Natural Rollerset Results & Length Check After 2 inch Trim

kblc06

In preparation for the Natural Rollerset challenge, I trimmed 2 inches off of my ends a little over a week ago. I had so many splits and breakage because I had been neglecting my hair (not tying it up, not moisturizing etc), so I thought I'd start over. In addition to that, constantly S&Ding and my V-shaped tail were beginning to make my hair look very thin and scraggly. Most of the layers are gone and for the first time in a long time, my hair looks and feels thick. After rollersetting and using my new dryer, I decided to lightly flat iron and do a lenth check. Since I did my trim after a rollerset/saran wrap, I thought it may have been uneven due to the ends being slightly curled, but surprisingly it was very blunt. I'm honestly not disappointed at all about losing the length-my hair feels and looks so much healthier that it was worth the trade-off :yep:

Here are pics of my most recent rollerset, & silk wrap

Here are pic of my hair after lighly flat-ironing:

Your Cheeziness

This looks like a salon set and I wouldn't have thought you were natural with that sleek hair! It sucks to lose length sometimes, but a well-needed trim can do a world of good!

kblc06

This looks like a salon set and I wouldn't have thought you were natural with that sleek hair! It sucks to lose length sometimes, but a well-needed trim can do a world of good!

Thanks-it's taken a while to get to this point. But, ya know something? It's surprising how I perceive my hair as being longer just because its so much fuller. My hair was bsl, but reaching that goal didn't feel as fufilling as it would've have been if my hair was full bsl with even healthy ends. My hair is about an inch below APL so I should be back to BSL before summer. As a hair anorexic, I never thought I'd live to see the day where I would believe my hair was longer after it had been cut :drunk:.

Last edited:

Eclass215

Absolutely gorgeous!! I am so jealous right now, I can't even front. I tried a rollerset for the first time a few weeks ago and it was horrible. What products did you use?

kblc06

Absolutely gorgeous!! I am so jealous right now, I can't even front. I tried a rollerset for the first time a few weeks ago and it was horrible. What products did you use?
-
-Shampooed hair w/ Joico K-Pak reconstructor.
-DC w/ Joico K-Pak reconstructor, K-pak Deep Penetrating Keratin Reconstructor & Joico Moisture recovery (I applied it one on top of the other-mixed, not seperately). You may or may not want to use so much protein, but my hair definitely needed it
-I diluted UltraSheen Super Setting lotion with water (until very light blue), and I applied Cantu shea Butter leave-in and Chi Silk infusion to each section. I also applied a mist of Kemi-Oyl mixed with water (for a softer hold).

I don't normally use very many products because they build-up on my hair very easily. Did you use the rollers with the snap covers? I find that my sets turn out very bumpy without them; even if they cover is slightly too small, it still prevents my hair from rising like dough as it dries

Thaidreams: It did! I was swinging it from left to right :lachen: . I definitely think the trim had something to do with it

Last edited:

Eclass215

-

I don't normally use very many products because they build-up on my hair very easily. Did you use the rollers with the snap covers? I find that my sets turn out very bumpy without them; even if they cover is slightly too small, it still prevents my hair from rising like dough as it dries

Thanks for the info. I did use the rollers with the snap cover, but my hair did not turn out as shiny and smooth. I think I need better products (and to make sure it's ALL the way dry).

Here's my results - I almost don't even want to show them compared to yours! :ohwell:

Attachments

• Rollerset.jpg
    Rollerset.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Curls.jpg
    Curls.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 54

imstush

Your hair came out beautiful.

I have yet to take pics...I did my first ponytail set the other day. Question, did you even need to go over your hair with the flatiron after the saran wrap?

My "silk wraps" always come out puffy, so that's why I ask.

kblc06

Your hair came out beautiful.

I have yet to take pics...I did my first ponytail set the other day. Question, did you even need to go over your hair with the flatiron after the saran wrap?

My "silk wraps" always come out puffy, so that's why I ask.

Not really, but my edges are usually puffy because they are a different texture (sorta like a Peggy Bundy do in the front :lachen:). I don't really mind, but after manipulating my hair for a couple of days or pulling it in a ponytail and tying it down, they lay smoothly and no longer have that hump

I've found that if I leave my hair wrapped overnight, I get pretty much the same results

kblc06

Thanks for the info. I did use the rollers with the snap cover, but my hair did not turn out as shiny and smooth. I think I need better products (and to make sure it's ALL the way dry).

Here's my results - I almost don't even want to show them compared to yours! :ohwell:

What are you talking about-your curls looks great. That's pretty much how mine looked for my first 10 trials. Not drying all the way can definitely result in a frizzy set. There have been many times where I said F*%# it and just took them out and slicked my hair back :ohwell: . No one wants to waste 2 hours putting in rollers only to have it come out much less than perfect :nono:

Eclass215

What are you talking about-your curls looks great. That's pretty much how mine looked for my first 10 trials. Not drying all the way can definitely result in a frizzy set. There have been many times where I said F*%# it and just took them out and slicked my hair back :ohwell: . No one wants to waste 2 hours putting in rollers only to have it come out much less than perfect :nono:

:yep: you are so right. And thank you - I feel little better now (I only wore that style for one day :look:). Ok, I may try again...and again, and again until I can get it the way I really want.

kblc06

:yep: you are so right. And thank you - I feel little better now (I only wore that style for one day :look:). Ok, I may try again...and again, and again until I can get it the way I really want.

Here's another tip, I noticed this after looking at your roller application: Don't put so much hair on the roller. Doing smaller sections results in less bunching and hair is not hanging off the roller-those bits that are not on the roller will dry as it normally would had you left it in its natural state. Something I learned from experience is don't attempt to do them when your tired or don't have time to properly do it. You will end up with a shabby application and then become frustrated with your hair to the point you will throw rollers across the room.. :look:

I have a detailed tutorial in my fotki album if you want to take a look

Last edited: