incorporate more heat in my regimen, so if I notice that that damaged hair is weaker or breaking from the heat then I may consider a hair cut, but it would have to be a lot breakage.